leonardoliveira & Idc's clean decrypted roms

PCB problems and fixes
eletrotec1

Re: leonardoliveira & Idc's clean decrypted roms

Post by eletrotec1 »

idc wrote:
THX1138 wrote:Rockman the power battle decrypted set have a red screen at start.
Hope you can, when you've time to fix it and thanks for your hard work ^^
Noted, thank you.
My CPS2 Rockman power battle not revived with the decryption ... any solution?
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

eletrotec1 wrote:
idc wrote:
THX1138 wrote:Rockman the power battle decrypted set have a red screen at start.
Noted, thank you.
Same result as THX1138? Red screen?

It's on the list for a fix. Project has been on hiatus for a while, but Leo and I are about to resume.
ImageImageImageImage
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...
Initials: leo

Post by leonardoliveira »

eletrotec1 wrote:
idc wrote:
Noted, thank you.
Two weeks ago, I had a Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha (Brazil release) from a customer which would not boot my decrypted ROMs even after I removed the battery and let the board sit for hours.

Turn out the board wasn't even suicided. The fault was the PALs which were not seated properly on the socket. After I removed them as the board was already suicided (because I removed the battery) it then started to run properly.

Lesson: If you want to keep the board using the battery, make sure you remove and re-seat the PALs and other socketed stuff before you go about removing the battery to use resurrection ROMs as it is possible the board has not suicided yet...

Also, Rockman Power Battle rom has been tested.
fluxcore
Please Continue...

Post by fluxcore »

leonardoliveira wrote: Lesson: If you want to keep the board using the battery, make sure you remove and re-seat the PALs and other socketed stuff before you go about removing the battery to use resurrection ROMs as it is possible the board has not suicided yet...
Would the CPS2 suicide tester ROM have detected this?
idc
Ralf Little impersonator

Post by idc »

fluxcore wrote:
leonardoliveira wrote: Lesson: If you want to keep the board using the battery, make sure you remove and re-seat the PALs and other socketed stuff before you go about removing the battery to use resurrection ROMs as it is possible the board has not suicided yet...
Possibly, although it's possible for the keys to become corrupted rather than erased completely. In such a case, encrypted code won't boot, nor will any decrypted/non-encrypted code.
ImageImageImageImage
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

fluxcore wrote:
After I had battery removed, I tested with the CPS2 suicide tester ROM and it was still giving the solid red screen. At that point I started messing with the three PALs on the B board. When it came up working at the CPS2 suicide tester, I realized I had just killed an perfectly working encrypted game (the issue was just the PALs needing to be re-seated).

I just burnt my own decrypted ROMs on EPROMs 03, 04 and called it a day.
undamned
Please Continue...
eBay: undamned
Initials: UND

Post by undamned »

I'm having some problems reviving a Puzzloop 2. When the game boots I get an "OK" on all 4 memory check items and then just sits there, never going into the game. The game died on my watch, so I know it was working 100% back when I last played it. Board is clean and never had issues back when it was running. I burned Clean ROMs for it and this is where I'm stuck. Game checks out fine using Raz's test tool. I've burned the program EPROMs & Q-Sound EPROM multiple times, just to be sure I didn't mess anything up there and swapped the PAL with a known working one. Still no dice.

Any ideas?

Oh, also I had zero success with any version of SF Zero/Alpha 3 or Vampire Savior files. Anyone else get any of these to work for any region (sorry if that's already been answered and I missed it!)?
-ud
"Sin and death's got the whole world gettin' illa, but I praise God for the Blood Spilla."
idc
Ralf Little impersonator

Post by idc »

undamned wrote:I'm having some problems reviving a Puzzloop 2. When the game boots I get an "OK" on all 4 memory check items and then just sits there, never going into the game. The game died on my watch, so I know it was working 100% back when I last played it. Board is clean and never had issues back when it was running. I burned Clean ROMs for it and this is where I'm stuck. Game checks out fine using Raz's test tool. I've burned the program EPROMs & Q-Sound EPROM multiple times, just to be sure I didn't mess anything up there and swapped the PAL with a known working one. Still no dice.

Any ideas?

Oh, also I had zero success with any version of SF Zero/Alpha 3 or Vampire Savior files. Anyone else get any of these to work for any region (sorry if that's already been answered and I missed it!)?
-ud
Working on fixing these issues on a proto Darksoft multiboard. Puzzloop 2 is on the list, please bear with us.
ImageImageImageImage
undamned
Please Continue...

Post by undamned »

idc wrote:Working on fixing these issues on a proto Darksoft multiboard. Puzzloop 2 is on the list, please bear with us.
Great, thanks! So nice you guys are working w/ darksoft on that project! There will be a lot of happy Capcom fans :D
-ud
"Sin and death's got the whole world gettin' illa, but I praise God for the Blood Spilla."
MitsurugiW
Please Continue...
eBay: mitsurugi-w
Initials: JBW

Post by MitsurugiW »

idc wrote: Working on fixing these issues on a proto Darksoft multiboard. Puzzloop 2 is on the list, please bear with us.
This makes me so happy to finally hear. :)
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

Hey guys, it's been a while I don't touch this stuff so please bear with me.

Because not all of the world speak english, jetzt spielen Shadow of Mistara in deutscher lassen.

I wonder why the US version of this game was made available instead. :problem:

Coming soon you know where.
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

:awe:
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

A few hours ago I have forwarded Shadow Over Mystara

JAPAN 960619
USA 960619
EURO 960619 to IDC. It should be made available publicly for everyone soon. :awe:

Now, any ideas on what to do next? Suggestions are welcome.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

undamned wrote:I'm having some problems reviving a Puzzloop 2. When the game boots I get an "OK" on all 4 memory check items and then just sits there, never going into the game. The game died on my watch, so I know it was working 100% back when I last played it. Board is clean and never had issues back when it was running. I burned Clean ROMs for it and this is where I'm stuck. Game checks out fine using Raz's test tool. I've burned the program EPROMs & Q-Sound EPROM multiple times, just to be sure I didn't mess anything up there and swapped the PAL with a known working one. Still no dice.

Any ideas?

-ud
Sorry about the late reply.

Quoting it's readme:
"The purpose of this tool is to easily test if a CPS-2 game board has suicided."

The point on it was simply check if the board was suicided.
It does very basic ram checks and then send a sound command to play the first song or sound effect from sound ROMS.
It might boot just fine on a faulty board which would not boot a real game.

And I suppose that's why it says "THIS GAME BOARD LOOKS OK" (notice the "LOOKS" part)...

If you need help tracing what is wrong with your board, drop me a PM.
fluxcore
Please Continue...

Post by fluxcore »

leonardoliveira wrote:A few hours ago I have forwarded Shadow Over Mystara

JAPAN 960619
USA 960619
EURO 960619 to IDC. It should be made available publicly for everyone soon. :awe:

Now, any ideas on what to do next? Suggestions are welcome.
Fantastic work :)

As for suggestions, although a fairly unglamourous one, I'd really like to see Street Fighter Alpha 2 decrypted. I know Zero 2 Alpha has been, but Alpha 2 is actually the preferred game in the fighting game scene - Z2A changed a bunch of things which were not well loved by the community. And Alpha 2 has some extra things in it that Zero 2 didn't (in particular, Evil Ryu, and alternate versions of some other characters).

I'd also be very interested to know more about the process you go through to produce these clean sets - I wouldn't mind having a go at it myself for one of my sets, but only if I know about the groundwork which has already been done :)
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

There's a couple of ways. Some are pretty lazy, like (XOR clashing) where you exploit the property of the encryption where data are not encrypted and games of different regions but of same revision be using different keys but have exactly the same code. This is exactly the case with DD2 (Japan and USA had the exact same program and data) but Euro has French and German languages added, they removed the Japanese text and scripts which resulted on a slightly different program code. It took me half an hour to decrypt USA/JPN SoM 960619 because they aligned perfectly.

I had to run the EURO program through IDA to get it decrypted. It took me four days of work to fully decrypt it and a week of work to find all the decryption mistakes (bugs).

About Street Fighter Alpha 2 I'll have a look at it.
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

As per this thread: http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30968

At this point, all three regional variation ROMs for the game "Rockman The Power Battle 2" at the site have the same exact problem.

@ Fluxcore:

Which version of SF2 Alpha should I do?
undamned
Please Continue...

Post by undamned »

leonardoliveira wrote:Which version of SF2 Alpha should I do?
I vote for the USA version, as it has the extra stuff flux was speaking of. That's the one people I know play competitively.
-ud
leonardoliveira
Please Continue...

lol I was kind of asking "which revision" should I work on. :lolno:
fluxcore
Please Continue...

Post by fluxcore »

leonardoliveira wrote:lol I was kind of asking "which revision" should I work on. :lolno:
For my personal use, I'd prefer Euro 960229 (which also happens to be the 'main' set in mame), however USA 960306 would be fine as well.

Thanks for looking into it!