MAME scanline/shadowmask simulation

Everything Emulator related
Lettuce

Re: MAME scanline/shadowmask simulation

Post by Lettuce »

Have any of you guys been playing around with the new HLSL option in the latest version of mame that introduces scanlines?? Also i might get myself one of those SLG3000 scanline generator devices they look the ****.........

http://www.arcadeforge.de/?page_id=745"
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I haven't tried it yet but it looks great. Just what mame needs. An overlay alone was never going to be enough to be honest.
cools wrote:Until we get high enough resolution LCDs to simulate a true CRT shadowmask...
It's funny, I was thinking about this the other day and how this is never going to happen. Just like in print, there's not much reason for detail to get any sharper beyond about 300dpi. But 300dpi just isn't enough to anywhere near simulate a true shadowmask. Over 300dpi is pretty much humanly indistinguishable for text, shapes and photos, but fine repeat patterns will still suffer visible moire type problems unless you go a hell of a lot higher. But we never will as it'll just never be worthwhile.

The best thing is to create an effect with the screens available today. They're already less than one factor away from 300dpi, so they're not going to suddenly get that much more capable. Overlays alone just aren't enough. We need help from dynamic luminous pixel effects (and stuff). :think:

HLSL looks excellent. :awe:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

It does, and it's vastly superior to what was achievable beforehand. My interest in MAME has waned significantly though so I really cannot be bothered playing around with it. Framerate judder/tearing/lag differences from running on a PCB are impossible to get away from.
Lettuce

Post by Lettuce »

pubjoe wrote:I haven't tried it yet but it looks great. Just what mame needs. An overlay alone was never going to be enough to be honest.
cools wrote:Until we get high enough resolution LCDs to simulate a true CRT shadowmask...
It's funny, I was thinking about this the other day and how this is never going to happen. Just like in print, there's not much reason for detail to get any sharper beyond about 300dpi. But 300dpi just isn't enough to anywhere near simulate a true shadowmask. Over 300dpi is pretty much humanly indistinguishable for text, shapes and photos, but fine repeat patterns will still suffer visible moire type problems unless you go a hell of a lot higher. But we never will as it'll just never be worthwhile.

The best thing is to create an effect with the screens available today. They're already less than one factor away from 300dpi, so they're not going to suddenly get that much more capable. Overlays alone just aren't enough. We need help from dynamic luminous pixel effects (and stuff). :think:

HLSL looks excellent. :awe:
Anyone have any settings to share for a decent HLSL setup??
cools wrote:It does, and it's vastly superior to what was achievable beforehand. My interest in MAME has waned significantly though so I really cannot be bothered playing around with it. Framerate judder/tearing/lag differences from running on a PCB are impossible to get away from.
Have you tried GroovyMame?, it address 99% of the problems you listed cools!
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

HLSL in action:

Nicked from Gardhul on this thread (where he also lists his settings, Lettuce).

Click for full size...

fagin

Post by fagin »

That filter setting is aweful. Apart from the pincushion / curvature / covergence (which I can't understand for the life of me why you would want to emulate), if my monitor looked that bad with the other settings I would smash it to bits!!!

IMO some people haven't got a clue what the video image should look like on a CRT.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Lettuce wrote:
cools wrote:It does, and it's vastly superior to what was achievable beforehand. My interest in MAME has waned significantly though so I really cannot be bothered playing around with it. Framerate judder/tearing/lag differences from running on a PCB are impossible to get away from.
Have you tried GroovyMame?, it address 99% of the problems you listed cools!
It's that 1% that is so significant :)
anarkhy
Please Continue...

Post by anarkhy »

fagin wrote:That filter setting is aweful. Apart from the pincushion / curvature / covergence (which I can't understand for the life of me why you would want to emulate), if my monitor looked that bad with the other settings I would smash it to bits!!!

IMO some people haven't got a clue what the video image should look like on a CRT.
that curvature was present on older low end arcade machines. yes they sucked at the time.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Graphics were designed for the monitors of the time though. Some games look terrible when a perfectly crisp display exposes all elements of artwork that previously were not visible - such as gradients created with a small palette, or single pixel lights which had a nice glowing effect on the old "low-end" CRTs, or pixel outlines that bleed into the colour next door. Graphic designers were very aware of the quirks of the displays that would display their artwork. Hence why I much prefer to play the old games on a CRT and I am all for the effort to emulate that on the better screens of today. Especially as CRTs are dying out quickly.

R-Type springs to mind as a clear example. Especially when the level 1 space station background fades in. It looks **** on a modern clear monitor.

On the other hand. A game like Street Fighter Alpha 3, even though it's still low res, with it's bold sprites, I personally really like the look of the graphics nude and unfiltered on a nice crisp modern screen.

...Plus there's always the nostalgia factor.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

ERm. Not quite sure why I suddenly decided to say all that earlier. :?
niconiconico
Please Continue...
Initials: AAA

Post by niconiconico »

Anyone knows what the f*** is going on with my display after enabling hlsl?

niconiconico
Please Continue...

Post by niconiconico »

And in waiting for an answer to the above, let me introduce the effect i am using, drawn with Paint and PicPick:

An example here: http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/11/20/39/11/image_14.jpg"

Due to a poor upload you can see some "fake" brown midlines, which are totally out of the real result, and i was unable to upload more screens (dunno why :?).

The effect is shown in 1920x1080, with brightness at 0.900 and contrast at 1.000, and is attached in this post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lettuce

Post by Lettuce »

Im unable to see the attached file niconiconico??
niconiconico
Please Continue...

Post by niconiconico »

The smaaaaaaaaaaaaaall dot you see, is the image (but when you zoom into it you will see it clearly) :)

Right click on it > view image > right click > save as.
Beaps

Post by Beaps »

What if you have an LCD screen that you have rotated, any ideas of what I could use for that?
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Post by davewellington »

What's the issue?
all your wiki pages belong to me
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

To get scanlines? The same thing you'd use if your LCD wasn't rotated.
Beaps

Post by Beaps »

It don't look quite right tho imo
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Post by davewellington »

err, so what's the issue? Are you using HLSL?
all your wiki pages belong to me
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

Beaps wrote:It don't look quite right tho imo
You know scanlines rotate too when you rotate the monitor, right?