Ashtrays...

Coin-operated games and arcades.
NASguy

Ashtrays...

Post by NASguy »

I'm prepared to take heat for this opinion from the true believers, but what's with the ash trays?

I think they're completely stupid unless you're a smoker, and judging by all the keys and tokens I see in them, smokers aren't putting them to use. I've been in plenty of restaurants that had ash trays on the tables, I never felt like I needed one for my kitchen table over dinner.

I've also seen threads where people talk about how they "took" one from a Club Sega/Taito arcade. Real classy. :palm:

Just something that **** me off when I see cab pictures.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Re: Ashtrays...

Post by crunchywasp »

Personally I think they look great and keep things tidy & organised, whilst also looking as though they belong with the cab. What better receptacle for storing your bits & bobs close to hand?

I completely agree with you about folks stealing them though - not classy. I guess by having them you're effectively pinching them by proxy but as with most misdemeanours it seems less heinous that way :think:
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

crunchywasp wrote:Personally I think they look great and keep things tidy & organised, whilst also looking as though they belong with the cab. What better receptacle for storing your bits & bobs close to hand?

I completely agree with you about folks stealing them though - not classy. I guess by having them you're effectively pinching them by proxy but as with most misdemeanours it seems less heinous that way :think:
I also know that the arcades don't sell them, so it makes me wonder if any online for sale are probably stolen. Just seems a shame that the market for them is more than likely encouraging this behavior.

Would be interesting to ask an employee how many they go through in a month. Wouldn't catch me risking deportation to lift one. :o
What better receptacle for storing your bits & bobs close to hand?
The coin box seems to work just fine.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

They remind me of transparent Or pearlescent buttons, chrome dust washers, sega key rings, samsung smart phones and boy racers, great in Essex but a bit corny elsewhere.

You may need to look up Essex if not in the UK.
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

Last edited by yosai on July 23rd, 2012, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link ;)
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

I have a couple of Taito ashtrays. One is in my control panel that hold most of the rotate mech and bezel fixings and the other gets used as an ashtray. :awe:
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

yosai wrote:I have a couple of Taito ashtrays. One is in my control panel that hold most of the rotate mech and bezel fixings and the other gets used as an ashtray. :awe:
Where did you smuggle them out of then? :awe: :lol:

At least you use it to smoke.
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

kernow wrote:I certainly wouldn't pay £18 for one as they are priced now, just for a bit of cab jewelry.

Look at me! I'm in a proper Japanese arcade! :awe:

except erm your cab is near new mint condition and they're all ****. Cmon do it properly have a right shed for a cab too. :awe:
I also don't get repainting an entire cab, like why?

I understand doing it to something that's yellowing (like NAC speaker array), but I see people respray entire cabs just because they show some years of use? Then they ripoff the stock side art and apply repro? :palm:

My cab is proudly running the original paint complete with nicks and scratches from real Japanese arcade masters.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Do you know what really grinds my gears...

**** y'all, I likes to bejazzle my cabs.

There's probably some irony here, but I would not be happy if someone used my sega ashtray for fag ends. From what I've seen people steal them in Tokyo and arcade goers sit their lit cigarets on the cp to leave a nice little heat burn.
jase

Post by jase »

Ashtrays are cool. They're a nice little curiousity, a snippet of Japan arcade culture. They look pretty cool on cabs I think, and are a great way to store Yens and keep your keys in.

I have the Sega, Club Sega, and Sega GiGo ones, Namco, and Taito (blue, red and black). I've come across two versions of the blue ones, one with a small Taito logo printed three times on the 'tray, another with just a large taito logo.

I remember bidding on a Capcom one on YHJ months ago, but got outbidded unfortunately.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

I've never been to Japan (yet) nor do I smoke. I also have young kids, so keeping loose stuff on top of my control panels such as ashtrays is a no-no. I do own two of these though, but hey, I also have white pearl Seimitsu buttons, white button plugs and modded joysticks so I guess I'm not cool at all. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
Paulie
Opens wallet, moths fly out
eBay: retro-paulie
Initials: PSG

Post by Paulie »

As with everything each to their own.

I think they are a nice little curio. I don't have any but would really like a couple to keep my coins and keys in. Every time I see them for sale they are either too expensive or I've been too slow and have just missed out. I keep my coins in a little plastic pot that you see in some UK seaside arcades they are white with bells, fruit and coins printed round the outside, someone gave me about 1/2 a dozen of them as a joke years ago, they look **** but do the job for now.

I also want a nice little Sega Key chain when I see one, I have a lovely little official SNK Neo Geo one for my SC19-4 that Mrs P bought me for xmas :D (if anyones after one then ninjascastle has them on ebay all the time)
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Mine get used by smokers infrequently, the rest of the time they're handy little pots/trays for change/keys/small items. They stack nicely and are pretty durable.

If you go back a few years we had a big to-do with a Japanese member who was actively involved in arcades in Japan who explained that 99.9% of them sold were stolen from the arcades. It was only recently we lifted the rule banning their sale on here because of this.

I've recently picked up one of the wire ashtray holders for my Pony Mk3. Turns out it's actually too big for an ashtray, but it does fit an arcade coin pot - fortunately I got one of these at the Replay show last year!
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

cools wrote:If you go back a few years we had a big to-do with a Japanese member who was actively involved in arcades in Japan who explained that 99.9% of them sold were stolen from the arcades. It was only recently we lifted the rule banning their sale on here because of this.
Interesting, and as I thought. I've seen quite a few people (on other boards) mention they tried to buy them and they were told by a manager they weren't for sale (duh). But good to know when they find that out they just lift them anyway. :?

It makes me wonder if there are locals that thieve them only to post them on YAJ for Westerners. Steal a few every month as not to look obvious, and flip them online for 20-30 dollars each (if not more), a nice little income and would certainly pay for your coinop yen every month.

I certainly wouldn't be posting pictures of them if I had any.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

Don't know why the arcades don't just have loads extra made and sell them cheaply/at cost. That could mostly destroy the market for highly-priced stolen ones.
ImageImageImageImage
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

idc wrote:Don't know why the arcades don't just have loads extra made and sell them cheaply/at cost. That could mostly destroy the market for highly-priced stolen ones.
Probably too smart for them. First time I was in Club Sega I looked around to see if there were Club Sega t-shirts for sale. :lol:

Thought they'd at least have a redemption prize desk with trinkets for sale.
rcaido
Please Continue...
Initials: rc

Post by rcaido »

Yeah i never got the whole ashtray thing...Also people stripping out the original art do a full body paint & replace w/ repo art.

When i buy a cab, the only thing i do is disinfect & clean it up as much as possible to avoid cancer & aids...I kind of like the wear & tear on cabs as it gives character.

Full restores are cool though, like when a cab is FUBAR & someone brings it back brand new is pretty amazing...
sven666
eBay: sven-666
Initials: JNX

Post by sven666 »

I have one from HEY!, only thing i ever stole and I dont even regret it.

maybe i could make a career as a masterthief? louvre next!!
Casey120
The Fluffer
eBay: Tappygielen
Initials: CVW

Post by Casey120 »

emphatic wrote:I also have white pearl Seimitsu buttons, white button plugs and modded joysticks so I guess I'm not cool at all. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Well your beard is to short to apply for the fundamental A.O. Taliban anyway .
Shouldn't ashtrays even if you get them for free and original stools refurbished with the wrong material be considered haraam :think:
matrigs
Please Continue...

Post by matrigs »

i was personally at taito headquarters and they didn't want to sell one, give it to me or anything with no effect. i asked at dozens of arcades if they could seel, give one or maybe just tell me where you can buy them. nothing still.

in the end snatched one from a taito game. one of the most stressful experiences of my live tbh and now everytime i see it, it doesn't really make me proud.

also i took it from a floor with cash-mashines which was probably with heightened security and cameras. i don't think this will ever matter in my live (even goind there again) but it was kind of sad to think that after i tried to show that those white-baka-gaijins aren't that bad for several weeks i decided to do something like this. i'm curious if those security guys still laugh their asses of thinking "look those white people are so poor they are actually stealing used ash-trays!"