How many candies are in the Uk?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
strykr
Please Continue...
How many candies are in the Uk?

Post by strykr »

Just wondered, ive just picked up an AWSD to go alongside my NAC and replace the AC I sold a year or so ago. Their always seems to be people looking for them on all the arcade forums and they rarely seem to come up FS, but generally people get them sooner or later. Made me wonder just how many their are over here. I know of at least 6 in Eastbourne alone, with mine, stevearcades, pubjoes and Hiteshes. What do we think 100? Actually quite a lot when you consider they are a niche item in a niche hobby!
Wanted: Paperboy PCB
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Re: How many candies are in the Uk?

Post by Devil Soundwave »

I reckon more like 250.

At least 100 came in for IC09, there where already a load here from KillCabs days, and Jeff at Digital Systems design has imported a good few (undisclosed number) of Blasts. Then add in the Naomi sitdown conversions, all the HD cabs (VEWIX etc) that have come in over the past few years, plus any personal imports such as those coming in via Ronnie. Sure, some of these may have exported again, but I still think at the very miniumum, 250 is a realistic figure.

Just the cabs at HOG alone make up a sizable chunk, and the arcades in central London also used to have a bunch of OK Babies.
strykr
Please Continue...

Post by strykr »

Probably nearer the mark yeah, forgot about Jeff, I think he said he still has about 50 in storage! And hasnt Ralph got 700 Aeros? :P. Could even be near the 4-500 mark.
Wanted: Paperboy PCB
theMot

Post by theMot »

Did arcades in the UK use them back in the day? They were fairly common here, in my home town where I went to school we had 3 arcades and two of them had quite a few Astro and Vs City's. I remember the first time I saw them, I was like "wtf?" you sit down with these ones? Woah! :-o Because they were used commercial once upon a time there are still quite a few knocking around here, especially the Sega ones.
ArcadeSTG

Post by ArcadeSTG »

You are quite lucky UK fellows, in spain I guess there are about <15 astros, <10 egret II, <5 Vewlix...

The numbers go much higher for naomis but they are usually in bad condition.
A piece of Akihabara in your Home?
http://akihabarainhome.com
jase

Post by jase »

theMot wrote:Did arcades in the UK use them back in the day? They were fairly common here, in my home town where I went to school we had 3 arcades and two of them had quite a few Astro and Vs City's. I remember the first time I saw them, I was like "wtf?" you sit down with these ones? Woah! :-o Because they were used commercial once upon a time there are still quite a few knocking around here, especially the Sega ones.
UK arcades never had candies except for the Trocedero, which had a batch of Jaleco Pony 28 and Sega Versus City cabinets imported. We did have lots of Naomi Universal cabinets. Also there was rumours that an old Japanese shop in London (Hello Kitty shop?) had two Mini Cutes, but I've never seen any proof of this.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

theMot wrote:Did arcades in the UK use them back in the day? They were fairly common here, in my home town where I went to school we had 3 arcades and two of them had quite a few Astro and Vs City's. I remember the first time I saw them, I was like "wtf?" you sit down with these ones? Woah! :-o Because they were used commercial once upon a time there are still quite a few knocking around here, especially the Sega ones.
Not really no. I think the reason Australia had so many is purely due to geographical location.

We had some in some Jaleco ponies and VS Cities in the Trocadero and some OK Babies in small arcades elsewhere in Soho (all in London), but as far as I'm aware there was no huge prevalence of Candy in the UK, we had to make do with hideous wooden cabs with **** Euro sticks.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

I think there are about 23 Aero City cabs in UK and so far I only have 8 of them 8-)

Cheers,

Ralph.
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven

"So far". :D
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

7x Versus City in the UK so far.

6x HOG 1x me.
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

AeroCityMayor wrote:I think there are about 23 Aero City cabs in UK and so far I only have 8 of them 8-)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
MrHalibut
eBay: Mr_Meh

Post by MrHalibut »

jase wrote:
UK arcades never had candies except for the Trocedero, which had a batch of Jaleco Pony 28 and Sega Versus City cabinets imported. We did have lots of Naomi Universal cabinets. Also there was rumours that an old Japanese shop in London (Hello Kitty shop?) had two Mini Cutes, but I've never seen any proof of this.
I think Wonderpark had some, although I didn't pay much attention to the branding on the cabs back then, other than that the 'flagship' cab for most games was a Megalo 50. I do remember them getting some Tekken 3 cabs supposedly from Japan, which had the LED ticker thing at the top, I guess these must have been Cyberleads.
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Post by jimmerd »

Pete wrote:7x Versus City in the UK so far.

6x HOG 1x me.
I know of a laser tag in Somerset that had Versus City from 96 till they shut in 2007ish, ran street fighter alpha's most of the time.
fairly sure it was imported rather than coming from another arcade.
"Please contact the local attendant"
richy13
Ming the Merciless
eBay: ...

Post by richy13 »

There was a arcade called Centre Four in Leeds that had 4 Neo Geo Japanese candy's, always wondered where they went when it shut in 1998.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Retired

Post by Pete »

jimmerd wrote:

6x HOG 1x me.
I know of a laser tag in Somerset that had Versus City from 96 till they shut in 2007ish, ran street fighter alpha's most of the time.
Interesting...maybe we should get muddymusic our Somerset correspondent on the case :think:
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

I know of 5 AWSDs, 1 Egret II, 1 Egret III, 1 SNK Candy, 1 Jaleco Pony M3, 1 Capcom Cute, 1 Blast and 3 Astros in Ireland if that's any use to your figures... :D

I'd say the numbers here are far far lower than in the UK. Only place we can really get them now is Ronnie.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

i used to know of a few others, between blasts ,an e2 and e3's and the odd astro,a few cabs made there way over in the 09 order..... m brain is mush these days

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
gray117

Post by gray117 »

uk arcades did have them in the late 90s early 2000's... Unfortunately this was also the time when video games were being traded out of other venues in favour of quiz machines or other stuff...

...Probably most notably at places like the namco stations etc. I think there was quite an influx of the super neos /hyper 64s at one point before that quickly died a death.

Whether or not these got appropriated after the fact or just trashed is another matter :/
Pete
Retired

Post by Pete »

Pete wrote:
jimmerd wrote:

6x HOG 1x me.
Interesting...maybe we should get muddymusic our Somerset correspondent on the case :think:
Come to think of it there were 7 Versus cabs at Troc 6x out on the shop floor & 1 in the workshop.

Also 6x were JPN units & 1 was a Hong Kong unit with English on the topper and under the CP's & 240v input which is the 1 I have so maybe it got bought for spares from Laser Tag ?
jimmerd
eBay: jimma-d
Initials: jmd

Post by jimmerd »

Pete wrote: Interesting...maybe we should get muddymusic our Somerset correspondent on the case :think:

Hopefully it was sold on way before the following recent clear out as the building is being redeveloped for student accommodation.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/t ... reet-bath/

If anybody fancies chasing up on it , the owners they still run a business opposite http://www.thetimenow.com/united_kingdo ... td-2071698"
"Please contact the local attendant"