artifact on title screen

PCB problems and fixes
sakaiza
Please Continue...
artifact on title screen

Post by sakaiza »

Hi,
I recently upgraded a cps-1 street fighter 2' CE (dash) into street fighter 2' hyper fighting (Turbo). The game runs well but I have a visual artifact on the title screen where "Turbo" should normally be displayed Image
I've a feeling that I've already seen this small glitch before, if someone knows something about this I'd be very interested.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Re: artifact on title screen

Post by yosai »

If CE was perfect I'd verify the contents of the two HF EPROMs.
Phexe
Please Continue...

Post by Phexe »

Did you use the correct region. Looks like a USA version, trying to display the TURBO which isn't in the USA rom version.

ie;

JAPAN:
sf2hf_Japanese.png
USA:
sf2hf_usa.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sakaiza
Please Continue...

Post by sakaiza »

Ah, thanks That might be the problem... The pcb was sold with extra eproms which only change the game in japanese... I asked someone to erase this japanese version and to copy the american turbo one... Unfortunately,he gave me the turbo japanese one... So I have an american cps1 with 3 japanese eproms on it... I assumed that there is no way to change the region of a cps-1?
Phexe
Please Continue...

Post by Phexe »

sakaiza wrote:Ah, thanks That might be the problem... The pcb was sold with extra eproms which only change the game in japanese... I asked someone to erase this japanese version and to copy the american turbo one... Unfortunately,he gave me the turbo japanese one... So I have an american cps1 with 3 japanese eproms on it... I assumed that there is no way to change the region of a cps-1?
Not really, the Region is set by the main set of roms (see this pic, the roms highlighted in Blue);
sf2t_roms.jpg
Which will probably be Street Fighter II Champion Edition USA Roms.

And in that pic, the RED box shows 3 roms (You need to take off the top C Board to get to all 3 roms). Those are the Hyper Fighting Upgrade roms, if you take those 3 roms off, erase them and reburn the USA/World Hyper Fighting Roms it should fix the problem.

EDIT: What is the name of the Boxer (1st Boss) when you hover over him on the select screen?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sakaiza
Please Continue...

Post by sakaiza »

I have also an extra set of the eproms you highlighted in blue , I put them on the pcb this morning and it didnt change anything... Boxer is called M.Bison...As you say, I think I have to put the US version on eproms 21,22,23 to get rid of the visual artifact of the "turbo" logo...
Phexe
Please Continue...

Post by Phexe »

sakaiza wrote:I have also an extra set of the eproms you highlighted in blue , I put them on the pcb this morning and it didnt change anything... Boxer is called M.Bison...As you say, I think I have to put the US version on eproms 21,22,23 to get rid of the visual artifact of the "turbo" logo...
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Although I thought the characters names were stored on the blue roms, maybe the 21/22/23 tell the game what to name the characters. Do you know if the BLUE roms are USA or JP set?
Phexe
Please Continue...

Post by Phexe »

Think we're on the right track mate.

I just got the MAME rom of SF2 Hyper Fighting USA, and swapped 21/22/23 with the Japanese version and got;
0002.png
So all you need to do is replace 21/22/23 with the USA/World Hyper Fighting roms and you're golden :)
sakaiza
Please Continue...

Post by sakaiza »

Thank you very much. I really dont know what version the blue highlighted eprom were but the language of the game was changing in japanese when I swapped eproms 21,22,23 with the extra set given with the pcb. Thanks for the help :)
Phexe
Please Continue...

Post by Phexe »

No probs, you've most likely have USA/World English Main roms, and 21/22/23 are Japanese. Easy fix :)