What's been your favourite cab & what cab do you want next

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Svovl
eBay: clemensnk
Initials: CNK

Re: What's been your favourite cab & what cab do you want ne

Post by Svovl »

I have a Sega New Astro City at home that I am very fond of.
However, I would like to have an a bit older metal candy like an Jaleco Pony Mark III or a Sega Aero City.

... and when my son gets a bit older I would like to put a Mini Cute in his room with Bubble Bobble :P
grainflavour
Please Continue...
eBay: grain-flavour

Post by grainflavour »

I don't have a lot of experience with Candy or woodie cabs but ended up getting a chopped Naomi universal off Gumtree as it was very close by which in my reasoning made it -£85 as I could pick it up myself, so a bargain. It was a mame cab which was very tidy indeed except for a cracked and creamed surround :fastlove: and a monitor that needed a refresh.

Grantspain sorted the monitor and the picture is now amazing and Alex (Akuma) sent me two surrounds to refurb. I managed to bag a second Naomi for cheap and gutted the insides to put in this cab so it now runs a Naomi/Dreamcast/xbox 360/Mame setup depending on my flavour of the week. I actually have it as a stand up Universal again now as I find it more comfortable but the chopped legs are in storage :shifty: Also got a new CP surround, CP and control panel overlay from AGS and a monitor bezel from giz10p so the cab is like new with only a few blemishes

Then not too far from me an Astro City popped up so had to jump on that whilst I could. The cab is a fat little porker next to the Naomi and I use it in tate mode. Love both cabs but prefer the Naomi. The Naomi/net city's weak spot is the **** bezel surround for cracking and creaming it's a shame. So recently bagged an old black HOD3 cab to refurb.

lastly I bought a Lordsvale woodie, really nice condition cab with a 14inch screen. Proper sturdy when compared to a candy cab but almost killed me last Monday trying to get it up the stairs. It must have concrete or gold in the base as without the monitor it was an absolute beast. Couldn't get it past the landing and had to take it back downstairs with the girlfriend who wasn't best please. Since then I can't look at that cab as I had aches and bruises and after all the messing (about 4 hours) it was sat back in the same f@$king spot :lolno:

The only cab I have a soft spot for and would consider getting rid of everything for is an Egret 29 as think they look fantastic in pics and in particular the photo posted on here by Moshpit.

Next I think I want to concentrate on pcbs and Naomi stuff which should keep me busy in 2014. I need a Flicky pcb
theman
eBay: aero_city
Initials: RJC

Post by theman »

I have an aero and an AWSD, but i really love the aero,would like an astro city one day, ooooh or a chopped naomi :awe:
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

The (New) Astro City is my personal fav . I love the curvy white sleek chunky look and the overall colour scheme. The dodgy Engrish is neat too ;) A 29" screen is the sweet spot for me personally. At first, sitting so close to a 29" screen can feel a bit overpowering, but I think the size adds to my gameplay precision and it holds my attention better, that's what Ive found anyway. In contrast when I used to play on using a Supergun using a 21" tv and sat at a distance my gameplay was a lot sloppier. The overall experience feels overall alot more engrossing on a cab sandwiched up to a huge screen. Also, Sega were #1 for me growing up in the arcades and the fact that the Astro is pretty much the generic work horse of Jamma cabs in most Japanese arcades only adds to the appeal of the Astro for me. My cab isn't in the best shape and its a bit scratched, worn and grubby, but I think it adds to its personality. As for getting more cabs, I'm happy with just the one. I have thought about getting a 2nd cab for vertical games but I thought against it. If I ever the urge to play a vertical game again I'll just tate the one have. I can only play 1 at a time anyway innit.

Oh, and it's good for holding drinks as well!

Last edited by Ex_Mosquito on December 5th, 2013, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
majors

Post by majors »

Blast is my fav, I love the lines and "sharp" edges compared to a NAC/Impress. I also like the form and shape of the Naomi Uni BUT that **** fix freq CRT put's me off (so a Net City would be a welcome upgrade).

I'll pick up any candy I can find and afford, but if wishes where ponys I'd like a Noir/Viewlix/Lindbergh/Delta 32 just because they are "next gen" cabs. I would not have any 720p boards to put in them but I have enough CRT cabs for SD games.

Versus are another fav b/c I love the fighters but they're heavy. That head-to-head Viewlix looks pretty sweet.
Majors -=- Wedoca '18
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

Realised I started this thread but didn't really talk about any cabs that I've owned :oops:

ATM I'm very happy with my cabinet line up, but as I said in my first post hopefully at some point in the not too distant future I would like to add a 5th cab to the collection. This is purely because I don’t have a dedicated vert cab which I would like to rectify but I don’t want to sell/ trade any of the cabs I currently have.

Heres my thoughts on my cabs.

Sega Naomi (chopped)
This is my 31Khz cab which I use to run Atomiswave & Naomi.
I find the styling is rather striking and the Nanao monitor gives a beautiful picture. Bar the atrocious upper plastic surround the build quality is excellent. I found it to be an absolute dream to work on, it’s just like a giant Meccano set , so it’s really easy to strip down into manageable bits. It’s a UK cab and a lot of people in the community have owned one at some point so theres a lot of information out there and a lot of people who can help if your cab develops a problem. Used parts and CPO’s are relatively plentiful but as Jase has already said a lot of the other NOS parts are sadly drying or have completely dried up.
What to be aware of before buying - The original monitor is 31Khz only, it’s JVS wired, and even when chopped they are still an imposing cab.

SNK SC19-4
I have 2 of these I keep one as my dedicated MVS cab and the other I’ve recently started using to run JAMMA games (mostly PGM) with an adapter.
I wanted one of these for at least 10 years, it was my ‘grail’ cab so after I got my first one I couldn't resist bagging a 2nd when it came up for sale. Even though one MVS cab is ample and at the time I had my heart set on either a Cute or a Pony MKII 19 as my next cab.
I think they are beautifully styled, and when you combine the footprint with the height they really are a ‘will fit anywhere’ cab, so perfect for home use. The build quality is very good and I like the fact they are a metal bodied cab. The 19” monitor is crisp and I find it an ideal size for MVS and 15Khz JAMMA games.
What to be aware of before buying - Monitor is hori only due to the bezel. MVS wired. There is one stock panel so if you want something different you will need a custom panel fabricating. Not an easy or cheap cab to find/buy and parts are nigh on impossible to find. It’s a small cab, maybe a little too small for some.

A few that got away

New Astro City
IMO it’s simply the quintessential candy cab. Well made, very stylish, tate/ hori, Georgous monitor and so many control panels to choose from. Like the Naomi it’s one of those cabs that a lot of people have owned so lots of people to help when things go tits up and spares seem to be plentiful too. I don’t know why I ever let this one slip through my fingers.
What to be aware of before buying - I can’t really think of anything specific to this cabinet as it does what it says on the tin really well.

Sammy Atomiswave SD
This left a very sour taste as I got rid of it after only a very short while of owning it as the monitor died/ wouldn’t come on. This was well before I joined AO so I didn’t know what to do and after speaking to a few TV repairmen that didn't want to entertain it, it had to go. maybe someone here bought it from me
What to be aware of before buying - Don’t really know tbh, er... check the monitor isn't **** :lolno: :palm:

Lordsvale MVS
I really liked this cab but gave it to a friend years ago to save lugging around during a house move. It’s really quite compact for a woody but is still pretty heavy. It’s well built and looks dam fine and IMVHO quite different to most woodys due to not having a marquee space. The monitor can be tated although I used it exclusively for playing MVS games. IIRC it came with a 4 slot.
What to be aware of before buying - MVS wired. Quite a sought after woody so would be more expensive than a generic woody
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

I would like a Lindbergh SD JPN.

Past cabs, New Astro, Capcom Impress, Capcom Mini-Cute, Naomi Uni Gun Cab, Lindbergh Uni UK, Lindbergh 2 Spicy (HOTD4) Gun, Sega Uni Driver cab & MVS 6 Slot woody, Konami Cooper's 9.

Current & keeper Versus City with 2x Nanao 31k Monitors, ideal cab for me as Mame along with a total £400 spend makes it a keeper as keeping costly unused items is hard for me proved in the past with expensive dedicated cabs :oops:

I would also like to do a Mame dedicated vertical cab.
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Post by IDCHAPPY »

Emm, I loved my mushiking, I wish I'd never have sold it :( .
My E2's tickle my fancy too and I'm looking forward to picking up my Lindbergh :awe:
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

:awe:

Favourite cab; Initial D v3 (one half of a twin). I just really like the game that much, the first one in particular is really challenging to complete in single player, each new track massively ramps up the difficulty and it forces you to get good at the game in order to progress. The only disappointment for me is that v2 is an utter cake walk in comparison and v3 isn't much better (although there are far more courses so it still takes a lot of credits to master). As for the cab itself, all sega sitdown drivers look sexy imo and are a blast to play on. It's just fun, the force feedback and the subwoofer under your seat 'n ****. Another good point is that "norms" think it's cool and don't think you're a total geek for owning one.

What I'd like next; an Initial D 4/5/6 lindbergh cab. Think it'll be some time before they are affordable to import however and I'm not sure I'd ever spend more than £1k on a cab, so I might not ever own one. :(

Other drivers I've owned; F355 to OutRun2 conversion, STC to Initial D conversion, Club Kart Prize to Initial D conversion.

In terms of candy cabs, started with an Impress, nice cab and for a Capcom fanboy like me cool to have something with the logo on it. The frameless monitor is an utter pita though, I would not recommend owning one if you're likely to need to take the monitor out. It is far too easy to neck the tube on the cab power supply, as I found out to my considerable cost.

Had at least 3 UK Naomi Universals, maybe 4 or 5, I lose track. Good cabs to work on and have chopped 2 myself. Cba with that stuff anymore though.

Mushiking conversion, lovely little cab and another fun project, but found it impractical to actually play games on. Too **** small. Having seen a Mini Cute in the flesh I don't think I'd ever bother with one of those either, massively overpriced imo.

OK Baby, cracking cab for the money. Not as sexy as a Sega cab, but really very solidly built and easy to strip down and refurb. Nice to play on too, although the stock monitor is a bit crappy apparently (the one to pass through my hands had a replacement).

Lindbergh Uni (UK), an acquired taste but looks much better in the flesh than it does in pictures, I think it's the fact it's a stand up cab (once you're stood infront of it you only really see the top half). Very solid build, the base weighs about the same as a baby elephant, really nice control panel and comfortable to play on. If you want an HD cab and don't have the funds for a vewlix, go for it.

New Net City, total sex. Anybody who likes Naomis should save up and own one of these at some point. All the sweet looks of a cheapo conversion, but with the correct legs and polished leg covers, all the correct little stickers and bits and bobs to induce nergasm. Oh and the tosh pf is ok I suppose ;)

I've actually owned a slightly weird set of cabs, have never had a NAC or an Egret/AWSD, which seem to be the most owned Japanese candys. I should probably own one of those at some point, although I'd rather have something more interesting to look at, like a Windy 8-)

Oooh, I also owned a 4 button woody, my first cab. It was ****. I mosly played Garou Special and Final Fight on it. 8-)
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Svovl wrote:... and when my son gets a bit older I would like to put a Mini Cute in his room with Bubble Bobble :P
That was my plan with the Mushi, but seemed a waste of time in the end. He doesn't exactly need a dedicated mini cab in his bedroom to play my farty old games. Something that I wanted more than him to be honest.
Svovl
eBay: clemensnk
Initials: CNK

Post by Svovl »

pubjoe wrote:He doesn't exactly need a dedicated mini cab in his bedroom to play my farty old games. Something that I wanted more than him to be honest.
:D
spikehead
eBay: neles72

Post by spikehead »

The first cab I bought was an abused Naomi Universial which I converted to JAMMA. The 31 khz monitor never really shined but it was a good learning experience taking it apart and restoring it.

Then the addiction struck home and I bought a Capcom Cute. Great monitor, perect size for a flat but I hardly play on it as it is a bit too small for longer sessions.

Some months ago someone near wanted to get rid of his Egret II. I jumped on it and had it powered on twice since. :wtf: Strange as it really shines when it comes to vertical shmups (the only pcbs I have).

I feel the day coming near when I sell all of the above and get an Astro City as it seems to combine everything and parts seem easier to replace.
nerdygrrl
Please Continue...
eBay: sea_chicken11
Initials: MMM

Post by nerdygrrl »

I have had an Egret 2, and a MVS-U4 that I sold last year. In September I picked up a Super Neo 29, that when time permits will need some monitor attention to get running.

The E2 was wonderful, but sourcing parts for it not so much. That being said, there isn't a week that goes by that I don't regret selling it, but at least it went to a good home.

The U4 was nice, one of the best pictures/monitors I have seen, but a little cramped for playing.

I am not sure what the future holds, I have always wanted a Naomi, but I think for simplicity's sake I may go with a Blast City next time.
Johnnychaos
eBay: Keyamon

Post by Johnnychaos »

My fave cab of this year has to be the aero city. I always thought my chopped Naomi with nnc art would be the last cab out if i could only keep one, but the aero has taken its place at the top now :)
It just oozes cool and is the perfect size.
i would have room full if they weren't all at a certain someone's house.

As for what's next. Nothing really. Would love a small pony for the house. Or another aero or two. But not activly looking.
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Fave cabs still gotta be the Strike Fighter I got off Pete, aswell as Strike Fighter it has enabled me to play Airline pilots, Afterburner Climax, Planet Harriers, Virtual On (with a force CP)aswell as StarWars pod-racer and with that CP it also lets me play Brave Firefighters in a rather uncomfortable fashion :lol:
Many times I've thought about swapping it space wise with a sit down driver but it's just too versatile and a lovely condition cab too.
Next I think I want a pinball machine :think:
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
gundarN
Officially Special
Initials: guN

Post by gundarN »

I do wish I'd got one of those Mushikings when they were kicking around.
I got some of the cards which provide little comfort.
I like cards.