Introduce yourself here!

New users start here!
Introductions, forum information, rules and guidelines.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Post by bloodhokuto »

Hi chaps,

Was going to start a topic in the cab section, but thought that it may not be appropriate.

Whilst I have been arcade gaming for many years, I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to cabs.

I have been using a Sigma supergun and have been happy with that, but have always fancied a cab, problem is - like a lot of people I don't really have the space.

I signed up here a while back because I wanted to get a mini-cute or equivalent, although having missed out on a few deals because I wasn't quick enough and a couple of other developments, I have reconsidered the idea of getting a mini cab.

If I'm going to get a cab, it may as well be a full on candy, as you seem to get better value for money, plus they're big and sexy!

---

So, recently I've been thinking of a couple of places that I can use;

1)

The first is our garage (which is not attached to our house). It's roof doesn't leak, but the floor needs levelling in order to stop water ingress, so after a bit of work I could use it ... I do actually use this for my car. However, I only ever use the garage for car in the winter, and only then if its snowy / icey.

The thought being is that for the few weeks worth that I will have to scrape off ice and snow won't be as bad as having a awesome cab in the garage.

Is there any suggestions on housing a cab in an external garage - even when I sort out any water ingress issues I am thinking perhaps that an external garage may not be a great environment for a cab - too damp, spiders! etc??

2)

The other option is that my sister has recently cleared out a large brick built shed (which she has had re-roofed) and she has offered me use of it.

The only problem is that the door is only 70cm wide (although there is a metal guard that can be removed). I understand that most cabs control panels can be removed, but say my cab gets delivered and its raining it down, will be it be an easy task for a novice to do this quickly in the delivery van (and then re-assemble it once inside)??

The other thing is, that I would have to travel to my sis's (who is only like 10 mins away), every time I want to play it, which means that I won't just be able to nip down the garden to the garage to have a quick blast.

And Finally;

Once I decide on the best location I need to decide on the best cab. I want one with two sets of controls, and rotatable screen, also It needs to be as compatible as possible, is that such a cab that ticks all these boxes and more?

Sorry for droning on, hope you can help.
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Things to consider;

A garage is not the best place for a cab, as they tend not to like damp or cold. It can be made to work however if you are careful.
Many cabs can be (partially) disassembled in order to fit through normal doorways. Not necessarily the easiest task for a noob, but if you do your homework you should be fine.
Rotate mechs are few and far between and tend to be on the more expensive machines. You can physically rotate the monitor in most cabs, but the inexperienced should be cautious handling monitors.
Comparability comes at a price. A 15k JAMMA cab will work for most games and can be had relatively cheaply, a tri-sync jamma/jvs cab will cost a lot more.

Check the guide on the wiki if you've not read it; http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Beginners ... Candy_Cabs
The technical section of the forum also has many threads that cover these topics.

And welcome! :awe:
PutmickJ
Please Continue...

Post by PutmickJ »

Hi everyone! My name is Patrick and I'm a student who loves arcades and fighting games. I've played on Candy Cabinets before and absolutely loved the experience, so I thought I should join and that it would be really fun to be on a forum about them. I hope to start a solid and fun fighting game collection on a candy cabinet of my own soon!
WhiteSpot
Please Continue...
Initials: JMF

Post by WhiteSpot »

Hi everyone, my name is Jorge, I have 37 years and I'm from Portugal.

I already have a "Portuguese generic" cab (photo 1 and 2) with try-sync or "four-sync" chassi to be used with original PCB´s and emulation, and today I received an Naomi Universal with a Triforce + GD-Rom and the game is supposed to be Virtua Striker 4 Ver. 2006.

The cab is needing some love (paint job) and after booting the system in the garage I only have eared some sound and no image. At this moment the cabinet is almost completely dismantled because when I tried to pass it to my "office" it don't pass my door inside my apartment hehe, so willing or not, it will be repainted :D.

This cab was an offer (pay nothing for the cab and the transport) so it´s a very good deal ;).

Apart my actual cabs (in the past I owned others Portuguese generic cabs and other pinball machines) I have a Police Force pinball and some arcade PCB´s (maybe 100).
g4rou
eBay: g4rou
Initials: EDF

Post by g4rou »

Bem-vindo Jorge :D Eu sou da Madeira
(Welcome Jorge :D I'm from Madeira)
mission65
Please Continue...

Post by mission65 »

Welcome Jorge and nice price on the cab ;)
jodre

Post by jodre »

Hi,
my name is Johan and im from Sweden.

I got a few cab here in my gameroom
Prefer games from this century and the picture prolly tells of what kind even though
it's a really crappy phonepic :)
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

Hello folks :wave:
WhiteSpot
Please Continue...
Initials: JMF

Post by WhiteSpot »

Thanks guys ;).
wileyPtum

Post by wileyPtum »

Hi everyone, no candys in my collection yet but building up to one!
tkeahi

Post by tkeahi »

Hi...I'm tkeahi. I used to be more of a classic arcade game collector (ms pacman, galaga, joust, etc) but I've recently got more into Naomi and similar games. I just picked up a Super GT driving cab (Scud Race outside the US) and am considering turning it into a OR2.

One of my other hobbies is fixing ultracade machines.

Oh yeah, I'm in Hawaii. Aloha!
kungfoune
Please Continue...

Post by kungfoune »

hello,

I'm Stéphane from France. I have an egret 3 toshiba since couple of month and it's wonderful!

pic soon!
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Post by IDCHAPPY »

Welcome to the forum everyone :D
dobemole

Post by dobemole »

Hi arcade guys :)

I'm Fred from France. I enjoy arcade games with an euro MVS woodcab for some years, and recently I got my first candy cab (astro w/ MS9).
:D :D
I play home games for decades, but now I really enjoy discovering some arcade games I didn't have chance to play in the past!

During my searches, I got many many times arcade otaku forum pages on my browser, so I finally decided to register. After few days of reading, I really like this forum!!

SY :)
toki999

Hello there :D

Post by toki999 »

Hi im a new user from uruguay. This is a great forum. I hope to help contribute to the community and greetings.
DaytimeDreamer
eBay: chaos-disturber

Post by DaytimeDreamer »

Hello to everyone!

Been around other gaming forums (Neo-Geo, Bordersdown, etc) and I now decided to join this cool place!

Only had a custom cab here in Greece, and I will try to buy an Egret II in the UK when the time is right :)
trenog
Please Continue...

Post by trenog »

Hello all!

Been at this arcade collector rodeo for some time now by having some Neo Geo Big Reds, but I'm finally going to get myself a candy cab so I'm on the lookout for great advice. I've heard that this is the place for it so I hope I'm not disappointed ;)
tawy

Post by tawy »

Hello everybody, my name is tawy.
I'm in the videogame since always. And i have now my own arcade candy cab ;)
TadCool
'Slayer'
eBay: Daicombo
Initials: RAF

Post by TadCool »

tawy wrote:Hello everybody, my name is tawy.
I'm in the videogame since always. And i have now my own arcade candy cab ;)
Which one? Which one?? :)

Oh, and welcome aboard. ;)
Candy Cabs 4 Life.
aclbandit
Please Continue...
Initials: ZAK

Post by aclbandit »

Hello!

As a proud owner of a new (and not-so-functional) Astro City, I think this will be the place to figure out how to fix it.

Be ready for some new threads about a Nanao MS8 :P
Current arcade Want List:
MVS: Top Hunter; Matrimelee; Blue's Journey