Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Re: Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Post by pubjoe »

Had a go of this on the Switch.

No big deal but 2nd Impact’s widescreen mode is inexplicably single-player only. No option on local VS.

In the museum they’ve muddled some newer art in with older years, but overall it’s excellent so I’ll let them off.

I played with an 8bitdo. The input lag is atrocious. It might be a deal breaker but I’ve discovered that I can’t play with the joypad for **** anymore anyway. I don’t know if this is 8bitdo’s dpad quality or just me. Probably me. I actually find the joycon directional buttons no worse at all - I’ve also been using these very happily with Megaman 11.

It’s a shame that they don’t reduce the coded response delay to compensate for the latency of modern setups. It seems to me they should have a couple of frames to play with but maybe it’s not that simple. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’ve not exactly tested online. Tried it for a few matches but they were at stupid o-clock times and my opponents were 5000 miles away.

Everything else about this seems good. Dunno if a wired stick would be an improvement.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Uh-oh, lag talk :whoa:

I only play my Switch as a handheld and no d-pad means I won’t touch this. I can’t get on with 4 individual buttons for directional controls at all. It’s all a bit Hit Box :problem:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Widescreen 2nd Impact is available in offline vs play, use Arcade mode and press Start for new challenger. Versus mode is a bit pointless all round, not sure why it exists.

Input lag seems the same as in the Switch UI with Joycon. Lag adjustment settings are available for Local and Online play, but not Offline play.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

pubjoe wrote: January 1st, 2019, 2:59 am
I played with an 8bitdo. The input lag is atrocious. It might be a deal breaker but I’ve discovered that I can’t play with the joypad for **** anymore anyway. I don’t know if this is 8bitdo’s dpad quality or just me. Probably me. I actually find the joycon directional buttons no worse at all - I’ve also been using these very happily with Megaman 11.
I've not got a 8bitdo but that puts me off buying one ,ta ! :awe: I'm the same and find I'm **** with joypads in general these days ,I don't find the joycons so bad and no worse than any other pad i use across consoles . I can play no problem with Ryu etc but struggle to use them for zangief ,circle motion and 3 button press ,but again that could be me as I seem to struggle with that on the cabs these days also :wtf: :lolno:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
fraggle200
eBay: Fraggle200
Initials: Fmd

Post by fraggle200 »

I had heard of a few people eradicating lag on the 8bitdo's by doing a firmware upgrade.

Don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't help but it's worth a shot.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Thanks Fraggle. That’s interesting. I’ve taken the high praise for 8bitdos for granted and out of the box they feel very right. I was just thinking aloud as it occurred to me I’ve actually barely used them, but if other people are talking about a problem on previous firmware then I should check that out.

Geo, I forgot to reply but I wouldn’t want to put you off. 8bitdos seem to be well made controllers and no worse than any turd party I’ve tried in the last dirty years.

More than likely they’re around as responsive as any other Bluetooth pad. I was using this Bluetooth controller with a plasma TV to play an emulated game. And SSF2T at that, which is the one game I’d hopefully notice a problem with.

Also, after years of playing with original hardware and various emulation setups I’ve developed an incurable case of lagphobia. :(