Makvision in a Blast CIty?

For monitor related issues
clutch
Please Continue...

Makvision in a Blast CIty?

Post by clutch »

Anybody ever swap out one of their monitors with one of these? Just wondered what kinds of headaches would be involved besides the bezel.

http://www.happcontrols.com/monitors/49271500.htm"
Korszca
Assistant Librarian
Re: Makvision in a Blast CIty?

Post by Korszca »

I haven't done it myself, but AFAIK you can just drop it in. Might need a new chassis, but I don't think so. The bezel thing too, if that's important to you.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

I don't have a Blast City, but I can tell you that the Makvision 29" is a pure flat monitor (like the Sanwa PFX), and is in fact a (barely) re-badged Wei-Ya C3129D
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
goatboy
eBay: henknieborg

Post by goatboy »

Possibly an LG tube with analog rodotron chassis. Would suite me. :) Think Craig from giz10p.co.uk had a few of these. Anyway, Think you need to replace the original metal frame with the Sega one to have it fit inside properly. If you can live with a small gap between the bezel and screen that is. Probably need to fit another power connector or use an adapter but that's peanuts.

What happened to the original tube?
clutch
Please Continue...

Post by clutch »

Just getting crazy ideas about getting a backup for when my original goes tits up. :crazy:
Korszca
Assistant Librarian

Post by Korszca »

clutch wrote:Just getting crazy ideas about getting a backup for when my original goes tits up. :crazy:
Don't say that! You'll jinx yourself.
clutch
Please Continue...

Post by clutch »

Lol! Yeah, I'm so negative. But I prefer the term 'realistic'. Hopefully I have a lot more years left on the Nanao.
clutch
Please Continue...

Post by clutch »

Wife may actually be willing to get this for my birthday. I couldn't do that to her. Could I? There has to be someplace to get this cheaper than Happ...

Edit: Don't know how I missed this thread. http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14588" Think I'll wait.
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

Did we ever determine whether or not the Makvision would fit in a Blast City?

If it does, I'm going to order it tomorrow... but I'd like to know for sure (or at least pretty damn sure) before I drop $500 on this.

The tech sheet on Happ's site also supports the idea that the Makvision is a Wei-Ya 3129D.

http://suzohapp.com/service_center/pdf/ ... 0schem.pdf"
M3129DB1-72

Thanks!
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

500? yeesh, spend the coin on another cab, less of a headache. My New Astro was 400 with a perfect nanao in it. I would never ship a monitor... drive and get it, less worry. If you're spending that coin, go and get it. If it's too far don't buy it. Better yet buy a Bass Fishing cab and gut it for the monitor, they go way cheaper than 500.

Keep the cab with the busted monitor for backup parts, or part it out. Cabs come and go, no need to hold onto one unless it's a really rare cab. Blasts definitely are a dime a dozen these days. I see them for sale weekly. More keep getting brought over every year it seems. Japan won't have any left someday. :mrgreen:
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

Yeah, you're probably right. I just hate the idea of gutting/parting out what is otherwise a perfectly good Blast City. It actually used to be a Bass Fishing Cab. LOL.

I haven't seen any other Bass Fishing cabs for sale recently, certainly none locally... and certainly for nowhere near $500. Seems that most resellers know what these things are worth and ask for around $800 for them in working condition.

I would go pick the monitor up, but they ship from Happ's warehouse in Illinois, and that's clear across the country.

Blech. Now I'm second-guessing myself. I guess I'll just part it out or try to sell it as-is...

Thanks for the advice!
clutch
Please Continue...

Post by clutch »

Blasts are a dime a dozen, eh? Find some then. Then find some that don't have crazy burn-in and look like a rat hasn't **** in the CP.
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

There was a man that was sheltering under a tree during a storm. When a passer-by asked him what he would do when the tree he was under was soaked and no longer offered protection he said "that's ok, I'll just find another tree nearby."

Cabs come and go; those with good monitors are much rarer, though.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
kamex

Post by kamex »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaX1jkAMzWc"

Here's somebody on YT who did it, seems like drilling new holes was necessary to mount it.

I'm also possibly interested in getting one as my MS-2930 tube is complete ****. With my luck, though, the Makvision would probably get destroyed in shipping or die in less than a year.

And yeah, good luck finding a good condition MS-2931.... Or if you can find one, by itself OR in a cab, let me know, as I'd love one :mrgreen:
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

clutch wrote:Blasts are a dime a dozen, eh? Find some then. Then find some that don't have crazy burn-in and look like a rat hasn't **** in the CP.
Stop buying your cabs off ebay. Bumpkin idiots list beat to hell blast city/astro cabs and expect to get 800$, it's comedy. Because those guys bought it from some scamming re-seller like Kingsley (coinopstore on ebay) who did the same thing to them. It's a vicious cycle.

If you think candy cabs in the US are some rare unicorn you're dead wrong. Every time I felt pressured to buy something because I thought I wouldn't see it again for a long time, another one popped up weeks/months later for LESS. Cabs also change hands so fast these days, because most people are fly-by-night enthusiasts.

I'd say trying to find a mint Pacman cab is harder these days.

P.S. craigslist is your friend for candys. Every cab I have ever owned I got off the list. don't be afraid to road trip, and I don't see any reason why you can't buy a cab whenever you want. If you can't fit it in your cab buy a hitch and a cheap lawn care trailer.

I personally think blast cities are overrated, they are the flavor of the moment because most people buy them for an easy hook up to their 360/mame. But there are easier and cheaper ways (not to mention safer, someone on this very forum even cooked their monitor playing with mame) to do that these days on any old 15k monitor that give better results IMO. This is funny to me because most people don't even want a blast to get into noami or JVS, because they're too expensive (and I agree).
Yeah, you're probably right. I just hate the idea of gutting/parting out what is otherwise a perfectly good Blast City. It actually used to be a Bass Fishing Cab. LOL.

I haven't seen any other Bass Fishing cabs for sale recently, certainly none locally... and certainly for nowhere near $500. Seems that most resellers know what these things are worth and ask for around $800 for them in working condition.
Road trip it, man. Those fishing blast cities are always for sale down in Florida (for obvious reasons), one just went for under 500$ a couple hours near me but I'm broke and didn't want to replace everything to get it stock. I've seen them go in auctions for under 250. They were also sold in the US by Sega, I know a guy in Texas that has like 6 of them right now and considers them junk.

I would say keep your empty cab, wait till an opportunity comes up and road trip it. Put the parts (monitor) in your cab and sell the rest of the parts online to get your money back. Smarter than ordering a new monitor that doesn't even fit the bezel...
rectumrob
Please Continue...
Initials: GIB

Post by rectumrob »

NASguy: PM sent.
clutch
Please Continue...

Post by clutch »

Sounds like someone has some Blast City envy. :lol:
kazuo

Post by kazuo »

I hear you, NASguy. I'm just the type who doesn't like junking things that can be re-used or resurrected, and dremeling the back of the bezel and drilling four holes in the bracket isn't a terribly huge deal to me. It's cake compared to what I normally do on a daily basis. ;)

That said, I've decided to see if I can sell the cab as-is (without the monitor), and if no one bites, I'll probably just part it out and junk the frame.

I'm over Blast Cities, so even if I could get another monitor locally, I don't think I want to bother. So sick of this thing. LOL.

PS - If you're reading this and looking for stuff for a Blast... please don't PM me at the moment asking for parts. I'm not going to have time to part it out for a while, and I'm still looking into selling it off as-is. Thanks!