Ever gotten a highly anticipated game and been disappointed?

Coin-operated games and arcades.
MmSadda
Banned
Initials: CDF

Ever gotten a highly anticipated game and been disappointed?

Post by MmSadda »

Has this ever happened to you?

I LOVE ESPGaluda, so when I had a chance to pick up Ra.De on the cheap, I was ALL over it, and so hyped for it to get here! After it arrived, and getting it to fit in my JAMMA harness, I played a few rounds, and thought "okay, this is decent." I figured it'd grab me more with time. I've played probably a dozen credits a day at bare minimum since I got it, and still feel underwhelmed, and don't feel like it's grabbing my attention any more than it did right off the bat....

So I guess I kinda wanted to bitch about it. Also want to hear your guys' stories.

What have you gotten that you anticipated, only to feel let down by it?
-Collin

Check out my arcade sales thread here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Re: Ever gotten a highly anticipated game and been disappoin

Post by Devil Soundwave »

Every Halo game since the first one. :)
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

MmSadda wrote:Has this ever happened to you?

I LOVE ESPGaluda, so when I had a chance to pick up Ra.De on the cheap, I was ALL over it, and so hyped for it to get here! After it arrived, and getting it to fit in my JAMMA harness, I played a few rounds, and thought "okay, this is decent." I figured it'd grab me more with time. I've played probably a dozen credits a day at bare minimum since I got it, and still feel underwhelmed, and don't feel like it's grabbing my attention any more than it did right off the bat....
I had the EXACT same feeling about ESP.Ra.De. when I'd been playing ESPGALUDA like crazy. You just need to know that the hitbox is right behind the head, and that you score by powering up a bit, then shoot a big enemy with B button (make sure all those blobs make contact) then kill it right after with A for an awesome 16x multiplier that you then use to chain enemies close by. You can also cancel enemy bullets by blowing up stuff as you stand near the bullets and what you're blowing up. This makes the game much more fun. If you think the game is too hard, just hold down buttons A+B for full auto and quite a bit of slowdown.

My latest buy that I felt this about is DeathSmiles 2X for the 360. :evil:
MmSadda
Banned

Post by MmSadda »

emphatic wrote:I had the EXACT same feeling about ESP.Ra.De. when I'd been playing ESPGALUDA like crazy. You just need to know that the hitbox is right behind the head, and that you score by powering up a bit, then shoot a big enemy with B button (make sure all those blobs make contact) then kill it right after with A for an awesome 16x multiplier that you then use to chain enemies close by. You can also cancel enemy bullets by blowing up stuff as you stand near the bullets and what you're blowing up. This makes the game much more fun. If you think the game is too hard, just hold down buttons A+B for full auto and quite a bit of slowdown.

My latest buy that I felt this about is DeathSmiles 2X for the 360. :evil:
Well, glad I'm not the only one. Did you warm up to the game at all with time?

I wasn't really figuring out the scoring system beyond the fact that I could alternate shots to get the multiplier up, but I couldn't really figure out exactly how that all functioned, so your tips there will help I'm sure. Still not sure I'll like it as much as Galuda, though; they're very different, but I'm pretty sure Galuda is shmup perfection.

As for DS 2X, I've heard Deathsmiles 2 is just pretty bad in general - is that true?
kernow wrote:I'm not the biggest fan either, I did tell you!
Yeah. Dude I really think I'm becoming as picky and jaded about games as you are.

In fact, I think I may BECOME you.

What's something that actually has held your attention for a respectable amount of time recently?
-Collin

Check out my arcade sales thread here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

MmSadda wrote:Well, glad I'm not the only one. Did you warm up to the game at all with time?

I wasn't really figuring out the scoring system beyond the fact that I could alternate shots to get the multiplier up, but I couldn't really figure out exactly how that all functioned, so your tips there will help I'm sure.
I really love ESP Ra.De. once I got to understand the scoring.

It's more like Ketsui than ESPGALUDA though;
ESP Ra.De. =Point blank with B shot -> keep killing stuff with A for points.
Ketsui = Point blank with C shot -> keep killing stuff with A for points.

:awe:
MmSadda wrote:Still not sure I'll like it as much as Galuda, though; they're very different, but I'm pretty sure Galuda is shmup perfection.
Nah, Ketsui is shmup perfection, ESPGALUDA is in a league of it's own though. It's so timing based,it's more of a mix of shmup and a puzzle game than a pure shmup.
MmSadda
Banned

Post by MmSadda »

Man, I actually liked Ketsui quite a bit when I went back and played it again. Maybe I need to put this aside for two months, then come back to it. ;)
-Collin

Bay78
Please Continue...
eBay: bay_78
Initials: Bay

Post by Bay78 »

For me I had heard all the HYPE on Garou Mark of the Wolves as "THE BEST SNK FIGHTER EVER" and when I got it and played it I was like Meh. Its o.k actually its not even o.k. Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 was a MUCH better game. Thats the one that comes to mind for me.
My Feedback 100%

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/itrader.php?u=33251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ebay = bay_78 100%
Bay78
Please Continue...
eBay: bay_78
Initials: Bay

Post by Bay78 »

On the flip side of things. I got Espgaluda II on 360 knowing nothing about it other then it was one of the 2 Cave games that were region free. I was expecting was a good game. What I got was the BEST Shmup I’ve ever played. THIS GAME RULES! Music is important in a game to me and this has a FANTASTIC soundtrack in every aspect. I’m VERY satisfied with Espgaluda II , now to either save for the PCB version or get my 360 into my cab STAT!
My Feedback 100%

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/itrader.php?u=33251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ebay = bay_78 100%
AeroCityMayor
Previously alien_mame
eBay: air_fortless
Initials: ACM

Post by AeroCityMayor »

Suchie Pai III :cry: :cry: :cry:
MmSadda
Banned

Post by MmSadda »

Bay, I can TOTALLY understand that - Garou: MOTW isn't something you jump in and enjoy right off the bat, and no game could live up to the hype surrounding it. I think it's a great game, myself, and it's one of my favorite fighters ever.... but no way could it live up to the hype that surrounds it.

Alienmame, what is suichi pai 3?
-Collin

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Tons of them.

All of the Metal Slugs
All of the DonPachis
Cosmo Gang The Video
Battle Bakraid
Most of the Toaplan stuff

As far as Garou is concerned, it's easily the best fighter on the Neo :awe:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Most of the hyped up by other people ones yeah.

SSF2X is overrated too.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

GTA4, meh :|
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Oh yes definitely. Although I still played 20 hours worth. And then stopped and sold it.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

I had always been a huge GTA fan. I remember when there was a demo for the first one on PS1 where you got something like 10 mins of game play. Me and some of my friends hammered the **** out of that before the full game came out.

I remember seeing/playing GTA3 at a friends house and I was blown away. So much so that I bought a PS2 the next day. Vice City was fantastic too, I really enjoyed that.

San Andreas was great in terms of the scale of the whole thing and the amount you could do. I played it a lot but never got really into it as I didn't really enjoy the 'in da hood' scenario.

I really looking forward to GTA4 due to all of the hype and the next gen console status. I even got it at midnight which was a first for me. Got it home, played a couple of hours, meh. Played a couple more hours over the next couple of days and then didn't touch it again for about six months when I had ran out of games and wanted something to play at work.

I didn't overly enjoy it though, it was more playing it for the sake of playing it. I cant really put a finger on it but just couldnt really seem to gel with it. I have the two other 'add on' stories for it but I probably haven't played more than two hours of each one.
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

Gawd :?

When i first stumbled across Esprade on my first trip to Japan I thought it was the most incredible game. Going back to it today I still think the same, it's wonderfully intense and feels great to set off X16 points everywhere. The Shinjuku subway stage is still one of the most exhilarating of any shmup I've played.

Games I've massively anticipated and been disappointed with:

Grand Theft Auto (all of them)
Killzone (both of them)
Lupin the 3rd on Super Famicom
Aero Fighters (series)
Kitchen Panic (ps1)
Just about every current gen release that's meant to be innovative and exciting that actually turns out to be the same old ****.
cools wrote:SSF2X is overrated too.
Oh, and The Newzealand Story really doesn't do much for me either. :awe:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

FrancoB wrote:GTA4, meh :|
Agreed. I can't get into Super Mario Galaxy 2 either. The restarts are really annoying and where are all screen filling pink and blue bullets at? :think:

P.S. Loved Esp.Ra.De and missing owning it now!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

GTAIV had all the fun sucked out of it. 3, VC, and SA had a sense of the absurd. IV took itself too seriously. Saints Row is better.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

cools wrote:GTAIV had all the fun sucked out of it. 3, VC, and SA had a sense of the absurd. IV took itself too seriously. Saints Row is better.
VC is the best one for me by a mile. Your bang on about IV. All the life has gone from it.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

SF2T then. Played the hell out of it when I was younger. Got it on PCB...

Fighters are awkward to judge single player. Practically zero longevity if you cane them.