Earthing your Cab-Instructions request.

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
geldra

Earthing your Cab-Instructions request.

Post by geldra »

Back on KC there was a pretty extensive guide on how to earth your candy cab, did anyone manage to copy it before KC went under or happen to have a similar set of instructions?

I want to earth my E2.
Astro City is only a letter away from atrocity. Makes you think doesn’t it?
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Re: Earthing your Cab-Instructions request.

Post by capcomguru »

On the back by the mains plug, there should be a metal post with a nut on it. Connect a wire to that post using a crimp-style "eye" terminal. Run that wire to the ground input of your surge protector. They have do-it-yourself AC plugs which clamp together with screws. In the past, I've run the ground wire into one of those, but left the Hot and Neutral pin unpopulated.

Hope that helps!
geldra

Post by geldra »

Cool, I'll have a look round the back of the cab later. If i run the earth wire to the step down that should be enough right?
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

geldra wrote:If i run the earth wire to the step down that should be enough right?
As long as the stepdown is earthed
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
dmauro
Please Continue...

Post by dmauro »

What I did with my Astro City cabs was I removed the back plate the power was going into, disconnected the the two power connections and used pliers to remove the plug and the plastic cap holding the power wire in place. I cut the female end off of a PC power cord (anything you can spare with a three prong plug on the end will work though) and stripped it down so that I had the three wires separated with their ends exposed ( :oops: ) and attached ring terminals. I then put it in the plastic cap the old wire was in and snapped that back into the metal plate. I ran the power wires to the connections that the original wire was attached to, and connected the ground wire to the earthing post. Nice and easy three prong plug instead of two prong plus separate earth wire.
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

dmauro wrote:What I did with my Astro City cabs was I removed the back plate the power was going into, disconnected the the two power connections and used pliers to remove the plug and the plastic cap holding the power wire in place. I cut the female end off of a PC power cord (anything you can spare with a three prong plug on the end will work though) and stripped it down so that I had the three wires separated with their ends exposed ( :oops: ) and attached ring terminals. I then put it in the plastic cap the old wire was in and snapped that back into the metal plate. I ran the power wires to the connections that the original wire was attached to, and connected the ground wire to the earthing post. Nice and easy three prong plug instead of two prong plus separate earth wire.
That's fine if the cab is 110V and your supply is 110V.
If you live in a 240V area, like geldra, this will blow the PSU.
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
geldra

Post by geldra »

dj_johnnyg wrote:
geldra wrote:If i run the earth wire to the step down that should be enough right?
As long as the stepdown is earthed
Its a one of those big ol' Maplins bad boys. I'm guessing i'll know by opening up the plug.
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Post by Akuma »

What I did with the Super Neo was that I ebayed some US power cords (the 3 pin ones), butchered the end and attached the 3rd pin to the cabs main ground - never got shocked since then : )
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

I'll redo the tutorial and upload it.
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
geldra

Post by geldra »

That would be tremendous, thanks pen.
capcomguru
Please Continue...

Post by capcomguru »

kernow wrote:I never understood this either

ain't been shocked yet though! :awe:
Trust me you get shocked if its not grounded right.

Aside from the usual ZAP there was always AC current running through anything metal in my cabs. You could physically feel the pulse lol. I measured it once... was about 10-20v AC. Maybe its a USA power only issue?
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Fyi, Naomi Uni's have earth straps all over the place, must be there for a reason.
zumbito
eBay: jaime5171

Post by zumbito »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just disassembled an Astro City, and now is the time to put it back together, problem is I have couple of green ground wires, but not sure where they did go. Any tips on how to place them in the right place? The CP is already grounded, and there is one already placed in left foot of the cab.
Eddhorse
eBay: Eddlowry
Initials: EDL

Post by Eddhorse »

Found on another AO thread:

1) there are four ground wires coming from the ground lug on the inside of the cabinet.
____ a) one goes into the power supply
____ b) one goes up to the control panel
________ i) the control panel ground wire hits a two-pin AMPUP connector (in which only one of the pins is populated) and then to a screw at the center of the metal portion of the CP overlay's' underside.
________ from this bolt/nut-connector, four additional wires radiate out as follows:
____________ 1) One connects to the right locking clip receiver at the far front-right of the CP
____________ 2) One connects to the metal edging on the movestrip holder
____________ 3) One connects to the control panel connecting hinge
____________ 4) One connects to the far left bracket that holds up the monitor
____ c) two go toward the right side of the cabinet
________ i) One terminates in the floor of the cabinet, screwed straight into the floor
________ ii) One moves around and up toward the coin door, where it connects to the coin door hinge and to the side of the coin mech
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

I will try to find another astro and post some pics of how it is wired, it might help other people too.
trev1976

Post by trev1976 »

I've got to rewire mine again soon so that would be really helpful

Thanks
Check out my "1cc" YouTube Channel
YouTube
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Everything that is metal should be grounded except the monitor frame and the metal brackets for it.
zumbito

Post by zumbito »

trev1976 wrote:I've got to rewire mine again soon so that would be really helpful

Thanks
Bad luck, the astro I had in mind, is so stuffed with wires that it is hard to see anything at the back. I could just spot this ground wires:

This is the front left leg, three ground wires here. One is for an extra computer power cord that was wired stright from the transformer.

Front panel one in the hinge.

Another one in the bolt that fixes the coin slide to the cab frame.

Im sure there are more in the back part, but as I said this cab was stuffed and couldn't get anything else. If anyone has better picture and wants to share them, it could be really helpful.