GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Everything Emulator related
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Re: GroovyMAME/UME for dummies

Post by baddy »

Cant you add the games manually? I usually do a copy pasta from the main xml list to add a few games.
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Post by chubsta »

my vert cab currently has a c2d 8400 4gb running xp 64 overlocked to 3.6ghz - how much of an improvement do you think i would see with a i5 4670k 8gb ram overlocked to 4.2ghz? Worth the cash or would it not make a massive difference as mame doesn't do much with multi-cores anyway i believe...
baddy
Please Continue...

Post by baddy »

as recommended by cools I went with a pentium g3258 for my most recent mame pc, worth it!
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

chubsta wrote:my vert cab currently has a c2d 8400 4gb running xp 64 overlocked to 3.6ghz - how much of an improvement do you think i would see with a i5 4670k 8gb ram overlocked to 4.2ghz? Worth the cash or would it not make a massive difference as mame doesn't do much with multi-cores anyway i believe...
It's really hard to ascertain without us all comparing side by side but I have an i5 running @ 3.6ghz with some very fast ram and using Cave games as a measure, I can only say that my rig runs them very well on Win7 64bit. I actually own or did own a lot of the Cave PCBs so I can say this with good confidence. Most people report that they run poorly so it would appear that the i5 does have some advantages. On the flip side, joeblade has an i7 in his setup and says the Cave games do not run that well for him which throws the theory off a bit :S I have an Asus Micro ATX board and an old ATI 4350 PCI-e in it... If anyone wants the exact build I will dig out all the components I bought and list them.

I have just switched to horizontal and tried some games like Soul Edge which appears to run slower than I recall but that could be addled memory... Overall though, using the super resolutions and cleanstretch 2 in groovy has most stuff running great with the added bonus that you never have to play with the monitor pots as everything is full screen.
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

baddy wrote:Cant you add the games manually? I usually do a copy pasta from the main xml list to add a few games.
Cheers, I will give it a shot. Weird that they are not there though. It makes me wonder what other games may be missing.
I had to squeeze down the collection to fit it all on the small SSD I bought. Maybe my scripting got rid of some decent games by mistake :roll:
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

joeblade has an i7 in his setup and says the Cave games do not run that well for him which throws the theory off a bit
Tbh I think your theory is "bang on" mate, im just a fussy **** when it comes to emulation and cave emulation is a long way off from being perfect. ;)

It's the more demanding cave titles where the performance can fall down on...particularly on the busier sections. It's fine for the most part though and bear in mind my i7 is in a sff case...stock speed! :)
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

chubsta wrote:my vert cab currently has a c2d 8400 4gb running xp 64 overlocked to 3.6ghz - how much of an improvement do you think i would see with a i5 4670k 8gb ram overlocked to 4.2ghz? Worth the cash or would it not make a massive difference as mame doesn't do much with multi-cores anyway i believe...
The Cave stuff seems to vary even with identical processors, and even when it runs well the emulation is still noticeably inaccurate in terms of speed/slowdown/stuttering audio. I wouldn't build a machine to run it at the moment.
mission65 wrote:What should you set the desktop to I have to go to adv settings and list all modes to get a 640 x 480 res
And then no 60 hz
Tried 85 hz and a couple of others , but not getting the windows screen doubled thru my jpac
Using win 7. With calamitys drivers
You have to use ArcadeOSD. It's a bit that's missing from my instructions (Win 7 etc)
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

joeblade wrote: Tbh I think your theory is "bang on" mate, im just a fussy **** when it comes to emulation and cave emulation is a long way off from being perfect. ;)

It's the more demanding cave titles where the performance can fall down on...particularly on the busier sections. It's fine for the most part though and bear in mind my i7 is in a sff case...stock speed! :)
I hear you mate. It is far from perfect, but certainly playable.

Going back to configs for a second, I have noticed that a lot of the hori games I want to play can run into lots of problems with slowdown (probably due to frameskip). I haven't had much time to tweak yet, but the Gradius / Salamander games are particularly bad on frameskip 1 with loads of slowdown in busy sections... I cannot recall Nemesis slowing down as badly as it is. Gradius 3 is more tricky as I remember that slowing down lots :roll:
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

With salamander im pretty sure that's normal, if you have a full compliment of multiples and weapons the game does tend to slow down quite heavily particularly on the busier sections.
Although the bosses tend to be more quicker/aggressive the more weapons you have. :think:
stellarola
Initials: BEN

Post by stellarola »

cools wrote:
The Cave stuff seems to vary even with identical processors, and even when it runs well the emulation is still noticeably inaccurate in terms of speed/slowdown/stuttering audio. I wouldn't build a machine to run it at the moment.
mission65 wrote:What should you set the desktop to I have to go to adv settings and list all modes to get a 640 x 480 res
And then no 60 hz
Tried 85 hz and a couple of others , but not getting the windows screen doubled thru my jpac
Using win 7. With calamitys drivers
You have to use ArcadeOSD. It's a bit that's missing from my instructions (Win 7 etc)
I'm able to run Cave stuff at 100% without dropped frames/audio stutter with my Dual Core G3258 3.2ghz overclocked to 4.5ghz. I don't think the price of a quad core processor is worth it since it makes no speed increases over a fast dual core processor in MAME.

The G3258 is very cheap. I was able to buy the processor and motherboard for $99USD. You need to make sure you turn off any type of speedstep setting in the bios. I had some issues with the FPS dipping when this setting was enabled.

Also, I had FPS dipping when I enabled my monitor's preset (MS929). That may just be a bug in GroovyMAME/Switchres tho. When I enable "arcade_15" preset for example, the FPS is fine. I'm only referring to CAVE related games.

TL:DR - Buy the Intel G3258 and overclock it to 4ghz+. Make sure speedstep options are disabled in bios. Change monitor preset to something else if you still have dropped frames/audio lag.

Example:
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

stellarola wrote:You need to make sure you turn off any type of speedstep setting in the bios. I had some issues with the FPS dipping when this setting was enabled.
A good point stellarola. I forgot to mention that I had done this as well.
It was advised to me by my PC gamer brother who does it for all the FPS games on his stupidly over the top gaming rig :awe:
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

I'm able to run Cave stuff at 100%
Really?...any chance you have any cave boards to do comparisons? I'd really like to see your rig running Muchi Muchi Pork, Pink Sweets or Ibara Kuro against their respective pcb counterparts.

Intel speed step i'll check out tonight as i may have left this on tbh!! :problem:
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

[quote="stellarola"]

I'm able to run Cave stuff at 100% without dropped frames/audio stutter with my Dual Core G3258 3.2ghz overclocked to 4.5ghz. I don't think the price of a quad core processor is worth it since it makes no speed increases over a fast dual core processor in MAME.

The G3258 is very cheap. I was able to buy the processor and motherboard for $99USD. You need to make sure you turn off any type of speedstep setting in the bios. I had some issues with the FPS dipping when this setting was enabled.

Also, I had FPS dipping when I enabled my monitor's preset (MS929). That may just be a bug in GroovyMAME/Switchres tho. When I enable "arcade_15" preset for example, the FPS is fine. I'm only referring to CAVE related games.

TL:DR - Buy the Intel G3258 and overclock it to 4ghz+. Make sure speedstep options are disabled in bios. Change monitor preset to something else if you still have dropped frames/audio lag.

I have ordered a G3258 and a new mobo for my horizontal cab, i am going to compile a new GM but which processor should i optimise for, the options are

(I can't do 'auto detect' as i am compiling on my Mac...)
baddy
Please Continue...

Post by baddy »

Why do you compile it chubsta? Any extras compared to the stock one that already has nonag and hiscore support?

I would go with Core2, most recent intel CPU.
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

baddy wrote:Why do you compile it chubsta? Any extras compared to the stock one that already has nonag and hiscore support?

I would go with Core2, most recent intel CPU.

figure that any optimisations are a good thing and can only help it run better, plus its always nice to mess around with stuff, when it works anyway!
Andypc
eBay: Andyapc
Initials: APC

Post by Andypc »

I have Mame running in three machines. I have a Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 3.33Ghz in one. An Intel Core i3-4130 @ 3.40GHz in another and an i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz in the third.

The Core 2 Duo runs most cave games fine, but drops the odd frame on Ibara / Muchi Muchi Pork, but the rest play 100%. I could probably solve that with a small overclock. The i3 and i7 run all the cave games 100%.

The i3 and i7 make games like NFL blitz playable, but it's only really worth the upgrade if you have specific games that you want to play that are running just below 100% on a Core 2 Duo. Remember some games still will not run 100% even with an overclocked i7.
“You can have it any colour you want, so long as it’s black.” Henry Ford
Wanted:- Tehkan World Cup cab
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

I've had to turn frame delay off because it was making m-72 stutter, I don't notice the difference in lag though.
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

Rossyra wrote:I've had to turn frame delay off because it was making m-72 stutter, I don't notice the difference in lag though.
Are you running Windows XP or 7 on that box?
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

windows 7 x64
stellarola

Post by stellarola »

Rossyra wrote:windows 7 x64
hit me up some time via PM. I'd like to see if we can get something working 100% for ya. I have a baller setup at the moment for MAME. :awe: