Arcade or Console gaming - Essential books, magazines & dvds

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Arcade or Console gaming - Essential books, magazines & dvds

Post by Paulie »

Gonna try to make this a bit of a resource list of the essential Arcade/ Console gaming books, magazines and dvd's, so please contribute :)

Arcade Books
All About Namco Vol 1
Document extensively how everything works in the games. Patterns, charts and loads of Japanese text. And the layouts of all the levels. Also reviews of home ports, but the books are very old so they are basically limited to home computers. Oh, and then there is sheet music too. By theRedKnight

All About Namco Vol 2
Document extensively how everything works in the games. Patterns, charts and loads of Japanese text. And the layouts of all the levels. Also reviews of home ports, but the books are very old so they are basically limited to home computers. Oh, and then there is sheet music too. By theRedKnight

Arcade Fever: The Fan's Guide to the Golden Age of Video Game
Lot's and lots of great photo's of cabs (dedicated woodys) and screenshots from the 'golden age' the accompanying text is pretty naff though.

Arcade Game Classics Vol. 1: 1978 ~ 1987 帰って来た名作ゲーム 1978~1987 完全保存版 [単行本]
One word awesome. 100's and 100's of photos. All text is in Japanese so just be aware if that kind of thing bothers you.

Arcade Game Classics Vol. 2: 1998 ~ 1993 帰って来た名作ゲーム 2(1988~1993)
As Vol. 1. All text is in Japanese so just be aware if that kind of thing bothers you.

Arcade Mania: The Turbo-Charged World of Japan's Game Centers
It's cheap, readily available, well written, chock full of screenshots /great photos of game centres and all the text is in English, IMVHO a must.

Arcade Gamers Vol 1 アーケード・ゲーマーズ)白書 Vol.1

Arcade Gamers Vol 2 アーケード・ゲーマーズ)白書 Vol.2

Arcade Gamer over Vol. 1 (Hobby Japan MOOK 449) アーケードゲーマー (ホビージャパンMOOK 449)
Arcade Gamer over Vol. 2 (Hobby Japan MOOK 485) アーケードゲーマー vol.2 (ホビージャパンMOOK 485)

Arcade TV Game List
Was supposed to be an appendix for Sore ha Pon kara Hajimatta, but became a list on it's own. It is only a list of games, but is pretty complete up until the time it was published (2006). Includes release dates (down to the month), publisher, and all that jazz, By GaijinPunch

遊びづくり四十年のあゆみ (Asobitsukuri Yonjuunen no Ayumi)
Published in 1993, this is apparently an extensive history of Taito. Rareness level: Star dust mixed with Unicorn tears. I've actively hunted it (IE, had it in my Yahoo Japan auctions list) for seven years. Number of hits: A big fat donut. I asked a friend of mine who had once seen it, and he lol'ed me out of the room when I said I wanted one.
Googling just now I did find it was subtitled "40th History of Taito Corporation". Taito themselves published it. 185 pages on A5. It was a hand out only. No price, nor ISBN. Good luck. By Gaijinpunch

Hardcore Gaming 101 Presents: Sega Arcade Classics Vol. 1
Even though the printing is cheap, the binding is especially crap, I really like this book. It's well written an has tons and tons decent sized photos which is nice although the image quality could be better. It's really informative and as well as covering the arcade game it goes into some depth for the console ports which I like. Plus it cheap I got mine copy new for about a tenner.

Invasion of the Space Invaders
Nice book from back in the day, now long out of print (published 1982 iirc) and really pricey (I got my copy from a 2nd hand bookshop for £2). Covers both arcade (Asteroids, DK, Tempest etc etc ) and home stuff too (2600, Intelivison and handhelds) loads of nice period photographs and screenshot too.

Sore ha Pon Kara Hajimatta (It Started with Pong)
Ironic title as the book starts with the gaming scene in the 1930's in US. Decidedly not Pong. But, it's a catchy title. Roughly 500 pages of very dense Japanese text. A handful of pictures. If you can't read Japanese relatively well, don't bother. I got halfway through. One day I'll finish, By GaijinPunch

Joystick gamers! (sorry I can only find a link to the kindle version)
Beautiful Japanese photo magazine. Full of stunning arty shots of filthy Japanese game centres. A must for any wabi-sabi appreciating Otaku.

Joystick gamers! 2
I'm very much looking forward to this arriving :awe: Speak to rancor if you want a copy - $30 shipped, and comes with 3 bonus mini-mags. Each additional copy is $20..

Sega Arcade History セガ・アーケード・ヒストリ
I'm currently actively looking for this book. All text is in Japanese so just be aware if that kind of thing bothers you.

Service Games: The Rise and Fall of SEGA
It's quite new (2012) and a very detailed review of Sega's history. Their arcade history is also focused a bit. I'm reading it atm. By meijin

Shinmeikai Namugo Jiten
Weird title. Basically a glorified (and pricey) Namco dictionary. By GaijinPunch

The Ultimate History of Video Games
A must read. Discusses the creation of the arcade (and to a lesser extent pinball) and loads of great stories from veterans of the scene with plenty of info on Sega, Nintendo and Namco to boot. By grainflavour

To the arcade room - way to the master board Heya wo Gesen ni suru / 部屋をゲーセンにする!!―基板達人への道
A Japanese book about making your room/house into an arcade, it's a bit old though (1996), By meijin. I’ve only just got this book and I must say it’s absolutely fantastic. It’s jam packed with photographs of control boxes, cabs and all kinds of arcade paraphernalia. I would say this book is an absolute must have. All text is in Japanese so just be aware if that kind of thing bothers you.

Console gaming books/ publications
Good By Soft
Extensive list of cancelled Mega Drive titles. Doujinshi, technically, so you have to hunt a bit to find it. Note there is a "plus" version which is slightly updated and probably easier to find.By GaijinPunch

Masters of Doom
Really good (quick) read. It's not arcade related but then neither's Indie Game TM. By pubjoe

Retro Gamer magazine
I find it a bit hit and miss at times but it's still worth picking up the bookzines tend to be pretty good.

Sega Consumer History セガ・コンシューマー・ヒストリー
I'm currently actively looking for this book. All text is in Japanese so just be aware if that kind of thing bothers you.

SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works
Currently on Kickstarter

The History of Nintendo 1889-1980
Really good book, loads and loads of photos and really interesting informative text. I also have Vol. 2 The History of Nintendo 1980-1991 SC: 2 which is all about game and watch and is also excellent.

?
That book that lists every official and unofficial Super Famicom release ever. By theRedKnight

http://www.hiivebooks.com/"
hiive books also did:
The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x
The Commodore 64 Book - 1982 to 199x
The ZX Spectrum Book - 1982 to 199x
Particularly good for browsing when on the bog. By gundarN

All Encompasing
TV Game Denshi Yuugi Daizen. Published in the late 80's, this has a profile pic and bio of many of the top names in the business. Not Just Japan, but many western developers as well. Pricey by GaijinPunch

Denshi Yuugi Jidai TV Game no Genzai
Follow up to the previously mentioned book. Apparently not as good, and much cheaper by GaijinPunch

Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol1 鈴木裕ゲームワークス VOL.1
Nice book. The main reason for buying it is probably the disk rather than the book, but it's got some nice pictures and that. Not as hardcore as some of the books on the list... by gundarN

Documentary / Film
1. 100 Yen
I liked "100 Yen" subtitles are a bit off though & badly placed, by Pete.
This is on my want to see list so can't comment but it does seem to divide

2. Chasing Ghosts Beyond the Arcade
I enjoyed this one.

Ecstasy of Order The Tetris Masters
Not see this one

Hi Score!
Another one I've not seen

I am Street Fighter
Decent enough, I saw it on you tube so check it out

Indie Game: The Movie
It's worth a watch.
It's about a couple of indie game makers.
The makers of super meat boy are trying to finish their game and to get it to market to meet some MS deadline. They succeed, the game is critically acclaimed and they make a fat pile of cash for all their hard work which is nice to see. In contrast to this the film also follows the maker of Fez who's game has been in development for 4 years but suffered delay after delay. At the end of the film it had still not been released, but it has now and and hopefully he also made a fat pile of cash for all his efforts too.

King of Kong
Probably the best know video game film, well worth watching, quite funny and sad in places. For me the downside was in parts it made my toes curl, it really is a bit cringe worthy some people are just so pathetic

7. The Video Craze - Where Were you in '82
Worth a watch
Last edited by Paulie on December 14th, 2013, 7:18 pm, edited 41 times in total.
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Re: Arcade or Console gaming - books, magazines & dvds

Post by IDCHAPPY »

Nerd :awe: :P

I started a list of films on UKVAC

1. King of Kong
2. 100 Yen
3. Chasing Ghosts Beyond the Arcade
4. Hi Score!
5. Ecstasy of Order The Tetris Masters.
6. The Video Craze - Where Were you in '82
I'm sure there's a few more though :)
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

IDCHAPPY wrote:Nerd :awe: :P
:( :awe:

Cheers for the list Ian, only seen about half of those you listed. I've put your list all in the first post as hopefully this will prove useful to people

I've added I am Street Fighter which was decent enough, I saw it on you tube so check it out.
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Post by IDCHAPPY »

Isn't there a sequel to king of kong? :think:
thermaltreasure
Please Continue...

Post by thermaltreasure »

SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works is shaping up to be an essential purchase.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dar ... cted-works"
meijin

Post by meijin »

I have also two nice books for your list ;)

1. Service Games: The Rise and Fall of SEGA
It's quite new (2012) and a very detailed review of Sega's history. Their arcade history is also focused a bit. I'm reading it atm.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Service-Games-R ... ll+of+SEGA"

2. Heya wo Gesen ni suru
A Japanese book about making your room/house into an arcade
It's a bit old though (1996)
http://www.amazon.co.jp/"部屋をゲーセンにする-―基板達人への道-パーフェクトメモワール/dp/4845811979/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385629084&sr=1-2&keywords=%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BB%E3%83%B3
(the link doesn't work, because of the kanjis. Just copy & paste into your browser)
Firepro4life
Please Continue...
eBay: Jennjkb82

Post by Firepro4life »

thermaltreasure wrote:SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works is shaping up to be an essential purchase.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dar ... cted-works"

Speaking of kickstarter, I'm looking forward to this one:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/654 ... g?ref=live"
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

meijin wrote:I have also two nice books for your list ;)

1. Service Games: The Rise and Fall of SEGA
It's quite new (2012) and a very detailed review of Sega's history. Their arcade history is also focused a bit. I'm reading it atm.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Service-Games-R ... ll+of+SEGA"

2. Heya wo Gesen ni suru
A Japanese book about making your room/house into an arcade
It's a bit old though (1996)
http://www.amazon.co.jp/"部屋をゲーセンにする-―基板達人への道-パーフェクトメモワール/dp/4845811979/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385629084&sr=1-2&keywords=%E3%82%B2%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BB%E3%83%B3
(the link doesn't work, because of the kanjis. Just copy & paste into your browser)
Thanks for contributing :thumbupright: I've added them to the list

I'm particularly pleased you added Heya wo Gesen ni suru I had got the title of this book wrong in my 1st post, I thought it was called Doing / Making Game Centre At Home :oops: it's a book I'm actively seeking to buy at the moment

Starting adding links to Amazon.co.uk & .jp
neogeomvs
eBay: neo-geo-mvs

Post by neogeomvs »

IDCHAPPY wrote:Nerd :awe: :P
:lol: haha, aren't we all :D

The only one I've got is Arcade Mania
grainflavour
Please Continue...
eBay: grain-flavour

Re: Arcade or Console gaming - Essential books, magazines &

Post by grainflavour »

The ultimate history of videogames by Steven Kent is a must read. Discusses the creation of the arcade (and to a lesser extent pinball) and loads of great stories from veterans of the scene with plenty of info on Sega, Nintendo and Namco to boot.
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Damn, I missed that 'Joystick Gamers!' Magazine by a few days when that guy over shmups was selling it. Is there an 'arrr matey' version floating about anywhere? Japanese ghetto gamecentre pictures sound right up my street.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

grainflavour wrote:The ultimate history of videogames by Steven Kent is a must read. Discusses the creation of the arcade (and to a lesser extent pinball) and loads of great stories from veterans of the scene with plenty of info on Sega, Nintendo and Namco to boot.
Ex_Mosquito wrote:Damn, I missed that 'Joystick Gamers!' Magazine by a few days when that guy over shmups was selling it. Is there an 'arrr matey' version floating about anywhere? Japanese ghetto gamecentre pictures sound right up my street.
:( dunno mate, my copy was a gift :awe:

I post so pics :)
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

I liked "100 Yen" subtitles are a bit off though & badly placed.
GaijinPunch
gay men guy

Post by GaijinPunch »

Arcade
Sore ha Pon Kara Hajimatta (It Started with Pong). Ironic title as the book starts with the gaming scene in the 1930's in US. Decidedly not Pong. But, it's a catchy title. Roughly 500 pages of very dense Japanese text. A handful of pictures. If you can't read Japanese relatively well, don't bother. I got halfway through. One day I'll finish.

Arcade TV Game List Was supposed to be an appendix for Sore ha Pon kara Hajimatta, but became a list on it's own. It is only a list of games, but is pretty complete up until the time it was published (2006). Includes release dates (down to the month), publisher, and all that jazz.

Shinmeikai Namugo Jiten Weird title. Basically a glorified (and pricey) Namco dictionary.

遊びづくり四十年のあゆみ (Asobitsukuri Yonjuunen no Ayumi): Published in 1993, this is apparently an extensive history of Taito. Rareness level: Star dust mixed with Unicorn tears. I've actively hunted it (IE, had it in my Yahoo Japan auctions list) for seven years. Number of hits: A big fat donut. I asked a friend of mine who had once seen it, and he lol'ed me out of the room when I said I wanted one.

Googling just now I did find it was subtitled "40th History of Taito Corporation". Taito themselves published it. 185 pages on A5. It was a hand out only. No price, nor ISBN. Good luck.

Consumer
Good By Soft Extensive list of cancelled Mega Drive titles. Doujinshi, technically, so you have to hunt a bit to find it. Note there is a "plus" version which is slightly updated and probably easier to find.

All Encompasing
TV Game Denshi Yuugi Daizen. Published in the late 80's, this has a profile pic and bio of many of the top names in the business. Not Just Japan, but many western developers as well. Pricey.

Denshi Yuugi Jidai TV Game no Genzai Follow up to the previously mentioned book. Apparently not as good, and much cheaper.
GaijinPunch
gay men guy

Post by GaijinPunch »

Sega Arcade History セガ・アーケード・ヒストリ
These will take you a while to find, I'm afraid. Well, they did me anyway. Got some good reads out of them. Oh, the good old days.
WINNOWING
eBay: winnowing444
Initials: WIN

Post by WINNOWING »

Thanks guys, just ordered 2 books from the list and watched movies, which I could find. Any hint where to find the Video Craze or Hi Score! ?
Who are you? - Rufus
exSOLDIER first class - Cloud
AVALANCHE! - Barret
Me Also - Tifa
I am flowergirl from the market! - Aeris
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

The All About Namco books document extensively how everything works in the games. Patterns, charts and loads of Japanese text. And the layouts of all the levels. Also reviews of home ports, but the books are very old so they are basically limited to home computers. Oh, and then there is sheet music too.

EDIT: And then there is that book that lists every official and unofficial Super Famicom release ever: http://i.imgur.com/VnEUYhE.jpg

EDIT2: Links to Amazon.co.jp for the Namco books:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%8A%E3%83 ... bout+namco

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%8A%E3%83 ... bout+namco
Last edited by LEGENOARYNINLIA on December 2nd, 2013, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emulation's nice when done well
gundarN
Officially Special
Initials: guN

Post by gundarN »

Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol1 is a nice book. The main reason for buying it is probably the disk rather than the book, but it's got some nice pictures and that.
Not as hardcore as some of the books on the list...

hiive books also did:
The 8-Bit Book - 1981 to 199x
The Commodore 64 Book - 1982 to 199x
The ZX Spectrum Book - 1982 to 199x
http://www.hiivebooks.com/"
Particularly good for browsing when on the bog.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Masters of Doom is a really good (quick) read. It's not arcade related but then neither's Indie Game TM.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0749924896/r ... Nsb1H7XBVQ"
GaijinPunch
gay men guy

Post by GaijinPunch »

gundarN wrote:Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol1 is a nice book. The main reason for buying it is probably the disk rather than the book, but it's got some nice pictures and that.
It's not a bad read, and an interesting one at that. Well, at least the couple of chapters I read. I should have read more. The disc is a miss for me. It's awesome to have those games, but there's no button config and they don't offer 240p mode. Boo.