One System One Game.

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

One System One Game.

Post by bloodhokuto »

Ok, so just picked up that Megger Drive Console, its not as bad as I thought!

I think that Nontendo will have a fight on their hands, will the Snes prevail? Who knows?

As expected, getting this and one of those Everdrive devices has just made me want to buy original cartridges - even though I gave up collecting years ago. :palm:

I didn't plan on getting any games, as I just wanted a way to play Master System games really, but though I may as well get a MD (actually I still would like a MS2 as well :palm: :palm:).

So I probably will just buy a token game, but it's got to be a good one, and not an overrated middling shooter that costs £1,500, because I have CAVE games already. :wave:

At the same time, I'm not that bothered about spending a bit if it is a good game - provided that its not a Chinese knock off - that's my biggest fear actually.

What would you get if you just could keep, or buy one game, that looks great, plays great and more importantly has nice boxart?
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Re: One System One Game.

Post by markedkiller78 »

And it can’t be an arcade port....

Are we taking, best game on the system that you actually play. Like SNES = SMW? I want to pick F Zero for many reasons, but none of them make it better than SMW when it comes to playing.

Anyway, gunstar hero’s or bare knuckle 2

I did exactly the same thing btw. Buy everdrive, play game, buy original cart. Never play game again
jugemscloud
Monster Basher

Post by jugemscloud »

probably something where having the cart has advantages like a micro machines with the additional controller ports built into it

failing that one of the exclusives; turtles hyperstone, contra hard corps, castlevania bloodlines or gunstar. probably gunstar because or the replayability
Last edited by jugemscloud on November 2nd, 2020, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

markedkiller78 wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:46 pm
Anyway, gunstar hero’s or bare knuckle 2
Gunstar Hero's on my shortlist, so that's good!

I guess really it should a console exclusive game, and it's gotta be a crown Jewel as I'm only buying 1.
markedkiller78 wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 10:46 pm
I did exactly the same thing btw. Buy everdrive, play game, buy original cart. Never play game again
This will be me!

---

Its tough with the SNES for me because I want to say SFIIT - because I got mine just for that. Everyone will shoot be, but I never got into Mario, I really want to say Mario Kart because I love that so much too. If I said Zelda, then I guess I would see lots of thumbs up, but I have barely played it, so can't justify it, so based on just that. I actually only had a few games for the SNES so excluding SFIIT it would have to be Maro Kart - until I finally get around to playing Zelda (I will I will).

I bought a PC Engine mainly for PC Genjin (Bonk/PC Kid), but was blown away by how good R-Type was on it, SFIICE was also amazing. At the time the PCE was the home of, and is famous for its arcade ports, so taking those away is a shame. Probably should be a shooter games to represent the PCE core. The likes of Spriggan and the Thunder games are good choices (the latter mainly for their pumping soundtracks), Sapphire just pushes the hardware into infinity so that's good from a technical point of view. Another bighitter, is of course Dracula X. However, and on Hu Card, as I'ma sucker for cute-em ups, then I am stuck between Coryoon and PC Denjin (Air Zonk), they are the zenith of cute-em-ups, the graphics are amazing, they have great humour, plenty of playability, and as I mentioned before they have great box art. Push me into a corner and I'll say PC Genjin 2. Its not the best game, its not the genre that dominated the PCE but it has cache as being a sort of mascot game, has great graphics, i rarely tire from playing it. But buy a game that's got cool factor as a shelf queen, thats gotta be Dracula X - everyone knows its a cool PCE game (soundtrack is super!), its not cheap, but its not crazy, it'll be on the shelf because your copy of spriggan will be in your console.

Neo Geo - this should be a fighting game ... so Slug 3 it is, it has so much in it (too much to the detrement of its playability). That said, any of the Slugs are silly money, so KOF '98 it is because thats a big hitter in the KOF series, and its not too pricey (for neo geo).

----
jugemscloud wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:46 pm maybe something where having the cart has advantages like a micro machines with the additional controller ports built into it
Oooh really? That's cool!

------

I'll try and draw up a shortlist for the MD for feedback.
jugemscloud
Monster Basher

Post by jugemscloud »

my overall recommendation for a console with minimal games would be a japanese n64 with sin and punishment, bangai-o and f-zero x.

theres a couple of other md games with the extra port carts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-Cart
Sunder
eBay: sunderaj82
Initials: SUN

Post by Sunder »

The Megger Drive needs a game you can play through again and again.

Contra: Hard Corps.

Or since you like expensive shooters go with Battle Mania II: Electric Boogaloo
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

MD = X-Men 2: Clone Wars
SNES = TMNT Tournament Fighters / Super Metroid
PS1 = Tobal No. 1
N64 = Mortal Kombat Trilogy / Super Mario 64

Those were easy decisions for me. I couldn't make such picks for other consoles I think. X-Men 2 has seven playable characters, co-op, and great variety between stage design. More people should play it.
Emulation's nice when done well
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Master System: Sonic the Hedgehog
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

kernow wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 7:20 am Can I just see how far I can throw an N64? It'll be more fun than playing it
Buy one and do it.
Emulation's nice when done well
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

Ok, here's a provisional list so far;

Aleste
Alien Soldier
Battle Mania 1/2
Desert strike
Eliminate Down
Gleylancer
Gunstar Heroes
Gynoug
McDonalds Treasure Land
Rocket Knight Adventure
Streets of Beige 1/2
Thunder Force 2/3/4
V-V
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Master System: Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
All other systems: Dunno

I’m tempted to say Yoshi’s Island for snes, which I’d have never said bitd. It’s aged so well.

Is the purpose of this thread to ponder the ultimate question, or to choose your MD game? :awe:
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

bloodhokuto wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 11:50 pm until I finally get around to playing Zelda (I will I will).
I’ve already drunkenly tried to explain this but...

**** Snes Zelda. As great as it is it’s been years now that you haven’t played it. Gameboy Link’s Awakening is at least as good a My First Zelda game. It’s made to be portable (which was your original stipulation). It’s the perfect Gameboy game, it’s short and sweet, and it’s so you :whoopsie:

Crunchywasp, back me up.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Oh Paul :roll:

Link’s Awakening is amazing. It’s my favourite game on the system. The Switch version is equally great - just a different kind of charm.

Why aren’t you playing it?!? :problem:

And Joe, why aren’t you playing Octopath?!?

Call yourself Nintendo fanboys? Pfft.
bloodhokuto

Post by bloodhokuto »

pubjoe wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 11:08 pm Master System: Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
If I can pretend I owned a MS (only owned a Game Gear), than I'd say I loved Castle of Illusion best.

Incidently, I only recently found out that Gunstar also came on the Game Gear so cool!
pubjoe wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 11:08 pm
I’m tempted to say Yoshi’s Island for snes, which I’d have never said bitd. It’s aged so well.
I would also say that, because it looks amazing but i have barely played it. In fact have a boxed copy of the JPN version somewhere...
pubjoe wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 11:08 pm
Is the purpose of this thread to ponder the ultimate question, or to choose your MD game? :awe:
Yes.

And Yessss I am getting Zelda for the GB, I keep watching, but missing the auctions. :crazy:

Actually about my poncey shortlist above, think I might cut it right down now to;

Gunstar
McDonalds
Rocket Knight
Thunder thing 2/3/4

Forget the hardcore shooters I think.
Wurstkopp
Mister Dick Statue
eBay: nachmittagsprogramm
Initials: NIK

Post by Wurstkopp »

Snes: Super Famicom Wars
Mega Drive: Sonic 1
Master System: Axe Battler
NES: Zelda
N64: Ocarina
Saturn: Shining Force 3
PC Engine: Castlevania
Playstation: Final Fantasy 7
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

The Thunder things win on boxart there I reckon.

Shelf fodder I'd select differently. Boxart primary, while still being a decent game on the obscure side - not a top 25.
murdaonyou
Please Continue...
eBay: c*r*e*a*m*
Initials: mou

Post by murdaonyou »

Bare knuckle III to me, is better than II...
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Re: One System One Game

Post by skykappah »

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 2
Super Nintendo: Final Fantasy 3(6)
GBA: Advance Wars
N64: SM64
Saturn: Virtua Cop
PS1: MGS
PS2: SSX Tricky
PSP: Ridge Racer
Dreamcast: Phantasy Star Online
Game Cube: Rogue Leader
Xbox: Jet Grind Radio Future
NDS: Advance Wars Dual Strike
Xbox 360: Gears of War 2
PS3: Wipeout HD
PS Vita: Wipeout 2048
N3DS: Fire Emblem Awakening
Switch: Super Mario Kart 8

I have more or less skipped this generation’s big 2... Never bought XB1 and I’ve really only played Detroit on PS4, which is a great game.
For the PC... it’s got to be Starsiege Tribes. It didn’t sell well really... but it was critically acclaimed and had a cult following and for me, the original team based FPS unlike Counter Strike. I literally played this game until I started nodding off in the morning ready for college for years on end. Never regretted shortening my actual lifespan over Tribes... Loved every minute of it.
Loving robots since the 80's.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

I remember Starsiege Tribes being pretty popular back in the day. Certainly more than any of the sequels.

Way ahead of its time IMO. Skiing was fun.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Re: One System One Game

Post by geotrig »

skykappah wrote: November 4th, 2020, 11:59 pm
PSP: Ridge Racer
Fr me it's the ps1 version or nothing , I often see the PSP Ridge Racer mentioned but It just never felt right to me , and I've given it multiple tries. It looks good and everything but for some reason and not just limited to RR I find most racing games lacking *disconnected on handhelds. mario kart and maybe 1-2 *work for me *(i cant think of any others at the moment !) :lol:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"