Xbox Game Pass

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Xbox Game Pass

Post by nem »

I thought we could have a thread for the service highlighting any decent games.

I picked up a second hand Series S a week ago. Christ those are cheap now. They're around 200 euros here. I then signed up for Game Pass Ultimate for three months for 1 euro. I don't expect to continue at full price, I'm too cheap for that. For now it's amazing value though.

Been playing the following:

Tetris Effect Connected
Brilliant game, loved it. It's definitely a Mizuguchi game. Callbacks to Lumines, Child of Light and Rez visually and aurally, but actual gameplay is basically an easier version of The Grand Master 3. Why reinvent the wheel? The Zone thing is nice addition though. Played through the single player mode on Normal, then went through all the challenges getting B, A and S ranks. However, right around the very last challenges the performance went to ****? Framerate tanked hard. I then quit the game, restarted it, same thing. So I shutdown the console, restarted the game, and it's still the same?? Regardless of mode, there's just tons of lags. No issues in any other game. I had put 11 hours in to at that point, so I just uninstalled it. Likely would have been fixed with a reinstall, but I had my fun with it.

Observation (delisted now I think)
First person adventure-ish game where you play a computer AI on a space station. It's very Gravity and Interstellar, and I don't know, Moon inspired? Was fun enough. Puzzles were fairly easy, but there wasn't that much handholding, so I thought it was fine. I got lost on the space station a lot. Six degrees of freedom is too much for me. I was never any good at Descent or Forsaken either. Put 6.5 hours in to it and enjoyed my time with it.

The Touryst
Really fun game. It's basically a mix of a 3D platformer, puzzle solving and mini games. The camera can be a bit ****, but fortunately there isn't a whole of precise platform hopping -- EXCEPT for one bit where you have to jump on these spheres. **** that part. Got 100% and 1000/1000 on it, played it for 7ish hours. Had to look up the location of the last scroll
(bottom of the mine)
and how to perform a 540 in the surfing bit.

Now on Ori and the Blind Forest. That game is awesome.
Last edited by nem on June 15th, 2021, 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
arcnl

Re: Xbox Game Pass

Post by arcnl »

you can get 3 years for 90 euros. Random google link:

edit: and yes you can't beat the series s. About 200ish euros here too secondhand, its pretty cool.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

Zombie Army 4 is great, especially the 4 player horde mode. :awe:
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

It's certainly a bit of a bargain. I took up the £1 offer a few months ago to play Ori 2 and it seems to have given me it until the end of my Gold subscription in December. Didn't find much else to play though. I hope this business model doesn't eventually lead to quantity over quality like Netflix. I'm glad Sony are investing big in exclusives you have to buy outright.

Horizon 5 looks gorgeous. I'm going to get a Series X to get the best out of it and Halo.

nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

SuperPang wrote: June 15th, 2021, 12:30 pmI hope this business model doesn't eventually lead to quantity over quality like Netflix. I'm glad Sony are investing big in exclusives you have to buy outright.

Microsoft has been playing second fiddle to Sony for over decade, so it's not like it would be a recent Game Pass thing. Gears, Halo and Forza, that's it.

Personally, I don't really mind either way. I like my indies.

(can't wait for Halo though, fingers crossed it will be something special)
Dache

Post by Dache »

I got a Series X about a month ago and Game Pass is a bit ridiculous.

I'm not usually one for non-arcade racing games, but I've put a **** of hours into Forza Horizon 4 inside a Suburu Impreza that can fling itself around corners how I like it. The single player Star Wars games from Respawn is on there and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it too. Played various other bits and bobs that I otherwise wouldn't have bothered with (like Halo 5 - meh) but the fact it's all there is great. Their E3 presentation the other day with nearly everything in it coming to GP really hammered it home for me.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I'm looking at the list of games announced for Game Pass at E3 (below in spoiler), and I have no idea what most of them are :roll:

A Plague Tale Requiem
Age of Empires 4
Among Us
Anacrusis
Aragami 2
Ascent
Atomic Heart
Back 4 Blood
Contraband
Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance
Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes
Eiyuden Chronicle Rising
Forza Horizon 5
Grounded: The Shroom and Doom update
Gunk
Hades
Halo Infinite
Hello Neighbor 2
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Outer Worlds 2
Party Animals
Psychonauts 2
Redfall
Replaced
Sable
Scorn
Shredders
Slime Rancher 2
Somerville
STALKER 2
Starfield
Twelve Minutes
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

I pick up game pass ultimte every now and again when its on offer, last time was around xmas or some time during covid lock downs whish was handy ,thank you ms , really enjoyed tetris effect but couldn't for the life of me get in to The Touryst ,there is a lot to like but its just not grabbing me ,might have a look again at some point, too many fps games for me in general though as I've never been a fan but that's gaming in general now though init:problem:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I haven't played much of anything lately, but I did download Art of Rally yesterday. I like it! If you're into overhead rally games, you could do worse. My only gripe is that at times it feels like you're driving on the surface of the moon. Hit a small bump and your car can catapult in to the air.

Ascent looks fun, but there's no way I'm going to find the motivation to finish a 20 hour game. I wish games were shorter.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

I’ve downloaded it but haven’t had chance to play it yet. Katamari Damacy Reroll is on there. First time playing it since the PS2 days. What a classic.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

SuperPang wrote: August 13th, 2021, 10:41 pm Katamari Damacy Reroll is on there. First time playing it since the PS2 days. What a classic.
Thanks for the heads up. Will grab it later. :awe:
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Hades yesterday too
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

markedkiller78 wrote: August 14th, 2021, 8:07 am Hades yesterday too
I bought this on Switch and really have no idea what the fuss is about. I thought it was rubbish.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

nem wrote: August 13th, 2021, 5:00 pm Ascent looks fun, but there's no way I'm going to find the motivation to finish a 20 hour game. I wish games were shorter.
This so much, I also hate that it takes what feels like 20-30 mins to get past the start tutorials that are in every game these days :problem: I just want to pick up a game press start and play

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

SuperPang wrote: August 14th, 2021, 12:20 pm
markedkiller78 wrote: August 14th, 2021, 8:07 am Hades yesterday too
I bought this on Switch and really have no idea what the fuss is about. I thought it was rubbish.
I was like that it with the touryst.

crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

I wasn’t that impressed by The Touryst either. Maybe it gets going or something but I played it for an hour, got bored and won’t touch it again.
Grinning Cat
eBay: N/A

Post by Grinning Cat »

I haven't got around to actually playing it yet - so, hey, what do I know? But the Touryst just looks like one of those games where you semi-aimlessly putz around doing nothing. It does look pretty, though.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Grinning Cat wrote: August 15th, 2021, 2:56 pmBut the Touryst just looks like one of those games where you semi-aimlessly putz around doing nothing.
Oh, it's definitely one of those games too.

I suggest you guys play just the tombs, don't do any of the side things. The tombs are pretty clever. I really enjoyed the one where you balance on levitating platforms.
Dache

Post by Dache »

I love Hades a lot, I think I sunk about 15 hours into it over the weekend. Meaty combat, cool gameplay loop that reinforces the desire to give it "just one more go", and I'm enjoying the story and characters and the unconventional presentation of it all.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

nem wrote: August 13th, 2021, 5:00 pm I haven't played much of anything lately, but I did download Art of Rally yesterday. I like it! If you're into overhead rally games, you could do worse. My only gripe is that at times it feels like you're driving on the surface of the moon. Hit a small bump and your car can catapult in to the air.
Dl d this and agree re the handling and my gripe is the tree s had a good look at the" people "getting in the way though!

Could be fun if I manage the handling at some point or get a better car