hitbox controllers

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

hitbox controllers

Post by geotrig »

Its something that i periodically come across on various vids every now and again and still don't know what to really think of them tbh, since we have no thread on these ....maybe that answer my questions :lol: . I find them interesting but not so much that i want to buy one and anything from what i see it makes doing certain moves easier in a way although i'd probably still push the wrong button , and they've always just reminded me of the buriki one panel ....even though they are nothing alike :palm: :D

Well whats your opinion on them do you own or have ever owned one ?

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Re: hitbox contollers

Post by crunchywasp »

I don’t understand why anyone would want one. Didn’t some PC keyboard player on SRK make the first one to be all l33t then it caught on because others wanted to be pros too? :roll:

Or by accident because they were building a stick but forgot to buy a stick so they just drilled some
more holes? :think:

I’d rather not play than play with a hitbox.

:problem:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Re: hitbox contollers

Post by cools »

Missing a letter.
geotrig
Potato!

Re: hitbox controllers

Post by geotrig »

crunchywasp wrote: June 13th, 2019, 1:21 pm I don’t understand why anyone would want one. Didn’t some PC keyboard player on SRK make the first one to be all l33t then it caught on because others wanted to be pros too? :roll:

Or by accident because they were building a stick but forgot to buy a stick so they just drilled some
more holes? :think:

I’d rather not play than play with a hitbox.

i feel the same tbh i'm just seeing more and more of them in vids and was wondering why they seem to be more acceptable. I dont particularly like them but was just curious :batlove: if anyone bought one or made one ! :D and if they made any difference to your playing cause at this stage practice isnt making me any better at games :lol: :problem: :problem:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

cools wrote: June 13th, 2019, 1:23 pmMissing a letter.

dont know what you are on about ;)

geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

Maybe they should be know as **** * tm

pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I wouldn’t want to use one, but to play D3V1L’5 4DV0C8...

8-way joysticks’s are fun but they’re actually pretty terrible for precision.

Ever played Street Fighter 1? The dragon punch motion is just ➡️⬇️↘️+P ...with no mistake buffer. Good luck.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Have you ever played SFV? The dragon punch motion is just ➡️↘️+P or ⬇️➡️+P or ↘️↘️+P or ⬇️↘️+P or whatever. You definitely need a hitbox for that.
Emulation's nice when done well
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

It’s been like that progressively in every game since the first to account for human error. All of us probably do dragon punches wrong nearly every time and the game fixes it. More complicated combos are much less likely to get fixed.

I can understand some people using a different controller if it eliminates their mistakes. It’s not for me though. I’d make far more mistakes with it.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote: June 13th, 2019, 3:45 pm Have you ever played SFV? The dragon punch motion is just ➡️↘️+P or ⬇️➡️+P or ↘️↘️+P or ⬇️↘️+P or whatever. You definitely need a hitbox for that.
god that is muck

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

SF2 was *near enough* the same. We just didn’t know about it until training modes.

Everyone hates trying to play SF1 because there’s none of that lenience (and also because it’s a bit poo).

It was lax special move inputs that accidentally invented combos. ...Well, the move cancelling bit.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

You can be far sloppier :batlove: in the Alphas and SF3 than in SF2 I think. SF4 feels like SF3 to me in that respect but I think you can be a bit sloppier still. **** using a hitbox for anything though.

If you want to get really sloppy you should be playing Striking Vipers :fastlove:
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

Yeah, Zero and SFIII were way more lenient. You can even leave out the last forward in double fireball motions on those games. I practised the shoryuken motion by playing Hyper Fighting and doing nothing but Ken's lp shoryukens, as it's the fastest SF game with strict inputs.

I'd like to see crunchy do Bahn's double shoryuken or reverse shoryuken to shoryuken, as the input is even stricter than in SFII. :lol:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

crunchywasp wrote: June 13th, 2019, 4:24 pmIf you want to get really sloppy you should be playing Striking Vipers :fastlove:
Okay, you go first. I’ll go seconds.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

Yeah I knew sf2 was lenient but didn't realise it was as lenient as sfv.

I still struggle and have never really mastered zangiefs spinning pile drive or special even with those lenencies. :problem: Didn't realise sfiii was even loser.

crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote: June 13th, 2019, 5:00 pm I'd like to see crunchy do Bahn's double shoryuken or reverse shoryuken to shoryuken, as the input is even stricter than in SFII. :lol:
Easy :whoopsie:

Anyway, I said Striking Vipers. Check out those special moves :hinthint:
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

geotrig wrote: June 13th, 2019, 6:06 pm Yeah I knew sf2 was lenient but didn't realise it was as lenient as sfv.
It's not.
crunchywasp wrote: June 13th, 2019, 6:46 pm Anyway, I said Striking Vipers. Check out those special moves :hinthint:
Oh dear. :roll:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

geotrig wrote: June 13th, 2019, 6:06 pm Yeah I knew sf2 was lenient but didn't realise it was as lenient as sfv.
Yeah, it’s not. The series has got progressively lenient, but the difference in lenience between SF1 (having to do the move precisely) and SF2 (allowing many types of male chicken up) was pretty big.

Anyway, my point is just that this shows how imprecise we are with joysticks.

Dpads are much the same. It’s the pivot I guess. Makes it very hard to hit a direction without a bit of fudging.

I’m going to take this opportunity to say I like joycon dbuttons. :whoopsie: in certain circumstances anyway. They’re great for Tetris.

Although there are pros and cons. I’m better with a joystick. It just feels more natural. And I’m not relearning at 40.
ChuChuFlamingo

Post by ChuChuFlamingo »

In SF2 you can even input a dragon punch as 236 236 as well. This does have a downside in that if you have a super that has that motion it will take precedence over it.

SF4 you can do 2 23 never hitting forward to do a dragon. Real dumb if you ask me from a design perspective..

But on the subject of hitbox it is ok, it certainly is the superior device for a lot of games with a few exceptions. It makes certain actions a lot easier, some massively harder.One game that definitely benefits from it is Tekken. There are some moves that you have to hit forward three times in a row. On a stick or pad you have to return to neutral twotimes. On a hitbox you hit the button three times. It also makes Korean Back Dash/wavedashing trivial.

It also allows you to bypass "neutral", something a controller or arcade stick never can do. Basically makes dashing forward/backwards, instant air dash, and other stuff instant. Everyone and their mother is going crazy over it because Daigo started using one and wants to copy monkey him. Even though it has been around for several years. The same people probably ask him when to poop and where.

Pro tip: this won't make you better. The learning curve is a lot higher especially for games that don't have input shortcuts. Doing half circles/360's is massively harder than on a stick or even pad.
geotrig
Potato!

Post by geotrig »

ChuChuFlamingo wrote: June 14th, 2019, 2:12 am Doing half circles/360's is massively harder than on a stick or even pad.
I dont know ,you haven't seen me attempt half circles with a stick. :P :lolno:
ChuChuFlamingo wrote: June 14th, 2019, 2:12 am Everyone and their mother is going crazy over it because Daigo started using one and wants to copy monkey him. Even though it has been around for several years. The same people probably ask him when to poop and where.
I did see one suggested recently in my suggested vids referencing Daigo so i might watch to see a pro use one . :problem: i think google are just trolling my lack of skills at this point ! :lol: