Streets of Rage 4

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
buffi

Re: Streets of Rage 4

Post by buffi »

Hideki Naganuma?!?

Yeah, I will buy this for sure.
Furtin72
eBay: aldewalde

Post by Furtin72 »

Game looks fantastic in my book!
And with that set of composers its a day one. :D
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

I still think it looks awful, but hats off to them for actually making it
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

MDK

Post by MDK »

didn't know Jax was in this.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

Really not digging this style. The physics of the gameplay don't look SoR either.
Tofa
eBay: ikari-5

Post by Tofa »

Looks incredible, surprised at the amount of work they're putting into this. 5 characters has me interested now + the online co-op. :-o
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...
eBay: Radiantsvgun
Initials: RIC

Post by radiantsvgun »

Not feeling it, it looks like one of the many cookie cutter "retro' brawlers that are a dime a dozen lately.
Sumez
Initials: SMZ

Post by Sumez »

Despite being extremely sceptical of this game right from the get-go (having DotEmu's name on anything is bound to do that), I honestly thinks this looks very good... I don't get the hate on the art style, I think it looks great, and better than most other recent attempts at similar styles.
It's really hard to gauge the gameplay from videos, and you can't really tell if the game is enjoyable until you have it in your hands, but to me it looks like "real" belt scrolling beat'em up gameplay, where crowd control, timing and managing your distance to the enemies are central, as opposed to the mindless button mashing you'd normally see in attempts to breathe life back into the genre (Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, ...).
radiantsvgun wrote: February 27th, 2020, 3:25 pm one of the many cookie cutter "retro' brawlers that are a dime a dozen lately.
Such as?
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...

Post by radiantsvgun »

Sumez wrote: February 28th, 2020, 10:35 am Despite being extremely sceptical of this game right from the get-go (having DotEmu's name on anything is bound to do that), I honestly thinks this looks very good... I don't get the hate on the art style, I think it looks great, and better than most other recent attempts at similar styles.
It's really hard to gauge the gameplay from videos, and you can't really tell if the game is enjoyable until you have it in your hands, but to me it looks like "real" belt scrolling beat'em up gameplay, where crowd control, timing and managing your distance to the enemies are central, as opposed to the mindless button mashing you'd normally see in attempts to breathe life back into the genre (Castle Crashers, Scott Pilgrim, ...).
radiantsvgun wrote: February 27th, 2020, 3:25 pm one of the many cookie cutter "retro' brawlers that are a dime a dozen lately.
Such as?
It looks like something you'd find on the steam indie sale. For the SOR title, I expect a lot more. Music will probably be great, but the game just looks like another cheap steam title.
ChuChuFlamingo

Post by ChuChuFlamingo »

Streets of Rage's gameplay has never been that good imo if you compare it to arcade capcom games. I say that coming from a one credit perspective and as someone who has no continued all games on mania. Its why they give you a lot of lives since some deaths are almost guaranteed. The enemies are pretty unbalanced since all they do on mania is speed them up to road runner speeds,buff their speed, and increase their damage depending upon the version of the game.

With that in mind almost all SOR games had 10/10 graphics, music, presentation, and nostalgia. Streets of Rage 2 is definitely one of my top ten games on the genesis, but would barely scratch the list for beat em ups as a whole. I feel the gameplay falls quite short and isn't balanced.

I'll be picking up streets of rage 4 but the graphics look cheap imo. The combo juggling feels like they missed what makes beat em ups good (enemy variety, hoarding enemies, and tactics). Not that comboing is bad for beat em ups since some arcade games did it and I love those that do, but it looks janky here.

Tl;dr I still love Streets of Rage series. Hobo Axel and Ara-Ara Blaze look cool.Can I haz Max back instead of we wuz ripped JAX from mortal kombat? Pretty please...
Dache

Post by Dache »

radiantsvgun wrote: February 28th, 2020, 11:05 am It looks like something you'd find on the steam indie sale. For the SOR title, I expect a lot more. Music will probably be great, but the game just looks like another cheap steam title.
If SoR2 or 3 came out right now, they'd be right on sale next to those indie games and no one would blink twice. They were AAA-equivalent when it came out, but neither do anything special that a brawler developed by an indie can't today. I'm not sure what "more" you're expecting? Pixel art rather than hand-drawn? I don't get it. I'd understand if there was some fundamental thing missing or off, but it looks like SoR gameplay with slightly more juggle ability, and (expensive & time-consuming) hand-drawn sprites. No one seems to be able to articulate this beyond "it just looks off". I can't see how.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

You probably hit the nail on the head. SoR2 and SoR3 were AAA in their own days indeed. This absolutely is not AAA today. It's a generic sidescroller cashing in on the nostalgia and name of the SoR franchise.
There are tons of non-pixel games that look great; this not so much; it looks pretty **** (matter of taste so maybe you think it looks fantastic) although i agree it could also be worse. Gameplay wise i see nothing that reminds me of SoR, this moves in a completely different flow with the punches throws etc behaving completely different. There is now an invisible barrier that knocks back enemies etc etc etc.
Frankly what i've heard of the music is hardly impressive either, whilst i would say the music is what more or less made SoR.

Anyway, i'm guessing this is not really something we will agree on.
radiantsvgun
Please Continue...

Post by radiantsvgun »

Dache wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 2:42 pm
radiantsvgun wrote: February 28th, 2020, 11:05 am It looks like something you'd find on the steam indie sale. For the SOR title, I expect a lot more. Music will probably be great, but the game just looks like another cheap steam title.
If SoR2 or 3 came out right now, they'd be right on sale next to those indie games and no one would blink twice. They were AAA-equivalent when it came out, but neither do anything special that a brawler developed by an indie can't today. I'm not sure what "more" you're expecting? Pixel art rather than hand-drawn? I don't get it. I'd understand if there was some fundamental thing missing or off, but it looks like SoR gameplay with slightly more juggle ability, and (expensive & time-consuming) hand-drawn sprites. No one seems to be able to articulate this beyond "it just looks off". I can't see how.
Arcnl explained it better than I could:
arcnl wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 3:04 pm You probably hit the nail on the head. SoR2 and SoR3 were AAA in their own days indeed. This absolutely is not AAA today. It's a generic sidescroller cashing in on the nostalgia and name of the SoR franchise.
There are tons of non-pixel games that look great; this not so much; it looks pretty **** (matter of taste so maybe you think it looks fantastic) although i agree it could also be worse. Gameplay wise i see nothing that reminds me of SoR, this moves in a completely different flow with the punches throws etc behaving completely different. There is now an invisible barrier that knocks back enemies etc etc etc.
Frankly what i've heard of the music is hardly impressive either, whilst i would say the music is what more or less made SoR.

Anyway, i'm guessing this is not really something we will agree on.
neoyagami
Please Continue...
eBay: neoyagami
Initials: JEF

Post by neoyagami »

I understand the reasoning that releasing a side scroller now - it needs to wow in order to generate sales for a niche game genre. IMO, for me, the graphics, bgm, combat have a different design language to what made street of rage, streets of rage for me. With that said i wish it was called something else than the Streets of Rage series. (Probably wouldn't sell as well) Sonic Mania is a perfect extension of a classic franchise in my opinion and wish Sega had green lit something like that with modern physics upgrades from SOR remake, particle and lighting effects etc and kept a koshiro techno OST, then SOR4 would go up on the wall with the series.
cthulhu
eBay: cthulhu_nl
Initials: RIP

Post by cthulhu »

To me this new Streest of Rage is just like years ago with Splatterhouse, it bears the name, but just isn't the same.
My Arcade games

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

More like Streets Of Vape amirite? :whoopsie:

I'm not a fan of the graphics, and I definitely don't like synthwave aesthetics. This is clearly a project that tries too hard.

But I'm happy for the folks who are into it. Enjoy.
Emulation's nice when done well
Layer

Post by Layer »

30 min in game gameplay :

Sumez
Initials: SMZ

Post by Sumez »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote: March 4th, 2020, 8:38 pm I definitely don't like synthwave aesthetics.
If this is "synthwave aesthetics", the originals definitely had synthwave aesthetics.