Jaleco Pony II / III dimensions

Arcade cabinet hardware and accessories
Wonderdog

Jaleco Pony II / III dimensions

Post by Wonderdog »

Hi all,

I'm not having much luck finding an original, but I'd really like something of that formfactor for a slot in my games room.

Anyway, I'm mates with a cabinet maker who can make me a nice woody equivelent, provided I can give him some accurate drawings.

Now, the pencils and set square bit I can do with my eyes shut, but as I dont have immediate access to an original Pony to measure it up, I thought I'd beg the indulgence of some generous forum member who has one, in order to give me the rough dimensions that I can work from...

I've totally pinched the pic below and stuck some measurement arrows on it - if some kind soul could give me the lengths of the relevent bits A-I (in metric if possible) I'd be forever grateful.

Cheers,

#Wonderdog
Hitesh

Re: Jaleco Pony II / III dimensions

Post by Hitesh »

Everyone loves this cab..... maybe we should, as a group, get some cabs made in plastic based on these cabs.
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!
eBay: gargoyle1967

Post by gargoyle67 »

Can only imagine how much that would cost to get a firm to mould the plastic design for you :eh: .
The other problem is getting hold of a 25" crt monitor (mega hard to get) although you could prob design the casing around 26" 27" or even lcd.
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
Wonderdog

Post by Wonderdog »

Dug my drawing board and T-square out last night, and did the bulk of a design based on some guestimate measurements made from the pics I've got of the cab - if I can get those measurements I'll be able to make my tribute cabinet pretty much identical ergonomically.

In terms of monitors to go in it, as I'm planning an easily hand tateable setup I'll probably end up using an LCD - I've got a couple of 19" Dell ultrasharps which have built in 90° tating mechanisms I can hash up sat at home gathering dust (obviously I'd prefer something larger, but its tough to get a 4:3 / 5:4 display any bigger than 20" these days, and even those arent cheap).

I can resize the design of the shell to suit dependant on the monitor size and orientation I go with anyway, its not a major task.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Grab a 26" Nanao MS8. There are a lot of them in the UK & they aint that expensive.
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!

Post by gargoyle67 »

Nice Pentranic 26" new tubes here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT"

Or some used NANAO 26" crt's here:
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
neokidgeo
Please Continue...

Post by neokidgeo »

Pony 19 style would be nice :awe:
I'm gonna put things in you
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!

Post by gargoyle67 »

neokidgeo wrote:Pony 19 style would be nice :awe:
Nar Pony MK3\25 ftw ;)
Wonderdog

Post by Wonderdog »

Bumpity bump bump?

Cmon... one of you fine chaps must be able to give me some dimensions...
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!

Post by gargoyle67 »

Lazy **** on this forum :eh: Here you go:
A:970mm
B:105mm
C:603mm
D:410mm
E:610mm
F:320mm
G:217mm
H:600mm
I:140mm
May be a mil or 2 out as it's late and hard to count in between mils :crazy:
Hope it helps, Good luck with your project can't wait to see the results 8-)
penrhos
Panel Beater
eBay: ngpd002

Post by penrhos »

gargoyle67 wrote:Nice Pentranic 26" new tubes here:

No good - the pony-III has a A59 (23.5" tube)
2 * Vewlix Diamond Blacks,2 * Vewlix-F, 1 * Sega Rally 3, 1 * Video Pinball, 1 * DinoKing (JAMMA Converted).
Wonderdog

Post by Wonderdog »

gargoyle67 wrote:Lazy **** on this forum :eh: Here you go:
A:970mm
B:105mm
C:603mm
D:410mm
E:610mm
F:320mm
G:217mm
H:600mm
I:140mm
May be a mil or 2 out as it's late and hard to count in between mils :crazy:
Hope it helps, Good luck with your project can't wait to see the results 8-)
Your a scholar and a Gentleman!

Cabinet maker has asked from some semi-accurate sketches to see what I need doing so he can give me a quote - now that I have ze-measurements I can tidy up my plans...

Thanks again - will post up a scan/pics of the drawings when I'm done...
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!

Post by gargoyle67 »

penrhos wrote:
gargoyle67 wrote:Nice Pentranic 26" new tubes here:

No good - the pony-III has a A59 (23.5" tube)
Yes but he's building a repo one and can adjust to suit.
ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

Wonderdog wrote: Image
#Wonderdog
That's my cab! :o It's nice, isn't it? :D

I bought it from rklok last december: http://forum.nozomi.nl/viewtopic.php?t= ... ght=jaleco" Unfortunately it is in a temporary storage at the moment, so I can't take measurements for you.
Wonderdog

Post by Wonderdog »

Yeh, its a lovely cab... pity I can't find one of the bloody things!

What I like most is the small overall size, and the angle of the monitor.

For my planned repro build I'm looking at using 18mm (3/4") melamine faced MDF + 3/4" T-moulding - not sure on color etc yet, but it looks ace.

I'm looking at making it a 1P cab atm - I'm never likely to play it 2P with anyone, and it'll be setup for purely vert gaming.

#Wonderdog
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!

Post by gargoyle67 »

They are small cabs but bloody heavy, Thicker metal than your average candy 8-)
Wonderdog

Post by Wonderdog »

Did a load of line drawings, but though it would be nice to bang out some CAD... still needs work, but gives the cab maker an idea of what I'm looking for. I've flared out the side panels to stop it tilting forward, rather than using a floor plate like the Pony (doesnt translate well in wood). Still need to do some work on the area where the CP meets the monitor bezel.

I'm looking at making the monitor bezel panel 50cmx50cm, and this rotatable to switch from vert to horizontal if the whim takes me - 50cm is a bit narrower than the pony, but as I dont have to fit a big crt or 2 player panel in, I can afford to slim things down a bit, and the 19" 4:3 LCD screen I have wont look dwarfed in a massive chassis...

gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!

Post by gargoyle67 »

Looking good Wonderdog, Make sure you leave enough room under the CP for buttons and sticks though as it's very tight on the Pony, Mine came with some of the micro switches bent so you could connect the spade wiring, I've order smaller profile buttons for mine 8-)
Wonderdog

Post by Wonderdog »

Yar - I've not worked out yet if the CP will be wooden, or possibley wood with an alluminium overlay (theres a sheet metal place across from my office that will make me up anything I need. Either way I'll need to check the clearance under the panel to make sure I can fit the gubbins in nicely, and probably route out some recesses in the panel if I want to get some sanwa's and a Japanese stick in there.

Other than that there should be plenty of space inside for main chassis for mounting boards etc (since theres no tube). I'll need to pick up a decent RGB/CGA -> VGA upscaler if I'm going to put some proper jamma stuff in there though.

I think I'll replace the rear panel with a thinner sheet of perforated hardboard slotting into the side panels instead - the unit will be living with its back to a wall anyway, and that would also help keep the internals nicely vented without resorting to active fans.
Wonderdog

Post by Wonderdog »

Update - found a local Cnc place litterally 100 yards from my old house - drove past it while trying to find a parking space for a haircut - the guy had the doors open and I clocked him on the cnc mill... Jumped on the brakes, had a ten min chat with the young guy, and he's happy to cnc cut my melamine coated Mdf for a very competetive price - which means I can have all the cross panels recessed etc. Going to have to do some more work on my cad though so he can import it directly.

#wonderdog