"Indie Games". What are your favourites?

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
"Indie Games". What are your favourites?

Post by pubjoe »

Anyone who says that that the glorious days of bedroom/small-team game creation are dead is hugely mistaken. With Steam, App store and XBLA (etc), there is a huge market for quirky little indie games. The games are cheap so piracy is a smaller issue than usual. Some of the developers of the better games are having a lot of success. It's a very good time indeed for us fans of gameplay.

I have only played a few. I've just been playing the demo of VVVVVV on Steam, which is a speedy little C64-style game and a lot of fun (the full game is £3.99 at the moment)

http://thelettervsixtim.es/"

I also got the bargain "indie pack" from steam a while ago which includes the excellent World of Goo as well as Machinarium, Galcon Fusion, And Yet it Moves and Osmos.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Also, Limbo looks great (I'm not sure if I like the sound of the "no death penalty > no frustration" aspect though), but it's available exclusively to XBLA :(

Oh, I almost forgot Braid. I haven't tried this yet but it looks quite special.

I've only mentioned a few. What are some good indie games that I'm missing out on? ...Especially on steam.
megalomaniac
Please Continue...
eBay: drmegalomaniac

Re: "Indie Games". What are your favourites?

Post by megalomaniac »

Machinarium is indeed excellent.
"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now!"
Twitter | Blog
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Yes, I love the graphical style of Machinarium. I think if metal slug games were ever redrawn in HD, something similar to this cross-hatched rendering would look good.

I need to play that more though as I've only really watched a bit of it. My boy was playing it a little while ago. There's also a small flash game doing the rounds called 'little wheel' that he liked that had a really nice simple style.
Aypok
Please Continue...
eBay: aypok
Initials: AYP

Post by Aypok »

Of the games mentioned in the original post, the only one I've tried (and indeed bought - mainly to thank them for making a Linux version!) is World Of Goo, which was well worth the price (I forget how much it was at the time - maybe £10 or £14 or something). I've heard a lot of positive things about VVVVVV, so would like to try it at some point.

A co-worker has been talking a lot about Dwarf Fortress, which looks and sounds amazing - although it apparently has a very steep learning curve. I've also just found out (well, last weekend) about a similar-themed game called Mine Craft. I'm hoping to give that a go shortly.

I do like going through the indie games section of XBL and trying out as many demos as I can. I've found (and subsequently purchased) a small number of great indie games from there - although most games do suck. Hamster Physics is the one (of the good ones) which springs to mind. It's not an original concept, but it's fun and worth the 80 MS Points it cost. There's another one, too... 8bit style; neon blue with a cat... Pixel something. Highly recommended platformer.

There are loads of indie games on the Android Marketplace, too (although you need an Android device to get at them). Again, most are crap, but some are good enough to make me want to give them money. Examples: Blow Up (puzzle), Grand Prix Live (3D racing), Sky Force (great shmup), Sky Force Reloaded (sequel to the former game), ろくしゅーと (search for "danmaku" - great bullet-pattern-avoiding tests) and Word Drop (for those who like word games). All one pound each (or less).

I assume there are also quite a few on the iPhone, too.

Do web-based indie games count? Stuff like Urban Dead, I mean. Great fun. :)
Violator and subject to severe penalties and will be prosecutedt to the full extent of the jam

<kernow> I am indeed a happy mother ****
gundarN
Officially Special
Initials: guN

Post by gundarN »

This is quite interesting in a nerdy shooter kind of way:
http://xenofighters.wikia.com/wiki/Xeno_Fighters_R_Wiki

It'll be even better when it's finished.
gundarN
Officially Special

Post by gundarN »

Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Angrybirds :awe:
theevilfunkster
Keeps Lordstar on a leash

Post by theevilfunkster »

I want to try Angrybirds but Sony Ericsson just delayed their Android update for another month for my phone :problem:

For PC my current favourites are Canabalt, I Ganna Be the Guy and of course Cave Story. I hear Good things about Genetos but haven't got round to booting it up. There's some great stuff on Xbox Indie Games like Pixel, Jump, Platformance, Leave Home, Apple Jack and a ton more.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Pete wrote:Angrybirds :awe:

+1..
Wisepass

Post by Wisepass »

Got Limbo, its pretty cool, very atmospheric they don't reuse any of their concepts in terms of puzzle making or anything either which is good to see. However that means its kinda ova a little too soon, but I never get enough time to play through games properly these days anyway so I liked it.

Braid is also really cool, it feels artsy and somehow very old-skool with all of its simple mechanics....that said at times it can be mind-numbingly difficult to figure out its puzzles. It makes me want to throw my xbox out the window :wtf: still not completed it yet
gundarN
Officially Special

Post by gundarN »

Does Bejewelled Twist count?
And most of PopCaps other games too.
theevilfunkster
Keeps Lordstar on a leash

Post by theevilfunkster »

If it does then Bejewled Blitz does too, good times battling against my mate on that one at work.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Thanks for all the recommendations. I think they all count, none of the games are truly independent anyway if they're giving a publisher like Microsoft exclusive distribution rights (such as limbo). It's a **** genre, just like in music, where I think the term 'indie' now means 'bands that don't shave regularly'.

I played through the whole demo (all 2 levels) of vvvvvv and I think I will buy the full game. I didn't buy it straight away as I'm feeling a bit tight about the £3.99 price being a quid more than I expected. To be honest though, if the whole game is as fun as the demo levels, it's well worth, erm, many quids.

Angry Birds. I bought this on the iphone for 59p after my mate was banging on about it. I've played about 5 or 6 levels. ...'Salright [shrug].
Wisepass wrote:Got Limbo, its pretty cool, very atmospheric they don't reuse any of their concepts in terms of puzzle making or anything either which is good to see. However that means its kinda ova a little too soon, but I never get enough time to play through games properly these days anyway so I liked it.
I agree. "Short", to me, is one of the best sounding complaints about limbo. I've often thought that developers should not be afraid to put all their best into a two hour long game as opposed to dragging it out conservatively. What's best, a ten minute awesome firework display or an hour of dribbled moderation? Long games have their place, but for certain styles of game, I don't see the harm in completing them in about the same amount of time that it takes to watch a film. At least then you could replay a game without feeling like you're completely wasting a day of your life.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I've just remembered a few freeware PC shmups that are several years old now (and all kinda similarly styled). Tumiki Fighter, warning forever and .... ahh I dunno anymore, they all look the same on google. Here's a link to the top ten (according to gamesradar) free shmups instead:

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/f/the-10-b ... 9592437065"

Tumiki Fighter (volume is LOUD but it's the only one I could find that didn't dub the video with **** music):

Also, didn't every extend start out as a free indie game? Or am I getting it confused with one of the above?

Also, I remember reading about a game that ripped off warioware's idea, except it used a bunch of 4 second gameplay sections from classic (ripped off) arcade games. It sounded great. I think it may have involved the use of mame, can't remember, and it's more of a fangame than an indie game. But if anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you tell me what it's called, as I can't find it?
Bingo83
Please Continue...
Initials: KRS

Post by Bingo83 »

Limbo and Braid on XBLA.

Also Cave Story which seems to be ported to lots of platforms is well worth a play.
Check out my SoundCloud and my profile at House-Mixes for my latest DJ Mixes
Shady994
Please Continue...
eBay: lmstolton
Initials: SDY

Post by Shady994 »

I thought Limbo was just about right length-wise. It is creepy and atmospheric, but dragging it out longer would have made it monotonous. Excellent puzzles and skill based challenges. Braid was also good, longer than Limbo but has a deeper play mechanic which gets extended as you go on. Took me ages to complete, because it does get very hard nearer the end. :awe:

Not sure if it's 'indie' but Defense Grid is a game I've been enjoying on XBLA. You set up tower defenses and then watch as the level plays itself out.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

GeoDefense Swarm
Zombie Shock
Orbital

All on iPhone
pogfanatic
Please Continue...
Initials: SIK

Post by pogfanatic »

Beat Hazard is really fun. If your in the mood to listen to some of your music and play a geometry wars type shooter it's good times.
Aypok
Please Continue...
eBay: aypok
Initials: AYP

Post by Aypok »

pogfanatic wrote:Beat Hazard is really fun. If your in the mood to listen to some of your music and play a geometry wars type shooter it's good times.
Agreed. I downloaded the demo and it was quite fun. Not sure how much the music actually affected anything, but I had a few minutes of fun before uninstalling it. :)

Bought Minecraft earlier today, only to remember that my computer doesn't like doing 3D (drivers problem). I'll try it at the office tomorrow. :)
Violator and subject to severe penalties and will be prosecutedt to the full extent of the jam

<kernow> I am indeed a happy mother ****
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

I've played a few mindie games recently...

Windosill is really cool. It's a shame it's so short. My little boy annoyed me into paying for the full game on steam (for £2), but you only get an extra 5 screens on top of the demo. But anyway, what is there is really interesting. It's a 'find the key' game that involves experimenting with whatever you can see - You can click on everything. It's a strange and satisfying experience. Give it a fiddle if you have a spare ten minutes.

I looked into flixel after neoyagami mentioned it in the game creation thread and I tried a few of the free games. I really loved The black forest as I'm really interested in musical feedback like this. Also A pajarito's life is really sweet. Both of these games are quite forlorn but beautiful. The music really makes them what they are. They're only mini though so don't expect much more than a nice little 10 minutes.

Image Image