G-Darius HD

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

G-Darius HD

Post by SuperPang »

Was going to post about this in "I'm currently playing" but I think it deserves its own thread.

M2's G-Darius HD slipped out last week. It's part of the "Darius Cozmic Revelation" release, but if you already have DBAC EX (as I do), you can download G-Darius HD separately for 3,800 Yen on the Japanese PS4 and Switch stores.

As per usual, M2 have done a fantastic job. The HD version has had a significant graphical tidy up. There are loads of options, gadgets etc. Very much like a Shottriggers release. It even has a Teatro 50 wallpaper! Everything is in English as DCR is getting a "Strictly Limited" release.

I must confess I've never played G-Darius before. It was on my shopping list for a while but got dropped as the shelves filled up. I think I found the PS graphics a turn off. Never really gave Raystorm/crisis a chance for the same reason. Anyway, it's mad as a box of frogs and I love it.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: G-Darius HD

Post by geotrig »

I havent played it either for the same reason that the graphics were too jarring for me and they never drew me in ,I must give it another look at some point to see if I can get get past that.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I'm never sure if I like Darius games or not, but I have played G-Darius a fair bit on MAME over the years and got quite into Another Chronicle on PC for a short period. So I've got DCR ordered for Switch despite the ludicrous price.

The double/triple screen stuff just doesn't work on single screen.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

I'm always kind of fascinated by the untold story of the big-4-3d-hori-ps1 shmups.... thought g darius 'brought it' in the ps1 era. Einhander similarly so, just swapped the crazy for classy. Unfortunately, both seemed to sink without much of a trace, and then rtype delta kind of trod more of a middle line like a year later... But again all seemed to kind of disappear without much of a trace.

I feel only thunder force v kind of held anything in terms of (western) mindshare... But never had a good time of it in the press as far as I remember? And none really ever garnered much interest retrospectively despite ps1 market dominance.

Is it just that the 3d makes them hard to get over?