CPS1 WILLOW

PCB problems and fixes
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

CPS1 WILLOW

Post by geotrig »

Right picked up a williow and the c board seems to be borkered ...what are my option is there any other c boards compatible with

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!

Re: CPS1 WILLOW

Post by geotrig »

pic of damaged c board right hand side
IMGA0024.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
dbstallman
Please Continue...

Post by dbstallman »

According to the info at arcadecollecting.com : http://www.arcadecollecting.com/info/cps-b_numbers.html", Willow is the only game that uses the CPS-B-03 chip.

That would mean the only source for a replacement "C" board would be another Willow board.

If you have the right tools, you can repair the damage on that chip (most likely), I've fixed several "C" boards with broken traces or bent/lifted pins. The only damage that is irrepairable is if the board wasn't seated properly when power was applied and the chip is burned out.

Brian.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

gonna have a sit down tonight and see what i can manage with it ...fingers crossed and all that

jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Good luck! I will say a prayer to the PCB gods for you. Willow is a great game.
footix
Please Continue...

Post by footix »

do it with a needle and solder flux, shouldn't be too hard to do! crossing the fingers!
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

alright so spent quite a while at this over the last day and a bit taking my time etc ..
I had 2 pins that where causing me more trouble than others (6 pins to fix in all).These were touching each others tracks ,and bent to **** ,so got them all seperated and re-solder as much as i could ..i didnt add any solder as i hate these type of chips as they always cause me hassle so the outcome below

games up and running :D but with some glitches ,overall not too bad, the willow screen being the worst :problem: guys is orange as he was hit,
Now not sure if this is still the c board or somehting else, i have my suspicions that its could be the 2 pins that cause me the most hassle as one was /is very hard to get solder down without connecting to the other track ...i might try run a wire from that pin to the connector and see if it makes a difference

Did i mention that my eye's are now crossed from looking at stupid little pins :awe: :lol:

and yes kern i do realise i have one button a different colour :problem:

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

looks like it's still C-board related lover.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

excellent thanks rossy ...kinda had a feeling it was ...back to pins 5&6 again tomorrow :roll:

geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

well have had no luck so far ...still the same ,

I went over all the 12 pins as best as i could and all seem to be ok.I even ran a wire from the one i was having trouble with ,The 6th one in ,and no differece,
I also tested with this one not connected and it made no difference :eh: :roll: Same picture ...

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Could be a bad ROM I guess, but the C board is already suspect. Just stabbing in the dark really. Hard to tell without it in front of me, sorry old bean. :(
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

yeah gonna go through the roms and check those hopefully 8-) :(

geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

right so i had no other cp1 mb around that i knew worked so i picked up another from rossyra switched the mb and :awe: :awe: :awe:

it works perfectly .. excuse the crappy pic, in my joy i rooted out my dslr but couldnt get a decent pic with it :roll: so had to use another camera :lolno: still not much better
Last edited by geotrig on January 25th, 2013, 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Awesomeular :awe:

Have you tried the screwy mobo on CAW? They don't all use the same RAM.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

aye might have a poke around with the other board ....i presume it could be one of the custom chips, not much i can see wrong with it either way ,not overaly pushed now anyway :awe:

Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

Could be a number of things, worth a shot I spose.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

Woo nice one G-money! :awe:

Have fun! :D