Have you ever thought of quitting your job and…

Coin-operated games and arcades.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Re: Have you ever thought of quitting your job and…

Post by John James Pacinelli »

Yeah.... as I said, arcades die where there is no longer love for them. Here in Singapore I play SF during my lunch break on a lovely vs city. The arcade is in the same building as my office... then on the way back home I play SF in an arcade close to my condo. Then, I get back home and I play SSF2X on my beloved SEGA Dreamcast. The reason arcades did not die here is because there are still a lot of people who love them. Yo yo! You brits show me some sugar!! Gimme some LUUUV YO! Image

And they'll come back...
Vagina
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

You see Bingo, arcades are like animals, if you feed them they'll come back eventually.
Vagina
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

John James Pacinelli wrote:Arcade from the 90's will have a come back too. It's just a matter of time, and it's already happening.
LUUUUUV!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48043484@N00/

New arcade in fornia. Why everybody says "cali"? Image
Vagina
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

What a plethora of neat AWs! GO GO GO!
Vagina
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

John James Pacinelli wrote:
John James Pacinelli wrote:Arcade from the 90's will have a come back too. It's just a matter of time, and it's already happening.
LUUUUUV!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48043484@N00/

New arcade in fornia. Why everybody says "cali"? Image
wow that looks like it could be an impressive arcade for sure.
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

@JJP - need a list of these arcades in Singa, and a meet up if you're around.

@J69 - Flamingo land is ****! :lol:
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

dj_johnnyg wrote:@JJP - need a list of these arcades in Singa, and a meet up if you're around.
No problemo.

Please visit http://tkaworld.com/, too bad their site is "under going revamp" they had a list with all the locations. Anyhow I can anticipate you that the one in Bugis Junction is the main one and it has all the classics. Not too bad. The one in Suntec City is currently under renovation, they are preparing for SFIV, it should be ready for the end of Sept, beg Oct.

Another option would be Super FunWorld in Marina Square shopping mall. They are slightly different as they basically have
all Astros (which are kinda rare here in Spore). Good selection of games.

Then there's this one http://www.zonex.com.sg/, never been there but it seems they have a nice bunch of games.

Hope we can meet for a pizza!
Vagina
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

Ah-ha tkaworld was where I asked about spare parts!

Should be hitting Singa the last week in sept, so I'll keep my eyes out for SFIV
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

Micro arcade

http://www.avft16.dsl.pipex.com/gm_1.jpg"
http://www.avft16.dsl.pipex.com/gm_2.jpg"

I've been to many arcades lately, nobody was playing the videos.

Pushers make 10x the income of any vid at the moment.
Say hello to my little friend...
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

It might have a lot to do with people not taking holidays inside the country. it can work out a lot cheaper to fly to spain for a week than it does in petrol up and down the country. but i guess if your not aiming your arcade at holiday makers it could still work.
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andygeezer
Blue Skies Ahead
Initials: AGS

Post by andygeezer »

The only games I saw being played was the DDR machines with teen girlies.

and pushers, lots of pushers being played.

every arcade looked the same, same games etc..
Say hello to my little friend...
Orkie

Post by Orkie »

Strange, I saw the opposite a few weeks ago in the arcade on Poole quay. The place is mostly packed with fruit machines now, but even though it was full of people, there were only queues to go on the shooting games (nobody at all was on the slots) :S.
BigBattle
Please Continue...

Post by BigBattle »

If only it could work. The only arcades we have in NC, USA are redemption arcades. Only 1 out of the 2 have a third strike machine. Makes me remember when everybody would come out on saturday and there would be a 20min wait to play your next turn. Ahh...good times. I thought about doing something like that when I open my computer shop. But once again, location is the key. I think it would survive here because I live in primarily military town. And that means plenty of families with kids and geeks who joined the military for a way to pay for college. :D
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

yeah i think it would have to be half Arcade half something else Just to make it float financial. its something which i have given thought but right now Liverpool would not be the perfect place for one.
Checen Rebel
Please Continue...

Post by Checen Rebel »

Lordstar wrote:right now Liverpool would not be the perfect place for one.
Far from perfect, but in grand central near the milkshake bar (next to the gardens) could just about make money though.

~1000 emo/goth/gegger/punks passing through every saturday, at least 100 of which seem to hang around the gardens all day (most of them are little rich kids too, with more money than sense - just like most of the quiggins-kids were). A few hundred through the week plus loads of students during the week.

It's one of the few locations I think it would be possible on merseyside - still a massive gamble.

That and the guy who runs grand central is a tosser. :p
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

Checen Rebel wrote:
Lordstar wrote:right now Liverpool would not be the perfect place for one.
Far from perfect, but in grand central near the milkshake bar (next to the gardens) could just about make money though.

~1000 emo/goth/gegger/punks passing through every saturday, at least 100 of which seem to hang around the gardens all day (most of them are little rich kids too, with more money than sense - just like most of the quiggins-kids were). A few hundred through the week plus loads of students during the week.

It's one of the few locations I think it would be possible on merseyside - still a massive gamble.

That and the guy who runs grand central is a tosser. :p
The rent in Liverpool is some of the most expensive in the country compared to the number of people there. not to mention the rates which are highway robery. ive no doubt that the people are there for it but the rates/rent would just consume all the cash flow. Maybe after the hype of 2008 is over it might settle but right now theres hundreds of empty shop lots and thousands of empty aparptments and thats becuase no one can afford it.

It would need to be some kind of Arcade/bar/Live house and be open 7 days a week for it to come close to turning a profit.
Trust me ive looked in to it.
Checen Rebel
Please Continue...

Post by Checen Rebel »

Lordstar wrote:The rent in Liverpool is some of the most expensive in the country compared to the number of people there. not to mention the rates which are highway robery.
And greater merseyside in general. The prices landlords want are a joke. rates is a lot more reasonable - I've certainly seen worse in that regards.

Maybe after the hype of 2008 is over it might settle
I doubt it, it's always been like this.
but right now theres hundreds of empty shop lots and thousands of empty aparptments and thats becuase no one can afford it.
Again, liverpool has always been like this (it's actually less empty now than it was) - my overriding memories of liverpool in the 80's is the massive amount of empty buildings just falling into disrepair.

With regards to the "apartments" (sorry, but I'm not american - estate agents can use that word, but it's still a flat), well what do you expect when Cynthia developers throw houses/flats up everywhere. The whole country is suffering the same problem.

It would need to be some kind of Arcade/bar/Live house and be open 7 days a week for it to come close to turning a profit.
Yep, which is why somewhere like grand central (or the palace before it got closed down and turned into yet more flats or even quiggins if it had been bigger) would be ideal. There is a pub/bar/cafe/milk bar/shops all sharing one space which is used as a meeting point and hanging space for thousands of kids and teens every week, many of whom are getting £60 a week pocket money and blowing it on utter ****.

I've not been to afflecks palace in manchester for a couple of years, but they used the same formula - lots of shops/cafes/bar and stick an arcade in the middle of it, although apparently the guy who maintained them retired or something and they are down to a few "classics" now. The Coliseum also did the same thing, before it got shut down.
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

I did look in to quiggins as an option. Its the cheapest by far. I know a guy who is very good friends with the guy who owns the place. Unfortunately whenever ive gone in to the "new" quiggins its been pretty empty even on a Saturday nothing like the old place which was heaving from 3PM up until closing at 11PM or later (with the bar)

lol yeah apartments are flats same difference dude. But as where before housing was avaliable but good housing was sparse its now just so overpriced a lot of people who are working just cant afford it. the same goes for the shop fronts there so high priced its hard to get your foot in.
quiggins has had arcades in the past (a MVS multi slot if i recall) its a difficult one which would need a lot of fwd planning.

I dont have the cash to do it now but it something i have been thinking about quite a bit. I know i would need a qualified electrician to make all the Imported cabs ok to use in the UK. I would also need a few K to play with to get the cabs in the country. I would likely get at least 10 sitdowns and rent a few sega dedicated majiggers or buy off andy geezer. Thing is I could do it financially in say 2010 or 2012 but I doubt i could be there to man it as I know i have my head wrapped up in my Corprate wear biz and I doubt I will be getting any calmer for at least the next 5 years maybe a little sooner if my brother comes on board to ease my work load.
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

I lived in Liverpool for a while. The city was undergoing a radical change because of 08. I believe the city has potential for an arcade. I'm not saying it's gonna be easy, you have to choose your location very carefully. But I think you might actually pull it off.
Vagina
Checen Rebel
Please Continue...

Post by Checen Rebel »

Lordstar wrote:I did look in to quiggins as an option. Its the cheapest by far. I know a guy who is very good friends with the guy who owns the place. Unfortunately whenever ive gone in to the "new" quiggins its been pretty empty even on a Saturday nothing like the old place which was heaving from 3PM up until closing at 11PM or later (with the bar)
Someone who was friends with the tierneys? lies, they are friendless scum. =] They are some of the worst for profiteering - the prices they charged for units was ridiculous.

And pete has finally outed himself as a nazi - he's gonna get the same kicking the rest of the right get around here.

Grand central has pretty much the exact same crowd on a weekend as quiggins did (excluding the evenings of course, although when the bar was still open there was some overspill - it's going to be an indian restaurant now), during the week it can be quite dead but then so was quiggins from mon-wed. Most retailers have seen takings increase whilst the smaller units are actually paying less in rent.

quiggins has had arcades in the past (a MVS multi slot if i recall) its a difficult one which would need a lot of fwd planning.
Yep, in the brooke cafe during the mid 90's they had a part sectioned off with cabs in, but pete sacked the old guy who maintained the place to save costs. Then didn't have a clue how to look after the machines.