Dreamcast to Arcade monitor

For monitor related issues
endoe
Please Continue...
Dreamcast to Arcade monitor

Post by endoe »

Hi people, today I put the chassis onto the monitor. I want to connect a Dreamcast to the Arcade monitor. Now I have the VGA box, where you cut wire 6. Now I guess Im going to need a VGA breakout cable/ board to connect the monitor cable to the VGA connector, so I can then connect the Dreamcast to it. So I was hoping you guys could help me. With the monitor, Ive got a connector on it which comes out to a Red Green Blue White Black wires, where will these wires go in regards to the VGA breakout cable? It's a Jomac 15/24 chassis that Ill be connecting the breakout board to. Please help me out, Im so close to finally getting this thing to work.Thanks.
davewellington
The Librarian
Initials: DAV

Re: Dreamcast to Arcade monitor

Post by davewellington »

Doesn't the VGA box output 31khz, and your chassis is 15/24? Correct me if i'm wrong, but it sounds like you need an Ultracade.
all your wiki pages belong to me
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Yes, but if you cut the correct wire / remove the right pin it will output 15khz

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_consol ... #dc2arcade"
davewellington
The Librarian

Post by davewellington »

Oh, awesome :D
endoe
Please Continue...

Post by endoe »

Yeah, you remove pin/ wire 6 on the VGA box.
endoe
Please Continue...

Post by endoe »

Ok, so the monitors pinot is Red , Green , Blue , Black (Gnd) and White ( Composite Horizontal Sync ), so which pins to I add these wires to?! Thanks for the help.
endoe
Please Continue...
VGA connector on Arcade monitor help.

Post by endoe »

Hi everyone, hoping someone here can help out.I plan on connecting my Arcade monitor to a Dreamcast.Well there's a VGA box hack which appears to be quite simple and work for people.The problem I was hoping to get help on is connecting the Arcade monitor to a VGA connector. Well the pin-out for my monitor is Red, Green, Blue, White, ?Black on the cable that connects which represents Red Green Blue, Composite Sync and Ground. Now which pins on a VGA connector will they go to? Everyone speaks of the Dreamcast VGA box hack, but not this side of the equation.Can someone please help me out with this.

Pin Signal
1 Red Video
2 Green Video
3 Blue Video
4 Monitor ID - Bit 2
5 Ground
6 Red Ground
7 Green Ground
8 Blue Ground
9 [KEY]
10 Sync Ground
11 Monitor ID - Bit 1
12 Monitor ID - Bit 0
13 Horizontal Sync
14 Vertical Sync
15 N/C (Reserved)

Thats a VGA connector pinout.
So maybe it's
Red-pin1
Green-pin2
Blue-pin 3
White-?
Black-?
Last edited by endoe on November 10th, 2011, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
davewellington
The Librarian

Post by davewellington »

Merged, no need for another topic. You just need the VGA pinout right?

endoe
Please Continue...

Post by endoe »

Well, matching up the VGA connector to the Arcade monitor.
So the monitor I have has Red Green Blue Composite sync Ground.

Red-pin1
Green-pin 2
Blue-pin 3
White/Composite sync-pin 13
Ground-pin 10

At this point I believe what I've posted is right, but would really appreciate if someone could confirm or correct it.
davewellington
The Librarian

Post by davewellington »

endoe wrote:Well, matching up the VGA connector to the Arcade monitor.
So the monitor I have has Red Green Blue Composite sync Ground.

Red-pin1
Green-pin 2
Blue-pin 3
White/Composite sync-pin 13
Ground-pin 10

At this point I believe what I've posted is right, but would really appreciate if someone could confirm or correct it.
Looks like you got sorted out at aussiearcade, but for future reference, The above, but bridge all the GND pins, and tie H+V Sync together and connect to Composite sync. This isn't the proper way of combining syncs (an XOR gate should be used) but apparently it works well enough.
endoe
Please Continue...

Post by endoe »

Red-pin-1
Green-pin- 2
Blue-pin- 3
White/Composite sync-pin- 13,15
Ground-pin -5,6,7,8,10

Are you going off the answer I got on aussie arcade, becasue he mentioned the just to be sure he wired all the grounds, I'm just wanting to get this right the first time.

Heres the Answer I got on AussieArcade.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You need to tie the composite sync wire to -both- the horizontal -and- the vertical sync pins though. So basically bridge pin 13 and 14, and connect the wire to both. Other then that that's correct.
Also I wired all the ground pins together to the ground wire just to be on the safe side. (It's also connected to the ground of the PC powersupply through the switcher/distributor pcb I made.) This is probably overkill for a home build though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, before I go ahead and do this, perhaps theres another way I could go about this? Does anyone have any suggestions, perhaps you know of a pre-made cable I could buy, another way to connect the DC VGA Box to the RGBCSG wires on the connector.Thanks
Last edited by endoe on November 11th, 2011, 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
davewellington
The Librarian

Post by davewellington »

endoe wrote: Are you going off the answer I got on aussie arcade, becasue he mentioned the just to be sure he wired all the grounds, I'm just wanting to get this right the first time.
Mostly, but it's also what I would do :) I haven't personally done this hack but it sounds accurate to what you want.
Does that seem right to you Dave? Thanks for the help.Perhaps theres a better way to do this? I want to be able to connect the VGA box to the Arcade Monitor, is there something I can buy, which people know works, I want it to be clean so dont really want to wire up Jamma and get a Jamma biscuit and solder the 5 wires to that. Surely someone has done this exact thing that can helpout, just to confirm what they did. Maybe buy one of Ultimarcs adapters they use to allow there VGA card to plug into the monitor, are those thing just plugs, with no other circuitry which would stuff up the picture from the Dreamcast VGA hack.
Not sure, hopefully someone can help you out with a "all in 1" solution.
endoe
Please Continue...

Post by endoe »

Yeah, I'm just a bit nervous, because I haven't done it before.I'm just going to do it this way unless i can get another solution, seems the best to me.I don't like the idea of getting the 1 wire to connect to two spots, but I'll just crimp 2 wires to the 1.I just want it to be nice and clean.I cant wait till the monitors done, its been a real drag and I hate working anywhere near it, but Im soooo close now. CVS 2 here we come.....hopefully :P