Favourite and/or most disappointing home arcade ports

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
spikehead
eBay: neles72

Re: Favourite and/or most disappointing home arcade ports

Post by spikehead »

While it was the weakest port Follins soundtrack is astonishing. Amazing what he squeezed out of the C64´s soundchip.

2nd level is where it´s at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG0PjgfHf5Q"
instant_classic
Actually Loves Take That
Initials: DAF

Post by instant_classic »

crunchywasp wrote:RnR racing was :awe: and that soundtrack fitted perfectly. I'm sure I've still got a loose cart in a box somewhere :think:
I still play it quite regularly.....normally when I have had a few beers :D
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

I'll have to rake it out 8-)

spikehead wrote:While it was the weakest port Follins soundtrack is astonishing. Amazing what he squeezed out of the C64´s soundchip.
I never played the C64 version - it's hard to believe that music's on the C64! Sounds ace.

I had G&G for the MD and remember it being a great port
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

crunchywasp wrote::lol: I don't remember that controversy. SotB did have creepy music though.
Maybe controversy was a strong word. Total non event is a bit more accurate.
crunchywasp wrote:I always find myself whistling or humming this from Super Mario World...

I always make up words to songs that don't have lyrics :palm: in my head the chorus of this Mario song is about everyone stopping for a tea break :palm: The words to the music of the cave levels is about a fat guy I used to know, who's surname is Hogg, hogging all the food :palm:
:lol: Please, let's hear the actual words.

My Son when he was three suddenly sang out while Donkey Kong climbed up the ladder in the intro. "Nauugh-ty-Dooon-ky Koooo-oooong". It fits perfectly.
Hewitson
Please Continue...
Initials: BJA

Post by Hewitson »

crunchywasp wrote:I never played the C64 version - it's hard to believe that music's on the C64! Sounds ace.
It's a nice tune, but the SID is capable of far more impressive music than that :)
crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
Porl
Please Continue...
eBay: melvisbrevel
Initials: PTB

Post by Porl »

kernow wrote:midnight resistance was great.
True that! My best mate had a C64c Night Moves pack and we played and played Midnight Resistance for a whole school summer holiday break! Absolutely loved it! :awe:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

pubjoe wrote::lol: Please, let's hear the actual words.

I'll maybe regret this but the overworld tune goes something like this (start at about 0.20 on the vid) You have to imagine you're Mario... "stompin' an' jumpin', everyone stops for tea. stompin' an' jumpin', everything stops... pause... stompin' an' jumpin' 'cos that what I like to do, but even when you're me, you gotta drink tea" :palm: :palm: :oops:

The music for the cave levels is far more dynamic - the percussion part pretty much just repeats "fat Billy Hogg hogs the food, fat Billy Hogg hogs the food" etc. then the rest of the song's really just a list of the different things he's hogging - mainly different types of biscuits in my mind, but you can sing anything really - that's the beauty of it :palm: :palm: :palm:
pubjoe wrote:My Son when he was three suddenly sang out while Donkey Kong climbed up the ladder in the intro. "Nauugh-ty-Dooon-ky Koooo-oooong". It fits perfectly.
That's ace - it does fit perfectly :awe:
Last edited by crunchywasp on August 6th, 2012, 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrSandman
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Post by MrSandman »

As mentioned before, I guess Street Fighter 2 and Final Fight were good arcade ports for the SNES, though until recently I could only compare SF2 to its original.

In retrospect, I also find that Street Fighter Alpha 2 was a good port to the SNES despite the systems limitations.

I can't quite remember if Parodius was a good port too, or if suffered from the same flickering and slowdown problems other shoot 'em ups had.

[EDIT: posted in the wrong thread]
Last edited by MrSandman on August 6th, 2012, 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Hans, I've just noticed something."
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Hewitson wrote:
crunchywasp wrote:I never played the C64 version - it's hard to believe that music's on the C64! Sounds ace.
It's a nice tune, but the SID is capable of far more impressive music than that :)
I used to love the Ocean loading music :awe:
Hewitson
Please Continue...

Post by Hewitson »

MrSandman wrote:As mentioned before, I guess Street Fighter 2 and Final Fight were good arcade ports for the SNES, though until recently I could only compare SF2 to its original.
Street Fighter 2 wasn't a bad port, although I do prefer the MD version. They did a terrible job with Final Fight, Guy is missing and it's only single player. The Amiga version is much better.
crunchywasp wrote:I used to love the Ocean loading music
crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
instant_classic
Actually Loves Take That

crunchywasp wrote:
Hewitson wrote:
I used to love the Ocean loading music :awe:
Yea I remember ocean loading music.

Iirc weren't tnzs and rainbow islands published by ocean on the c64? As I remember them having great loading music :D
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Yep, it was all ace but the Robo loading screen was my favourite...
Hewitson
Please Continue...

Post by Hewitson »

instant_classic wrote:Iirc weren't tnzs and rainbow islands published by ocean on the c64? As I remember them having great loading music
Yep, they were.
crunchywasp wrote:Yep, it was all ace but the Robo loading screen was my favourite...
Yeah, I've always liked that one too. Shame the game sucks.. Robocop should be added to list of most disappointing ports, it isn't even completable.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

crunchywasp wrote:
pubjoe wrote::lol: Please, let's hear the actual words.

I'll maybe regret this but the overworld tune goes something like this (start at about 0.20 on the vid) You have to imagine you're Mario... "stompin' an' jumpin', everyone stops for tea. stompin' an' jumpin', everything stops... pause... stompin' an' jumpin' 'cos that what I like to do, but even when you're me, you gotta drink tea" :palm: :palm: :oops:

The music for the cave levels is far more dynamic - the percussion part pretty much just repeats "fat Billy Hogg hogs the food, fat Billy Hogg hogs the food" etc. then the rest of the song's really just a list of the different things he's hogging - mainly different types of biscuits in my mind, but you can sing anything really - that's the beauty of it :palm: :palm: :palm:
pubjoe wrote:My Son when he was three suddenly sang out while Donkey Kong climbed up the ladder in the intro. "Nauugh-ty-Dooon-ky Koooo-oooong". It fits perfectly.
That's ace - it does fit perfectly :awe:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tart31

Post by tart31 »

I have a disorder where I sing words to the music usually using the words willy,bum and poo :shifty:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

:lol: perfectly natural :awe:
Hewitson wrote:
crunchywasp wrote:Yep, it was all ace but the Robo loading screen was my favourite...
Yeah, I've always liked that one too. Shame the game sucks.. Robocop should be added to list of most disappointing ports, it isn't even completable.
The game was horrible, which is a shame as I loved it in the arcade. I never even got near to completing it, although I couldn't have anyway. I played RoboCop 2 more and thought it was ace at the time, probably just because it was Robo and had no loading as it was on a cart. I was playing the NES version recently and it's a disgrace - slidy and frustrating, just like I remember it being :mad: I was more tolerant back then
instant_classic
Actually Loves Take That

Another game I remember being good on the C64 was Batman (the move version), I played that to death when i was a kid!
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Btw, isn't the Arcade version of Robocop a port of the c64 game? :think: On the title screen is clearly states that it's licensed from Ocean Software. :awe:
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Looks like the arcade version was released in '88 and the home versions '89...

Wikipedia says:

'RoboCop is a 1988 run & gun and beat 'em up hybrid arcade game developed and published by Data East and Nihon Bussan and licensed to UK-based Ocean Software for release on home systems.'

'Unlike the other ports, the Commodore 64 version is a mostly original game that only loosely follows the arcade RoboCop'

I do remember it being a bit different to the arcade (really only because ED-209 was absent from the end of level 1 really) but I thought it was more than just loosely based :think: My memory's not what it was. Maybe my 10 year old self wanted to think it was just like the arcade? :crazy:
ikaruga007
eBay: dex511
Initials: PJN

Post by ikaruga007 »

Sorry for going off topic but I love this remix of the Green Beret and Rambo C64 loaders. Always listen to it at work to get me in the right mood.