The Term "Candy Cab"

Coin-operated games and arcades.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Re: The Term "Candy Cab"

Post by Chi »

MmSadda wrote:....and "pop" and "soda" are equally good words for it, just depends on what part of the country you're in.
If you asked for "soda" here, you'd get a very tasteless fizzy water (that some philistines ruin a perfectly good whisky with)!

Personally, I think the term "Japanese-style cabinet" (in the context of home multi-purpose cabs) works fine for me, despite acknowledging the role of the Neo Candies in historical terms. Though if I'm referring to cabs, 90% of the time I'm talking about a specific cab so will straight out say "Egret II" etc.

Shooter is too overloaded a term nowadays - like it or not, in many places it channels the image of lightgun shooters too much. Shmup is'nt too far off how I say my preferred term for the genre: Shoot-em-up (when saying it quite fast, as I tend to). The term I really despise is STG (as with any random initialisms that don't really represent real words - c'mon, ShooTing Game? Do me a favour - plug me into a Sega!)
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

It's always be a shoot 'em up to me. A shooter is something used to kill people.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

I've always said "shoot 'em up" when speaking, or when describing the type, "vertical shooter" or "horizontal shooter". "Beat 'em up" is a term I also use, but when being more specific I refer to a "fighter" for SF2 style and a "scrolling fighter" for Final Fight style.

Games involving the use of a light gun I've referred to simply as "gun games". Maybe "gunner" would also be appropriate. :think:

As for cabinets, I never use terms like "woody" or "candy" to describe them. Mostly I just refer to them by their particular model, i.e. Silverline, Astro City, Megalo, otherwise I tend to refer to them either as "old style" or "retro" and "new style" or "Japanese".

But really, who gives a ****? :? Generally, within the context of a conversation, whatever terms people seem to favour, there's very rarely any doubt as to what is meant. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

MmSadda wrote: Don't tell me you're one of those people that will refer to any soda as a "coke" i.e. any orange soda is "orange coke"

....and "pop" and "soda" are equally good words for it, just depends on what part of the country you're in.
No. Coke and soda are interchangeable for the basic product and the basic diet variety only. Orange soda can never be called coke. Neither can ginger ale, or Sprite, or anything else.
idc wrote: But really, who gives a ****? :? Generally, within the context of a conversation, whatever terms people seem to favour, there's very rarely any doubt as to what is meant. :)
Agreed, I think I said this in a different way earlier in the thread. As long as we know what we're talking about, then I don't see the problem calling these cabs/games whatever you want.
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

idc wrote:
But really, who gives a ****? :? Generally, within the context of a conversation, whatever terms people seem to favour, there's very rarely any doubt as to what is meant. :)
Very succinctly put Mr C. I couldn't agree more!

Cheers,

Ralph.
bobbyconover
Please Continue...

Post by bobbyconover »

In 1997 or so a local collector here in Seattle imported a container full of all the classic 25" cabs -- Aero City, Capcom Q-Sound, Neos, I believe one called a DOMY, and some others. He coined the term "sit-at" and sold quite a few of them around here as such. I don't remember exact numbers but he must have sold at least 50 of them. Everyone called them sit-at cabs, and the term spread around on rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (basically the only arcade collecting forum at the time) and through word of mouth.

I'm not sure how "Candy Cab" took over. It seemed like it happened in about 2003 or so, maybe a little earlier, and it kinda annoyed me considering there is a cabinet actually called "Candy," making it hard to tell whether people were referring to that specific cab or just the style. People still say "sit-at" from time to time, but usually only old-school folks from RGVAC. I still prefer it over "Candy"!
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

FWIW, I'm a "Candy" man myself - just don't say that three times :shock:

I must concede though that calling an Aero a "Candy" doesn't feel quite right :/

:awe:

Cheers,

Ralph.
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

I'm sure others have alluded to it, but I'm fairly certain that the term "Candy Cab" was popularized and caught on when the Tao brothers (who used to run Arcade Infinity) started importing Japanese cabs to the States.

Most of them were Neo Candies.

Neo Candy.

Candy.
undamned
Please Continue...
eBay: undamned
Initials: UND

Post by undamned »

bobbyconover wrote:In 1997 or so a local collector here in Seattle imported a container full of all the classic 25" cabs -- Aero City, Capcom Q-Sound, Neos, I believe one called a DOMY, and some others. He coined the term "sit-at" and sold quite a few of them around here as such. I don't remember exact numbers but he must have sold at least 50 of them. Everyone called them sit-at cabs, and the term spread around on rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (basically the only arcade collecting forum at the time) and through word of mouth.

I'm not sure how "Candy Cab" took over. It seemed like it happened in about 2003 or so, maybe a little earlier, and it kinda annoyed me considering there is a cabinet actually called "Candy," making it hard to tell whether people were referring to that specific cab or just the style. People still say "sit-at" from time to time, but usually only old-school folks from RGVAC. I still prefer it over "Candy"!
How nice it is to be understood! :D
-ud
"Sin and death's got the whole world gettin' illa, but I praise God for the Blood Spilla."
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

I registered @candycabs on twitter ages ago but never used it. Thanks to the BBC and their new taxi sitcom I have over 800 followers and I've never tweeted :lol:
The Enigmatic Form
Please Continue...

Post by The Enigmatic Form »

Sell the account for ONE MILLION DOLLARS.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

Make it look official and start posting ****.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

SuperPang wrote:Make it look official and start posting ****.
Yes. :awe:
ImageImageImageImage