Conversions debate (split from IRT thread)

Coin-operated games and arcades.
system11

Re: I received today...

Post by system11 »

Ugh - someone gave HD money for one of his **** bootlegs. :(
Random blog of stuff:
http://blog.system11.org
moh
Please Continue...

Post by moh »

great haul wonderbanana, while i do think HD charges a bit too much for his conversions, WHO GIVES A **** ITS **** KETSUI.

enjoy the games ;)
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

So how much are they? His G-Net stuff is ridiculous.
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Post by wonderbanana »

moh wrote:great haul wonderbanana, while i do think HD charges a bit too much for his conversions, WHO GIVES A **** ITS **** KETSUI.

enjoy the games ;)
Aye, amazing game. I like it enough now that I'll probably source an original pcb later in the year though I do like the cart as it boots immediately and its just easy to leave the cart/mobo combo in the cab to hook up anytime I feel like it unlike a pcb.

Price wise not cheap I guess but then its a hell of a lot cheaper than the pcb and I didnt want to buy a JP 360 so wth, not exactly full of options. It does the job and its very handy as noted above. ;)
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

yosai wrote:So how much are they? His G-Net stuff is ridiculous.
Always curious to what joerg charges.

Funny thing is people bootleg his work! For cheaper.
Say hello to my little friend...
yosai
Windy City

Post by yosai »

wonderbanana wrote:I do like the cart as it boots immediately and its just easy to leave the cart/mobo combo in the cab to hook up anytime I feel like it unlike a pcb.
Please explain. Most PCBs boot immediately and are easy to leave in a cab.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

SH3 stuff does that initilisation thing as do a few other pcbs, raizing springs to mind.

IIRC PGM based stuff, Galuda / DOJ / Ketsui boot immediately? We're talking 10-15 seconds delay anyways.

I'm also interested in what these PGM conversions cost. DOJ is £250-300 & Ketsui £400 for an original, how much cheaper are the carts?
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

wonderbanana wrote:Price wise not cheap I guess but then its a hell of a lot cheaper than the pcb and I didnt want to buy a JP 360 so wth, not exactly full of options
are we talking 50+ 100+ 200+ etc ,i've no intention of ever buying one but just curiousnosey really

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

Well, if it was £50 / 100 I might be lol
meijin

Post by meijin »

On some German boards he charged 180€ for Ketsui and 160€ for ESPGaluda
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

:lol: yeah 50-100 makes a bit of sense i reckon they are more though

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

meijin wrote:On some German boards he charged 180€ for Ketsui and 160€ for ESPGaluda
Thanks meijin,

Espgaluda £150 (original pcb sells for £180-200) :problem:
Ketsui £170 (original pcb sells for £400-450) :shifty:

If you have a motherboard (but why would you as PGM has 2 decent games) then it's not that bad. Original 4vah in this case.....
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

yosai wrote:
wonderbanana wrote:I do like the cart as it boots immediately and its just easy to leave the cart/mobo combo in the cab to hook up anytime I feel like it unlike a pcb.
Please explain. Most PCBs boot immediately and are easy to leave in a cab.
In other words the cart in the mobo (housed in plastic) I can place virtually anywhere in the cab and leave another pcb mounted to the main board which I find dead handy, just change the jamma harness over and your (essentially) done.

Regarding boot, it's nothing major but the game is literally ready the moment you turn the cab on. No biggie but still :)

As it happens buying this has probably made my mind up to buy the original Ketsui pcb later on - before I wasn't sure as it's an expensive pcb and I hadn't spent much time with it - now though I know it's worth the investment (like others I do like my originals). That being said I can see myself keeping the cart, its just very, very convienient and something I could loan out to others to try the game.

Price = 180 Euro (£166) delivered. Not cheap and I don't get why its 20 Euro more expensive than Galuda (which isn't worth it due to the low price of the pcb) and DOJ BL (the latter being quite tempting given the situation with the pcb) but for me, it's ok and fulfills what I want it to. And ultimately I'm more than happy and really thats all that matters. ;)

Edit: Another thing is an awful lot of people pay between 80 - 120 for a Progear conversion when an original can be had for as little as £200 (in fact mullets original on eBay went for approx £145 recently). In that sense, Ketsui is the more sensible choice.
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
yosai
Windy City

Post by yosai »

I have no problems with the conversions as they they play exactly the same it's all good. A Progear conversion is ~£60 in component parts (~£90 with MB) hence the pricing.
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

yosai wrote:A Progear conversion is ~£60 in component parts (~£90 with MB) hence the pricing.
Yeah I know bud, I meant in the sense that the difference in cost to an original makes it almost not worth it. At least with Ketsui given the price etc it makes a bit more sense even if you are paying a premium for the conversion.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

Is there a link to that cheap **** progear? I thought it was still a £220-250 game.

I'm not against conversions at all, especially with these carts. You know from the off that it's a conversion, so much less chance of someone being conned into paying "original" prices, unlike progear.....

Ketsui is 20EUR more because people will pay it. I still don't think the PGM conversions are worth the money, but there's only one person doing it, so I imagine the prices will remain high.
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

markedkiller78 wrote:Is there a link to that cheap **** progear? I thought it was still a £220-250 game.
Yup - ended at £142: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300892325723? ... 1438.l2649"
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

wonderbanana wrote:
markedkiller78 wrote:Is there a link to that cheap **** progear? I thought it was still a £220-250 game.
Yup - ended at £142: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300892325723? ... 1438.l2649"
Nice price for the buyer. Might have sold for more if there was a picture of it opened up in all it's original glory.
wonderbanana

Post by wonderbanana »

markedkiller78 wrote:Nice price for the buyer. Might have sold for more if there was a picture of it opened up in all it's original glory.
Yeah, probably a one off though. I know it was on shmups and elsewhere for ages and didn't sell (even at £200 I think). There is a pic in the auction of the cart opened up showing the infamous slanted roms or whatever.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

So there is! It looks like CPS2 has finally died a death. After fees & shipping, that's aout £120 to the seller. Ouch.