360 ---> Cabinet: 4:3 display advice

PCB problems and fixes
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

360 ---> Cabinet: 4:3 display advice

Post by wonderbanana »

I have my 360 hooked in my cab (AWSD) via a VGA cable.

Console is set to display 480p in the settings., monitor in the cabinet is horizontal.

Of the games I've tried so far Rez displays in a letterboxed format and Deathsmiles has borders; I had thought they would be in 4:3 and fill the screen?

I know on most Cave games you can zoom/adjust the picture but on others you don't normally get that option.

Am I doing something wrong or is that basically as good as it gets?
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Re: 360 ---> Cabinet: 4:3 display advice

Post by emphatic »

DeathSmiles should be full screen, you have to zoom it though. Or are we talking DeathSmiles 2X? REZ might be 16:9 though, which will letterbox it on a 4:3 screen. :shifty:
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

16:9 will certainly letterbox, the FSD dash does the same
Andypc
eBay: Andyapc
Initials: APC

Post by Andypc »

If a game is displayed 16:9 letterbox, you can change the systems display settings to 16:9 and this will stretch it to full screen.
“You can have it any colour you want, so long as it’s black.” Henry Ford
Wanted:- Tehkan World Cup cab
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Andypc wrote:If a game is displayed 16:9 letterbox, you can change the systems display settings to 16:9 and this will stretch it to full screen.

At the expense of displaying the game at the wrong aspect ratio.

My advice:
leave it alone and don't try to play Otomedius in Gorgeous mode, which will certainly display too small.
I stream myself playing Otomedius when I get bored
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/otomedius" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johnbud
Please Continue...
Initials: ELF

Post by johnbud »

how small is this letter box ??? are we talkng small boxes, like an inch border ??? im assuming the monitor is 31k and 29"" the same size as a naomi.

that being the case, whats wrong with stretching it with the pots ???

cheers.

john bud
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Post by wonderbanana »

johnbud wrote:
that being the case, whats wrong with stretching it with the pots ???

For some titles that's actually not a bad idea. Never even occured to me. :palm:
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
Chi
Fire Extinguisher
Initials: CHI

Post by Chi »

Dandy_Sephy wrote:16:9 will certainly letterbox, the FSD dash does the same
Though with newer versions of Freestyle Dash you can change it to 4:3 in the options - I run it full screen on my cab.

DeathSmiles will definitely display in 4:3 in the arcade modes - not sure the Xbox 360 modes will, though.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with trying to stretch out aspect ratios to fill full screen if there isn't a 4:3 option, but then again bad aspect ratios is a pet hate of mine (used to hate going round my mums house and seeing her watching 4:3 broadcasts stretched out to fill out the 16:9 TV she had). If there's no 4:3 setting (some games automatically lettrebox if your system settings are 4:3, sadly) then I suffer the thick black lines.
"TO THE untrained eye Christian Cooper might have been stamping out a small fire " - The Times, 7th Feb, 2004
DandySephy
Please Continue...
Initials: SEP

Post by DandySephy »

Chi wrote:
Dandy_Sephy wrote:16:9 will certainly letterbox, the FSD dash does the same
Though with newer versions of Freestyle Dash you can change it to 4:3 in the options - I run it full screen on my cab.
I use the same console for my cab and a large amount of time on the tv, so that's not entirely practical. Although I have a spare hd so I guess I could stop being lazy and have a dedicated hd for the cab :awe: I have to use a flash drive for my profile anyway to use my slim
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

I've just done this myself as I use my 360 with my cab and TV.

I have 60GB MS HDD + 1TB external drive setup near my TV and then I have a 120GB MS HDD containing all the shmups and cab friendly games.

That way I don't have to lug the external drive about when moving the 360.

I just installed FSD 2.0 RC 2.1 and Dashlaunch 2.11 on the 120GB HDD but for some reason only two games show up in FSD, even after setting the paths :palm: For the moment I have setup Dashlaunch to boot to xexmenu where they all show up. :?

It would be nice if there was a version of FSD or similar where you could change the rotation/layout of the dash on the fly for when you are running on a hori or vert monitor 8-)