GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Everything Emulator related
EazyE
Please Continue...

Re: GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Post by EazyE »

First off I'm a n00b and most of this is over my head. But I did follow cools' guide.

Just jumping in here after researching how to solve some of the later CAVE games' audio "echo". After reading a few pages of this thread, I came to my own conclusion that frame_delay is "bad". I changed two settings in mame.ini:

frame_delay 0
multithreading 1 (why is it off?)

Now the problem CAVE games seem to run fine. What is the purpose of frame_delay? Does it help slower systems and hurt faster ones?

The only questionable bit is the title screen of Muchi Pork. It seems like it still echoes, but the gameplay is fine. Might just be how the audio was intended. Also tested Deathsmiles which runs flawless.

I'm running a AMD FX 3.5 GHz 6-core overclocked to 5.0 GHz. Corsair H60 liquid cooler. No hotter than 40C in an intense Muchi Pork shootout :think:
Dexa

Post by Dexa »

just wondering: what is the reason to use the emu crt/ati card setup with a 31khz screen? isnt the resolution natively supported anyway?
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

cools wrote: Hardware requirements
  • A monitor capable of 31KHz (VGA) input. LCD or CRT, doesn't matter - you can't set up Windows blind.
Has anyone had any issues using CRT_EMU_DRIVER on a 15Khz monitor?

- In FightCade / Final Burn Alpha I never get a screen resolution that looks us good as I have it in GroovyArcade. The whole screen is very wavy, I can only get full screen on the experimental mode, not the DDraw7 modes.
- If Win7 crashes and reboots, the screen is out of sync and I need to plug the PC back into an LCD to reconfigure the interlaced mode.

I'm going to create another thread and do a comparison of Win7 CRT_EMU_DRIVER, GroobyArcade and real hardware so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Dexa: saves mode switching to and from game when the front end looks better in 31k, and the scanlines aren't as harsh.

Lacanian: FBA etc do not work well with it, particularly full screen. The 31k is required for setup, once configured its not needed. Fwiw I've had no crashes here at all, but when I was beta testing I would have to do what you describe when I screwed up. Make sure that all the outputs from your card are configured with arcade_osd.
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

lacanian wrote: Has anyone had any issues using CRT_EMU_DRIVER on a 15Khz monitor?

- In FightCade / Final Burn Alpha I never get a screen resolution that looks us good as I have it in GroovyArcade. The whole screen is very wavy, I can only get full screen on the experimental mode, not the DDraw7 modes.
Well after a night of testing the wavy problem is the J-Pac's issue. I'm lucky I had another J-Pac here to prove that.

I didn't have Arcade_OSD set on both DVI ports of the card so I'll do that next, then test the full screen of FBA again.
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

The good news is FBA is playing nicely now.
- I think the problem was I wasn't in a resolution supported by Arcade_OSD. I was using the 640x480 @30 (interlaced) option within Windows. After changing my resolution to 640x240 FBA worked without any issues.

Some more questions:

1) What is the best resolution to set a 15kHz monitor using ArcadeOSD?
2) Is it worth changing vmmaker.ini YresMIN_XML=240 to =224? I have read Calamity say this is not needed for GroovyMAME as it has the smarts to deal with the resolution. Although for FBA I have to manually set the resolution as 384x240. I'm wondering if this stretches or impacts the image at all.
3) GroovyMAME doesn't scale the image correctly when ArcadeOSD is set at 384x240. However if I edit modelines.txt and have a rookie attempt at adding a 640x480 modeline (all the modelines I added ended up being interlaced) and then use ArcadeOSD to select that, GroovyMAME does't work due to switchres not finding a suitable resolution.

@cools, this is the basic stuff I'm having issues with however GroovyArcade is working fine for me at the moment during this testing. I've been following your other posts about input lag and to see which platform suits me best.

My next test is to see what FightCade is like on GroovyArcade. It looks like it installs Wine, so maybe its going to be exactly the same.

Thanks.
Last edited by lacanian on April 28th, 2015, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

I never got vsync working nicely full screen with fightcade/ggpo so gave it a miss.

As for 15k mode, depends what you're doing. I run 640x240 to improve font rendering in my frontend, but will switch to 640x480i for admin tasks.

If you're using super resolutions under Win 7 with groovymame (you should be) then you can have the specific modes for FightCade as well quite happily without having a massive mode list and the associated slow down.
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

Thanks @cools, I really appreciate the help. Happy to send you a beer anytime ;)

I did not know about super resolutions so I just found this post and will try that next chance I get and try the 640x240 resolution.
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/v ... php?id=259"

My current goal is to play some of my favorite games online. I may have to try some of the other software out there as well. Hopefylly the GGPO source code is released in the future.
lacanian
Please Continue...

Post by lacanian »

Well this has kicked my **** again tonight. I did a bit of reading over the forums to obtain an understanding but to no avail. I documented my steps thinking it would serve as a workflow for the next person with the same issue, now it can be read with those with the knowledge to see where I am going wrong.

Win7 Pro x64
CRT_EMU_DRIVER already installed, and VMMaker executed previously.
Sega Astro City Cab - MS9 @15kHz

- Extracted vmmaker 1.4
- edit VMMaker.ini
- add MameExe and IniPath
- Change: YresMin_XML = 224 (as a test for FightCade/FBA. Does it stretch the image or not)
- Change: ListFromXML = 0
- Change: GenerateXML = 0
- Change: ModeTableMethod_Custom = 0
- Rename ResList - super.txt to ReslList.txt
- edit mame.ini
- resolution 2560x0
- cleanstretch 2
- monitor arcade_15
- execute VMMaker.exe as admin
- Restart Windows 7

- Screen flickers. I plug in my 31kHz monitor and it does the same thing.
- I grab the LCD and run ArcadeOSD as admin.
- Lock unspported modes -> No
- Select 640x480 60i 59.889 15.601 custom
- Plug in my 15kHz monitor. The imaged is synced.
- Set as desktop mode
- Executed GroovyMame64 -> Error SwitchRes: could not find a video that meets your specs
- ArcadeOSD as admin
- Select 2560 240 60p 60.004 15.661 custom
- Executed GroovyMame64 -> Error SwitchRes: could not find a video that meets your specs
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

You need to post logs etc over on BYOAC.

As an aside, these are mutually exclusive:
- Change: YresMin_XML = 224 (as a test for FightCade/FBA. Does it stretch the image or not)
- Change: ListFromXML = 0

The latter disables XML usage so Yresmin_xml is ignored.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Okay, Win 7 coming soon. It's more bloody accurate than CPS1 hacked up onto CPS2 and I'm fed up of seeing requests for the latter.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I'm the same in that if I'm going non-original I might as well go mame. I can see the appeal of the CPS1>CPS2 thing though. The hardware's so similar that if it ever was successful it'd be more like running a Gameboy flashcart on a Gameboy Colour.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

What, made by the manufacturer to do so?
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Capcom did port between the systems. Though in this comparison each option is a hack in some way.

I'm taking a completely uneducated guess at what they'd have to break to port CPS. The appeal is because the hardware specs are comparatively similar.

I do agree with you in what I'd sooner do, for various reasons.
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Post by baddy »

Im already very happy with my w7 setup! Looking forward to reading you :D
HAN
Please Continue...
eBay: sega-boy123
Initials: HAN

Post by HAN »

I ran into several issues on my latest attempt to get groovymame running on my Blast City cabinet. Let me give a basic picture here so maybe some kind person can point out where I went wrong...

Mame pc = Win XP 32-bit (SP 2)

JPac to interface the controls.

graphics card = ATI Radeon HD 4670 (has only DVI out, using a basic DVI to VGA adapter to connect to the VGA on Blast City)

Direct X version 9.0c is on the machine, and due to Win XP not being officially supported, I was not able to get any newer Direct X version.

Tried updating Win XP to service pack 3 but it made my system unstable for some reason I could not figure out...would not get past the windows boot screen so I did a factory restore to get back to square 1 with SP 2.

I put the ATI Radeon card in the PC but didn't install the drivers, the basic windows drivers were used until I did the VM Maker program. When I ran the ArcadeOSD program, I did not see any of the additional resolutions or the "custom" option.

I fear that my VMMAKER.ini file was not set up properly, or not being able to update Direct X anymore has caused my issues....

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance to any and all advice!

PS I have heard soft-15KHz as another option to groovymame and is easier to use...is that an option for me in my application with a Blast City?
Check out my YouTube channel for arcade and console 1cc's and random arcade happenings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Tftw ... 6BsgvFBWoQ
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Sounds like bad hardware to me. Could be anything though. Start by getting the RAM checked.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

HAN wrote:
I put the ATI Radeon card in the PC but didn't install the drivers, the basic windows drivers were used until I did the VM Maker program. When I ran the ArcadeOSD program, I did not see any of the additional resolutions or the "custom" option.
Did you install the crt_emudriver ?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

There's an official guide for Windows 7 now: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/v ... php?id=290 :awe:
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

Hi fellas, was thinking of updating my eggy2 gm setup, currently at 0.159....what versions are you all running and is it even worth going to 0.163?

I remember cools and I saying we'd stick with 0.155!! :lol: :oops:
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!