Help getting a 15khz signal

Everything Emulator related
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Help getting a 15khz signal

Post by chubsta »

Ok, i am really getting annoyed with this pc...

am trying to install a Radeon HD4350 card so i can run groovymame.

I uninstalled all previous graphics drivers, plugged that card in and installed the crt_emudriver set for that card, all seemed to go well.

the thing is, before i plugged the card in i was able to get a 640x480 resolution on my lcd monitor, after installing the card it says that resolution is out of range and won't show it...

anyway, when i run soft15khz it shows i have two graphics adapters, both being the HD4350. i can install soft15 on both and it shows as being installed. I also have quickres and irotate installed.

unfortunately, when i then connect the output to my arcade monitor via a jPac i see the boot-up screens side by side as it starts up, but then it just goes to a black screen. If i start in VGA mode then i end up with 2 screens side by side showing the windows desktop, i can install and uninstall soft15khz from there but when i reboot it still goes to a black screen. when in via mode i can't seem to do anything with irotate or quickres.

i have plugged the signal from my other name cab into this jPac and it works 100% so cannot for the life of me work out where i am going wrong.

If this makes sense to anyone, help would be gratefully appreciated!
TechnoFreek
eBay: technofreek1
Initials: OPM

Re: Help getting a 15khz signal

Post by TechnoFreek »

Chubsta. Why do you need the crt emudrivers and soft15k?
The emudrivers and vmmaker will do all the res handling for you.

Also Is your monitor 15k only or trisync?
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

i tried soft15 because i was unable to get anywhere with just crt_emudriver on its own - everything seems to install ok but when i plug it into my 15khz-only monitor it doesn't work. i know the monitor itself isn't the problem because it is working fine when i put in the signal from my other name cab.

i reallty am banging my head against the wall here!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

After you installed crtemudriver did you configure and run vmmaker?
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

well i seem to have made some progress but if anything it is getting even more frustrating1

if i boot the pc up i get the usual dual boot screens on the arcade monitor, but this then goes to a black screen as windows properly boots up and it must lose sync.

if i boot up with the lcd attached then it gives an out of range error, i then plug the arcade monitor in and it is fine

i have done the vmmaker and orcadeosd stuff over and over and everything works fine, i have even played a few games, but as soon as i reboot i am back to having to plug the lcd in again, i just can't get it to keep the settings when it is powered off. in arcadeosd there are options to set the desktop and default and i have done that but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

so close but seemingly so far away...
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

chubsta wrote:if i boot the pc up i get the usual dual boot screens on the arcade monitor, but this then goes to a black screen as windows properly boots up and it must lose sync.
At this point have you tried powering the CRT off and on again?

I've had this happen before, I think it was connected to an issue with dual output graphics cards. Apparently you should use the primary (lower) output which often means using a DVI>VGA adaptor. However I have had success using the second output. I think Windows sometimes gets confused and sometimes doesn't and I'm not sure what steps to take to avoid it. I have a feeling switching between an LCD and CRT during setup can cause the problem.
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

pubjoe wrote:
chubsta wrote:if i boot the pc up i get the usual dual boot screens on the arcade monitor, but this then goes to a black screen as windows properly boots up and it must lose sync.
At this point have you tried powering the CRT off and on again?

I've had this happen before, I think it was connected to an issue with dual output graphics cards. Apparently you should use the primary (lower) output which often means using a DVI>VGA adaptor. However I have had success using the second output. I think Windows sometimes gets confused and sometimes doesn't and I'm not sure what steps to take to avoid it. I have a feeling switching between an LCD and CRT during setup can cause the problem.
after i went to bed last night i had a similar thought about the dvi-vga
adapter as i remembered having a similar issue years ago when i did the horizontal cab with one of these graphics cards so i have ordered an adapter - got up this morning, checked the other cab and it does indeed have the dvi-vga fitted so will try it this afternoon in the vertical cab - heres hoping for the best...

another quick thing - i was disappointed to find that DDP Difakkatsu (sp!) ran poorly - is this because i am using p32 instead of 64 - the processor is a core2duo 3ghz so i thought that would have been fast enough
TechnoFreek
eBay: technofreek1
Initials: OPM

Post by TechnoFreek »

Hey chubsta. I know how you're feeling. Took me a few attempts and a lot of hair pulling to get my setup working but it is worth it.

Those newer cave games aren't emulated 100% but should be more than playable.

Based on my own experience I'd focus on getting the resolution, vmmaker etc fixed first and then focus on your groovymame config. It can be a game by game exercise initially.

When you play ddp, what speed is showing when you press F11?
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Cave SH3 requires vsync off to get to full(ish) speed on that CPU. Groovy wants vsync on to work properly. You'll need to create game specific INI files disabling vsync for those ones.
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Post by baddy »

confirming what has been said above, use the 1st video output of the 4350, usually it is a DVI-I plug. a DVI-VGA plug is the way to go.
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

yep, as you have all suggested, it needed a DVI plug, i cannibalised one from the other cab and it works...

regarding ini files - obviously i have one generated and have tried to add the bits i think i need but does anyone have a set already done that they could send over? i have a bog-standard 15khz monitor so I'm sure someone else settings for each game would work ok...
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

well i have made a terrible mistake and tried to upgrade my horizontal mame cab with a better pc and have run into some problems that i just can't seem to fix...

the new system is a Intel G3258 on a z97 motherboard, running windows 7.

i seem to get everything set up ok, install the correct crtemudriver drivers in admin mode, and then i get the 'test mode' thing in the bottom right.

when i run vmmaker it seems to find plenty of modes etc, but when i run arcadeosd i do not get modes such as 640x480, the modes i get are such as 640x240, there never seems to be an option higher than the 200s...

any ideas?
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

648 x 480 @ 60Hz is a 31kHz mode. All of the modes you see are around the 15kHz mark.

HTH

Cheers,

Ralph.
chubsta

Post by chubsta »

on my other cab which is vert i am running 480x640 so i should be able to get it...

this is my first try at running win 7 but wish i had stuck with the other setup as i don't think i can install xp on the z97 motherboard...
mission65
Please Continue...

Post by mission65 »

I have exactly same thing chubsta,
I cannot get a resolution that allows a descent desktop no 640 x 480 ? On the arcade monitor.
Currently switching between monitors, but attract front end looks kak