Team Sonic Racing

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Team Sonic Racing

Post by SuperPang »

Sumo's rumoured new Sonic racer confirmed. Looks like the all-stars may have been dropped sadly.

nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Sonic Racing

Post by nem »

The 'R' logo is from Sonic R:

Which this pretty obviously is not, since it has cars.

Anyway, goddamnit Sega, the fan service is the best thing about thing Transformed. Don't get me wrong, it's a competent racing game underneath, but it's the nudges to old, seemingly forgotten Sega IPs that elevates it to awesome status. Dropping Afterburner, Daytona, Jet Set Radio, Monkey Ball, Panzer Dragoon, Shinobi, Skies of Arcadia, etc, in favor of more Sonic is just a huge male chicken up.

Honestly, I wish the video was a **** take and it really is a sequel to Sonic R. That would be awesome.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

nem wrote: Anyway, goddamnit Sega, the fan service is the best thing about thing Transformed. Don't get me wrong, it's a competent racing game underneath, but it's the nudges to old, seemingly forgotten Sega IPs that elevates it to awesome status.
Agreed, but I suppose kids today don't get the references.
nem wrote: Honestly, I wish the video was a **** take and it really is a sequel to Sonic R. That would be awesome.
God I hope not. Sonic R was just awful.

I'm hoping for a decent framerate with this one. No excuses on PS4 Pro and Xbonex.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

SuperPang wrote:God I hope not. Sonic R was just awful.
Blasphemy.

This coming from Mr. Saturn-Planet is even worse.

How can you not Feel the Sunshine?

*insert youtube embed here*

The only negatives in Sonic R are the lack of stages and the fact that it's just way too easy.
Last edited by nem on March 18th, 2018, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

And it handles like **** and the music makes you want to kill yourself.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

Pffft.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

sonic_retires.jpg
:lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Re: Team Sonic Racing

Post by SuperPang »

12-player online and four-player offline, split-screen multiplayer; a story mode; 15 playable characters separated into three classes (speed, technique, power); team racing with special team moves; and all the power-ups and car customisation you may already expect.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

4 player split screen? Hoping.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

It better have!
Assuming it's multi-format I'll be going for XboneX. I'd like to buy it on switch but I don't use it portably much and I've gotta go with performance.

Very sad to see the other franchises go but I guess it makes sense. It's a Mario Kart rival and the target audience won't get the references anyway. Looks like they've simplified it. Really hoping for a backwards compatible S&SART enhanced.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

gameplay fotage ?

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Seems like SEGA have basically asked them to clone Mario Kart.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Marios CAR !

yeah thought exactly the same from that clip.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Looks really dull compared to Transformed.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

It's not exactly a Mario Kart clone. It's team based, four teams, three players each. Characters have different stats. Finishing positions gives points, points are added for overall team score. You can pass items among team members and pull off collaborative racing moves like slipstream boosts.

Honestly, it doesn't sound bad. A team game could be pretty awesome. Shame they ditched the other Sega IP. Honestly, it would have worked really well for the team idea. Jet Set Radio team vs NiGHTS team etc.

As for the video, agreed. The track looks super dull compared to what was in Transformed. Also it looks really, really slow. Fingers crossed it's just a speed class setting.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Makes absolutely no sense to make a team based game and then ditch other SEGA IP, but I guess that's the real SEGA flavour right there.
Emulation's nice when done well
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Got it early. Played about 90 minutes, mostly the adventure mode.

It's good. Not as good as Transformed but for the most part its a hoot. Looks absolutely gorgeous on the X. Alas, Sumo still haven't mastered the Nintendo art of making a pretty and fast kart racer. The cars feel slow at first and the framerate isn't perfect, although not nearly as bad as their other Sonic racers.

Music is great, characters are annoying. Handling is familiar. The team-play mechanic can be largely ignored in single player. You can simply benefit from slipstreaming team mates and throw them the odd weapon in the hope they do well. I'm sure it'll come into play more in multiplayer. I had a couple of races with the one other bloke who got it early and I can imagine it's suitably chaotic with 4 teams if the servers are up to it.

There seems to be a lot of content. Adventure has a few different types of events that will be familiar if you've played Transformed, as will some of the tracks as most of the Sonic themed ones have been remade.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

The cars feel slow at first and the framerate isn't perfect
That's a shame. They're the two most important factors for me. You would also think a game about Sonic would focus on speed.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Just realised that increasing the difficulty ups the speed (and slowdown). There's a big difference between normal and hard difficulty too. Far more chaotic. I only discovered this at the start of chapter 3 as I was plodding along waiting for the races to get tougher.

Suggest you start with hard difficulty.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

I got this on Steam today. It's fun, but nothing special. Supports 4:3 aspect ratio as well, after toggling through a few options and hoping for the best. All the menus are letterboxed with black borders, but in-game It's full screen with the HUD elements placed within the letterbox area.

A nice buy!
Emulation's nice when done well