Anyone stroking themselves over the PS4 launch announcement?

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Re: Anyone stroking themselves over the PS4 launch announcem

Post by pubjoe »

Yeah, but the difference between current gen console and top end PC graphics is much more subtle than it has been at previous dawns of new consoles.
Lordstar wrote:
pubjoe wrote: "Hardcore gamer" is meaningless nonsense. What does it mean? You've played all the COD and GTA games to death? That's why I'm interested in what Sony actually intends to change because statements like "do more for the hardcore gamer" just sound like marketing drivel.
not shoving the wand or kinect down peoples throats is one thing that relates to 'the hardcore gamer'

honestly never been a big fan of sony and if I had to say pick a side I would of been xbox since I have always had one. But the Xbone is just retarded. I use joypad and sticks I dont want anything to do with wavey hand at all.
See that's where I see it differently. To me playing games is all about gimmicks. Be that new types of gameplay or new control schemes. Example 1, games like Fez are great due to a gameplay gimmick but with classic controls. Example 2, I actually am excited about the Oculus Rift. Now that's a killer feature (that could demand a high price) if they based a console around it.

I haven't actually used Kinnect (I tried in Tesco and it was a bit glitchy), but if someone has a good laugh with it, it's just as valid as a "pro" controller.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

I have a Kinect. The Dance games can be a good laugh but it doesn't lend itself to accurate, high speed gameplay at all.
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

Lordstar wrote:not shoving the wand down peoples throats - 'the hardcore gamer'
:hinthint: :fastlove:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Yeah, responsiveness is essential for anything to be satisfying.
Jan
EU trade negotiator
eBay: voll gerne

Post by Jan »

no idea why People still glorify Nintendo so much. don`t get me wrong , they would make a great 3rd Party , but they are certainly not the videogame messiah.
ain't got no realestateorjewelryoranyofthat
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn »

sure they are.
more than sony or microsoft.
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

no , they suck.
more than sony or Microsoft.

:palm:
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Nintendo are the one truely innvoative game developer still out there. As others have said, everyone else appears driven purely by the quickest route to the most wallets with reskinned versions of 10 year old ideas. Nintendo actually try to do new stuff.

Loving the Sony strategy. Pounce on Microsoft arrogance, do the opposite, take undeserved credit. :lol:

Can't see this all-in-one media/gaming/entertainment box idea taking off btw, looks like Microsoft are headed up a blind alley. People want a console to play games on, using a controller. They don't want all this other crud, plus kinect/wii/move is largely a niche for kids and party games.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Neo_Arcadia wrote:no idea why People still glorify Nintendo so much.
Come on, it's not like there's many of us left still hanging on.
Jan
EU trade negotiator

Post by Jan »

Nintendo are the one truely innvoative game developer still out there
think so ?

Recycling their ips for the last 10 years over and over again is not really innvoative if you ask me.

and don`t getme started on the hardware and all the updates...
Last edited by Jan on June 11th, 2013, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover

Post by ninn »

still remembering last christmas, or so, when kinect came out.

I knew so many person wo wanted to play that.
They invited friends to play those sucky "kneel now to duck"-package-in-game.

I can not remember someone actually playing a kinect game within the last 1 1/2 years.
Randy and Candy.
Spectre
By Spectre
eBay: spectre-uk
Initials: JIM

Post by Spectre »

Neo_Arcadia wrote:Recycling their ips for the last 10 years over and over again is not really innvoative if you ask me.
Everyone recycles their IPs, the characters and themes are established and popular. It's the gameplay and the way the games are designed which counts, imho Nintendo tries to innovate in this area far more than their contemparies.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Neo_Arcadia wrote:
Nintendo are the one truely innvoative game developer still out there
think so ?

Recycling their ips for the last 10 years over and over again is not really innvoative if you ask me.

and don`t getme started on the hardware and all the updates...
Getting millage out beloved characters. It's a fine line I know, but they actually have memorable characters. Jack & Daxter :problem: Sly Raccoon :problem: Drake :palm:

I guess I have now fallen into the nintendo fanboy camp, in that I'm bored of MS & Sony and still somehow find occasional enjoyment from Nintendo products. I still prefer to play modern games, when the urge strikes, on PC. I can't stop banging on about this, but based on convenience & price of games, they could both learn a thing or 2 from steam.
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

Microsoft think gamers want...

…but gamers just want this...

Image X4 as powerful.

All people I ever talk about is that leap from what we have now, to playing games that run faster, smoother and immerse the player into a real-world environment. They want a machine that plays the sort of games they love now but can represent real life a bit better. Games like COD and Fifa are BIG hitters for these companies and the core market plays around these types of games, just the same as any other big industry, the mainstream follow the more obvious stuff. That’s what makes those special, quirky titles so special when they do come along for the people who, like us, will play.

I'd love a game like COD that was almost real. Something that really made me think I was a soldier in combat.

I want a games machine that makes me feel like I am doing the things I see on screen, as if I was taking part in it for real, or as close to an experience as I could get without doing it, taking the risks and facing the consequences.

I don’t what to be flapping my arms around the room and kicking invisible objects. I just want an 'experience' but without the gimmicks.

I think the Xbox One and PS4 will be the starting block for getting closer to this sort of gameplay, with 60fps and ever more realistic face mapping, speech modeling and the raw power to actually run the stuff without screen tearing and slowdown. These small points are what these next gen consoles will iron out. I don’t think we can expect much else really from them games side.

Networking with friends, downloading on demand and just ease to get 'you' out there to other gamers on your console of choice is the implementation that will be though out from the start of the design of these consoles, not a bolt on like we have now. This will be the other side of what the next gen consoles will bring.

I’m not a fan of this side of games really as I like to escape friends and other people when I play games. Its my bit of escaping I enjoy.

Roll on November.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

Nintendo heads (not Neo Arcadia), E3 Nintendo Direct E3 live starting NOW! :D

http://e3.nintendo.com/"
LOL Cats... stupid cats
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Post by wonderbanana »

I lost interest in Nintendo with the Wii.

About time they did something, well, different.
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

All I need is my new PS4 for blowing things up or punching people in the face.

I will get a Wii U for everything else. Ill wait until a bit after E3 and hopefully the price will settle or there will be some decent bundles at least on the Wii U.

There are enough games coming out that look good..

Super Mario 3D World 2 just confirmed by Nintendo at E3. Looks like Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS but with the usual 4 player but the worlsd look like a proper 3D environment this time rather than the 2D/3D hybride Super Mario 3D Land 3DS is.

New Mario Kart 8. Looks like karts that can turn to hoover karts and go up walls. Proper 3d, multi level tracks too . Looks good if your into MK. If not, then, I doubt your will be converted! :D

I'm in Nintendo! :D
LOL Cats... stupid cats
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Sonic All star racing Tranny was so much better than any post snes MK.

I think you should take all this pro ninny talk to another thread, otherwise the PS4 boys (all 3 of them) will start to kick things :shifty:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Tets, even-more-almost-realistic is like auto-felatio. It's only round the corner but it's always out of reach. Graphical power isn't a cure for "uncanny valley". It takes ever more effort to create a realistic and dynamic environment full of NPCs, and even then as soon as you step off the QTE rails, the illusion is shattered. It's not just graphics, it's simply a hell of a lot more work from more chefs to create what is ultimately a really really nice COD or TR skin.

I've found myself vastly preferring stylised, complimentary game art.
Spectre wrote:Can't see this all-in-one media/gaming/entertainment box idea taking off
I actually do want this, but minus the games. The only reason being that if I'm going to have a living room comms portal always-on and connected, I want a silent little low powered box doing it. Apple TV leaves a lot to be desired but it's ~2 watts vs XStation's ~200 watts speaks for itself. Big **** off gaming tank as dedicated hardware, fair enough, but I'm not leaving that always on to pick up youtube videos and messenger.
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover

Post by ninn »

did I hear ninny? :awe:
Randy and Candy.