Streets of Rage 4

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: Streets of Rage 4

Post by SuperPang »

Out now and reviewing well.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Lol what a world
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

First impressions:

Everyone's fat.
The music is bad.
If it didn't have the SOR badge you'd think it was based of a Nickelodeon series or something.
HOWEVER, gameplay seems really tight. They've not gone mad and tried to reinvent the wheel. The new tweaks work really well.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

New tweaks? They completely ignored the improvements in SoR3, kept the worst part of the enemies and turned the gameplay into a juggle-fest. Which would be fine if they didn't slap a SoR title on it. I'd say its clearly made by French. And that's even ignoring the horrible art and music.
thomj
I love Aerosmith and they look great together
Initials: TWJ

Post by thomj »

It's on GamePass for xbox people
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

I got the Switch version today and have only played it for 15 mins today but first impressions are positive.

I don’t mind the art nearly as much as I thought I would - I was expecting it to look and feel more like a Flash game/SSF2THDR but overall I quite like it :shifty:

The gameplay’s solid and fun and I’m looking forward to playing it some more.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Same team as WB3, which is excellent.
wigsplitta
Savile's alibi

Post by wigsplitta »

IMG_9958.jpg
:awe:
Switch version, with a modded Hori Mini stick as it was the cheapest/easiest solution a while back when I wanted to play Cuphead.

Trying to go into it with an open mind, as I really like side scrolling brawlers. Only managed 20 mins thus far, but enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to some of the unlockables that have been mentioned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I Got PAID...
ウィッグスプリッター - スーパーガレージゲームセンター。
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Nice!

Make sure you read the fighting tips in the pause menu if you haven't already.

I think it's great. The gameplay seems really well thought out, you could even say they've actually fixed some long standing problems with the genre. Having a separate button for picking things up so you don't waste food by accident, enemies can't be knocked offscreen (meaning some great combo opportunities), you can refill the energy lost by using a super move if you quickly inflict more damage etc. Earning extra lives by scoring points from combos is neat too. Being able to throw pipes at enemies then catch them as they bounce back is a laugh. The characters are nicely varied and there are a decent number of levels. The only thing I dislike is the music tbh.

Try zapping arcade cabs with a taser. ;)
Dache

Post by Dache »

Had a lot of fun with it last night playing co-op with my partner. I think it plays great. It's definitely more juggly than most (particularly old) brawlers, but it's an improvement IMO. SoR1-3 wasn't better for specifically not having it, and the mechanic seems well thought-out and blends nicely with the existing SoR-y gameplay.

I am let down by the soundtrack though, and I feel they pulled a bait-and-switch on us a bit before release. I was under the impression that the entire soundtrack was going to be done by Koshiro, Kawashima and guests, but the majority of it is by some guy I've never heard of and it's hugely disappointing so far.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Local or remote? I tried multiplayer on steam for like half an hour. Most matches wouldn't connect and the few that did were unplayable. I've refunded since so i can't retry it.
Dache

Post by Dache »

arcnl wrote: May 4th, 2020, 2:47 pm Local or remote? I tried multiplayer on steam for like half an hour. Most matches wouldn't connect and the few that did were unplayable. I've refunded since so i can't retry it.
Local, PS4. Not tried online.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

I like the look of the art, but

https://www.deviantart.com/omegachaino/ ... -761527091

makes me wetro.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

It was less unbearable with the retro filter (not crt) but that also looked kinda misplaced. Good thing they added the retro music pack too, the new music was pretty lame. Yuzo Koshiro's tracks weren't much better than the rest of the lot here i think.
If i can mention something positive though, i did test it out on the old crappy livingroom streamingrig that's officially way below minimum supported specs (second-gen i5 with integrated graphics and almost nonexistant vram), and it actually ran great with everything completely scaled down. There's plenty of stuff that will do a lot worse.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Unbearable’s a bit harsh!
OBryan
eBay: bdb786
Initials: OBY

Post by OBryan »

Anyone lucky enough to get the Physical collectors edition? It’s too bad LRG is so expensive with shipping abroad.

DD180DCD-E962-43C9-968F-305F1850B9CA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
opt2not
eBay: n/a
Initials: OPT

Post by opt2not »

I'm digging the game. I think the improvements are a nice progression of the genre, and there are clearly versus fighting game influences here that I feel play well with the style of game.
The replayability seems pretty good with something like 16 unlockable characters all feeling very different from one another. I like that there's an Arcade mode and Battle mode as well.

The new character Cherry seems cool, but I haven't really figured out maximizing her combo damage yet. Her start-up frames on her specials are all very sluggish to me, so I gotta re-learn how to play the game with her.

Things I really like about the game:
- Everyone's fat. :lol: I like how people look thicc, and buff enough to take on 1000's of enemies in a nonstop fight. LOL
- Screen-edge wall bounce instead of passing through the edge of the screen into the unseen. This is definitely a versus fighter mechanic they threw in here to help boost combo juggles and keep the action on screen rather than throwing attacks off-camera.
- Animations are fluid, feel viseral on throws and slams.
- I like the artstyle, some don't, different strokes for different folks. The comic influence appeals to me, and the posing of the characters are more dynamic looking than the predecessor games.
- Dedicated pick-up button. At first i thought it was awkward, but as soon as i got used to it, it was clear that the designers chose this to combat the "pick-up instead of attacking" issue when you're fighting enemies near food.
- Throwing and catching weapons. There are some great moments you can have by throwing and catching your weapon in the middle of racking up combo attacks or grabbing and slamming enemies.
- Using specials highlights potential health that you could lose if you don't keep your attacks up. This is a nice gambling mechanic that promotes more offensive play, rather than using the "get-off me" specials as a defensive technique and thus costing health automatically.

Things that annoy me:
- The first half-dozen or so of unlockable characters are all the retro versions of the current line-up. I would've mixed it up with characters you haven't been able to play as before, like Shiva or Ester.
- Picking up food while holding a weapon is super finicky. You need to be directly center on top of food to pick it up while holding a weapon, otherwise you just throw your weapon.
- hit boxes for the knife dudes suck. There's hit collision behind them on their backs! wtf.
- enemies have wake-up attacks, yet you don't.
- bosses break your invincibility frames on specials. Which I understand why they do it, I just think it's annoying they could.
- Only a few songs in the soundtrack are good, the rest kinda grain on my ears. And the whole soundtrack is forgettable, unlike SoR2 or SoR3.
- The game seems a bit too easy on Normal and Hard. Hardest felt good for a challenge, but i had to sift through the previous difficulties to know that.
- Customizing the food's visuals is nice, I just wish it was mixed up, not like all large food is this one type, all light food is that one type.
- Boss fights are inconsistent in difficulty. Some are way harder than others.
- Anticlimatic ending. C'mon, I want that "Hans Gruber slo-mo falling from a tall building ending", something that shows your nemesis' reaction that they have been bested and failed. Not --beat the end boss --> roll credits.

Overall I like the game, and some of the cons i mentioned could be easily patched out. Some blaring ones like the crap music obviously can't. But for me, the game is worth the price. I bought it on Switch, got the 10% release discount off , then used my Nintendo points to get another $3 off. So at the end of the day, $19 is what i paid and I've already got my value out of it.
OBryan

Post by OBryan »

I think for both gamers and collectors it’s nice to have a physical release. The Nintendo store will go down eventually. The demand for physical games is quite high. Even if I look at the flash cards/mods for both retro and new generation machines. Retro games are now pretty much 100% reproduced with Fpga but still the original hardware/games are in high demand. I think that will be the same for the Nintendo Switch.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

The only reason they do it is to appeal to the collectard in you, not going limited for physicals will net them less sales for sure. It;s all quite questionable imho.
OBryan

Post by OBryan »

Yeah I agree with the limited thing. They do that far too often limiting it to only 1500 copies or so. The open orders are far more reasonable. Especially for the gamers because the limited runs pop up for resell for absurd prices which is a shame for the people who actually want the game for personal use/collection.

SoR4 Collectors i.e. is doubled on eBay a week after the pre-order.