New SFIV Update

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
shenglongbadboy

Re: New SFIV Update

Post by shenglongbadboy »

Could not agree more I have been a massive fan of the series since the world warrior but this is a massive let down for me.

But I will still part with my cash for it. #sucker
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

TheRedKnight wrote:

The reactions are quite negative... :awe:
That intro with Bison and Mika is better than anything from SFIV.

I really can't stand the look of the SFIV, the whole art style is jut so unappealing.

I got the first SFIV game and it got quickly forgotten (and I lost it too), I then got the SFxTekken game because I am an idiot.

I keep getting tempted to pick up IV again, or get this new version, but I imagine it will get played rarely.

I hope Capcom sort their **** out for SFV - can't they just copy the style of KOF XIII ... sigh there's a modern fighter done right.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

I know a lot of folks will disagree but I still reckon SFIV's excellent.

I don't understand what's not to like. People often cite the marmite art style as their main reason to avoid it and I think that's been a barrier to a lot of people actually sticking with the game. There are a few good games I've missed for exactly the same reason.

I actually really like art style but understand why a lot of people might not. I think the characters and backdrops look great but are maybe a little too cartoony and whimsical for some?

Yes the controls are a slacker than SF2/3 and the Ultra animations are annoying but at its core it's still SF as it's always been and in my opinion genuinely worthy of the SF name.

I remember being resistant to SF3 and not giving it much of a chance at first for a number of similar reasons. Once I gave in and started playing it I loved it though.

I'm not that excited about Ultra as I'd never use the new characters but I'll always stick up for SFIV :whoopsie:
gray117

Post by gray117 »

I like iv... in game art style was grand, a little compromised, and never had enough backgrounds [an odd thing of mine], but overall absolutely re-generated fighting games.

It is clearly serving a niche now that I'm barely on the fringe of ... the gameplay changes, dlc and title updates have just left many people behind, myself included... and since I got the pretty good 'super' version I don't think I'm amazingly encouraged to get back on the iv bandwagon...

I do wonder whether an upfront plan to annually/bi-annually do a major update would be the better way of handling this and just tag it iv[year] - super, arcade, ultra, ff-xiii3-bravely-lightning-in-a-bottle-wiiu ... urgh I thought they were trying to avoid any sense of a rip-off and release updates more by way of transparent paid for support? Instead we've ended up with a mish mash of naming/branding/dlc.

Up until decapre I thought they were doing a pretty good job balancing fan outreach, broadening the appeal, and having a diverse character set... but this is their final character... the final peg they want to hang their cap on? Rubbish marketing move, and normally I really go in for a nice bit of positive hype...
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

:problem:
Emulation's nice when done well
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Ahh, Mr Macaroni, I thought you'd have something to say :problem:
:awe:
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Aw bless, bit scrappy, but for fan art this is ok...

Oh wait, that's an actual HD Remix sprite. :palm:

At least SFIV's art isn't this bad.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

To be fair, Udon's job was pretty hard. Comic book artists with a highly exaggerated style - first time learning to make sprites and animation, and trying to squeeze details into SF2 proportions. In SF2 itself, a lot of in-between frames are actually pretty lazy and out of proportion. But it gets away with it a lot easier. 15k is so forgiving.

I think SFIV mostly looks great. My main two dislikes are the Ultra animations and the new character designs. But these days people like annoyingly abrupt QTEs and video game fans don't like too much change. They've chucked in almost all SF characters to keep everyone happy. SF3 tried to be brave and look how well that worked out. I appreciate they need to sell this at the end of the day, and overall the game works well. They haven't completely forgotten the actual game under all the dramatic presentation like with a lot of modern updates. It's colourful, good humoured and respectful to Street Fighter, but most importantly of all, it feels as responsive as the 2D games and the deep levels of strategy are there. They've added a huge amount of subtleties to the characters too.

I was recently reminiscing on using Blanka online. He has a lot of good dummy moves and bluffs to really wind up your opponent. Combined with confusion tactics from hard to predict speed and priority that have been fine tuned with pure evil. There's also false-sense-of-security moves, such as the 'coward crouch' that can be broken out of with an EX move, or electricity that can last only a surprisingly short burst, or best of all, his scratch-butt pose that just **** people of. All the surprises can really put the other player on edge, where they become afraid to do a fireball. They've really done the character a lot of justice here, he's should be more annoying than technical, and in SFIV he's possibly the best, most fun version of any street fighter game. Nothing quite so satisfying as post-match hate messages. :awe:

I could write thousands of words just on this one character. The game has a lot of depth, there's not many games being tuned to this level anymore, and it's definitely deserving of the Street Fighter name.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

I just realised that I had some PSN credit, and SSFIV AE is only a tenner.

Maybe I'll give it another chance?
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

bloodhokuto wrote:I just realised that I had some PSN credit, and SSFIV AE is only a tenner.

:problem:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

bloodhokuto wrote:I just realised that I had some PSN credit, and SSFIV AE is only a tenner.

8-)
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

:awe:
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

pubjoe wrote:To be fair, Udon's job was pretty hard. Comic book artists with a highly exaggerated style - first time learning to make sprites and animation, and trying to squeeze details into SF2 proportions. In SF2 itself, a lot of in-between frames are actually pretty lazy and out of proportion. But it gets away with it a lot easier. 15k is so forgiving.

I think SFIV mostly looks great. My main two dislikes are the Ultra animations and the new character designs. But these days people like annoyingly abrupt QTEs and video game fans don't like too much change. They've chucked in almost all SF characters to keep everyone happy. SF3 tried to be brave and look how well that worked out. I appreciate they need to sell this at the end of the day, and overall the game works well. They haven't completely forgotten the actual game under all the dramatic presentation like with a lot of modern updates. It's colourful, good humoured and respectful to Street Fighter, but most importantly of all, it feels as responsive as the 2D games and the deep levels of strategy are there. They've added a huge amount of subtleties to the characters too.

I was recently reminiscing on using Blanka online. He has a lot of good dummy moves and bluffs to really wind up your opponent. Combined with confusion tactics from hard to predict speed and priority that have been fine tuned with pure evil. There's also false-sense-of-security moves, such as the 'coward crouch' that can be broken out of with an EX move, or electricity that can last only a surprisingly short burst, or best of all, his scratch-butt pose that just **** people of. All the surprises can really put the other player on edge, where they become afraid to do a fireball. They've really done the character a lot of justice here, he's should be more annoying than technical, and in SFIV he's possibly the best, most fun version of any street fighter game. Nothing quite so satisfying as post-match hate messages. :awe:

I could write thousands of words just on this one character. The game has a lot of depth, there's not many games being tuned to this level anymore, and it's definitely deserving of the Street Fighter name.
I love blanka, but in SF4 he looks like a gimp :(
opt2not
eBay: n/a
Initials: OPT

Post by opt2not »

pubjoe wrote: I was recently reminiscing on using Blanka online. He has a lot of good dummy moves and bluffs to really wind up your opponent. Combined with confusion tactics from hard to predict speed and priority that have been fine tuned with pure evil. There's also false-sense-of-security moves, such as the 'coward crouch' that can be broken out of with an EX move, or electricity that can last only a surprisingly short burst, or best of all, his scratch-butt pose that just **** people of. All the surprises can really put the other player on edge, where they become afraid to do a fireball. They've really done the character a lot of justice here, he's should be more annoying than technical, and in SFIV he's possibly the best, most fun version of any street fighter game. Nothing quite so satisfying as post-match hate messages. :awe:
Blanka has been my main character for quite a while now. I started playing him in the early SFII days, because most people played Ryu or Guile, and Blanka was a great counter and most people don't know how to play against him. Much of that is true today.

I completely agree with pubjoe, he is a mind-game character, and probably the most improved in this version.

The downside to Blanka is when you play against people that know his tricks, you then have to play the cower/defensive game. Which may become boring if you're not a patient player. Personally I love playing an all-out aggressive style, keeping pressure on my opponents. Blanka has a great ability to "stick on you", or chase you down quickly from full-screen distances. Not only from his rolls, but also his dash-in hops (all 3 kick buttons + forward). This move also works with the mind-games, using it as cross-up tricks, or in combination of jab-hop backs...which set you up for the classic crouching fierce long-punch.

He plays differently than most characters in AE, his combos are very simple and he has practically no linkers to EX or Ultra. They compensate with giving him a high damage output and making his fight-style more trickster and stick-and-move like, utilizing more normals than most.

Blanka is just BEASTLY, and fun. Arrrrrrooooooo! :lol:
Hokuto
Initials: !__

Post by Hokuto »

^
Blanka is too damn beastly against poor T.Hawk, he doesn't stand a chance :(

I don't really know why I main T.Hawk to be honest, I just picked him up one day and stayed with him since. I managed to take him up to the top of the PSN rankings though, and I've good tournament results so far, so I guess it payed off :lol:
No
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

... :(
Stevearcade
Please Continue...
Initials: STE

Post by Stevearcade »

Blanka's a bit of a bogey character for me. Whatever incarnation of SF I'm playing, when I come up against Blanka, I often choke! I don't know why. I think when I was a kid I often struggled against him and I've never shaken off the notion that he's hard to beat. If I'm playing today SF2WW or CE I get to Blanka and it's make or break. If I beat him, I know I'm good for a 1CC. If I don't beat him, I have to start again. I'm not like it on SF games without Blanka in though. E.g. 3rd Strike, I almost always get to Gill first time (but then he often spanks me - in fact, come to think of it, I've never 1CC'd 3rd Strike, but I almost always get to Gill at least).

But I agree Blanka on 4 is tough sod when played by a good player, as is Cammy, she's another I seem to always struggle against. I'm a Ken man. Occasionally mix it up with Ryu, Evil Ryu, Akuma, Oni, Gouken, Sakura, but generally, I'm a quarter turn man who favours the character who descend from Gouken's Dojo ;) . (Quite partial to a bit of Bison and Seth from time to time as well, but not as good with these guys).
HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!
Inky
eBay: Technical_medic
Initials: SCH

Post by Inky »

Skullomania would have been awesome!

Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

I would choose Alex.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Post by skykappah »

Capcom don't own Skullomania unfortunately is owned by Arika as with all EX only characters.
Loving robots since the 80's.