Xbox One X

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Xbox One X

Post by SuperPang »

Well this has been a very Microsoft experience so far.

Took me hours to get my Xbone backed up to a USB drive. I had to download an app to format to NTFS with my Mac because the Xbone won't look at anything else, even though it will "format it for Xbox" when it does shake hands. Tried to copy everything several times, it eventually did half the stuff and I had to figure out that the "Groove Music" app was borked and stopping A-G from transferring for god knows what reason. Once that was done and the Xbone wiped, the fury of getting everything back in the **** box began. This was best achieved with a technique akin to that guy who smashes up food on Youtube with his fists..

Once the (admittedly very sleek looking) Xbonex was plugged in, there is of course a 780mb day one download before you can do anything. This too took several hours of starting, stopping and restarting with an accompanying message saying that the Xbox Live service is experiencing issues. Once it had finally finished however I discovered that Xbox Live wasn't actually to blame and wired or wireless, the console was disconnecting every few seconds. Router reset to factory settings but no, it's ****. At a guess the networking card is loose or buggered as the geniuses at Currys decided to send the Xbonex in a plastic bag.

On hold to Currys for 20 minutes before I'm cut off because some plum pressed the wrong button. On for another 20 minutes to be told they'll collect on Monday and won't send a replacement until it's been returned. Oh and of course I've got to find a box for it. I asked for a refund but that's a no-no unless the 3 free games they sent a month earlier are still sealed.

I got to play Forza 7 in 4K HDR for a few minutes (from the beginning of course as my saves are in the cloud.) Seemed pretty underwhelming. It's a good example of how **** you are without fibre this game. 45GB on the disc, 30GB day one content download and a 20GB patch for the 4K.

Back to Super Mario Odyssey.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Re: Xbox One X

Post by markedkiller78 »

My friend got a new tv and one x. When I text him to ask how it looked, he was in a similar situation. 6 hours after unpacking the one x, he got to play it.

He ended up playing his PS4 Pro inbetween times.

I loath this generation on consoles. Any time I want to play, the update takes longer than I had to spare.

When I need to update a Nintendo game, it genuinely takes minutes rather than hours. Whilst Nintendo are far from perfect, Sony and MS are atrocious this gen
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

I didn't get an X but was similar with the xbone when I got it. Put the game in on Friday got to play it Sunday and had to return on the Sunday afternoon and start over again. no fibre here so I don't think I'll be thinking of this for a while.i agree with mark I **** loath this gen also ,its so much hassle just to play a quick game.

It's starting to make setting up the c64 on Xmas seem not so bad now waiting for that game to load. :lol:

This day one patch and DL malarkey for games is getting a bit tedious

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I watched Ashens unboxing of one. It's to his regret.
yosai
Windy City
eBay: yosai

Post by yosai »

,its so much hassle just to play a quick game.
This is the bane of modern gaming.

Too many times we've arranged to play some Gears of War Horde only to be greeted with a 7GB update. It's not too bad here as that will only take 5 minutes but you cant play play until everyone has updated. On a 10mb connection it takes ~2 hours. :problem:
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

geotrig wrote:It's starting to make setting up the c64 on Xmas seem not so bad now waiting for that game to load. :lol:
Funny thing is our memories lie about the C64 and Spectrum load times. I remember waiting for what felt like an hour but rarely did it actually take much more than 5 minutes. Most were 1-2 minutes. We like to say we had it bad but modern consoles are easily worse.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Here's how it went down with the C64 etc:

You put in the tape, performed the loading thing ritual, screen starts flashing with pretty colours, and while that's happening you play with your action figures and hum some tunes. Probably the theme songs of spiffy n kewl cartoons. :whoopsie:

Now you don't have the action figures and you don't hum the tunes. You browse the news on your phone about how everything is ****. And how expensive the games, action figures and everything else is from of your childhood. :awe:
Emulation's nice when done well
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

:lol:

I’m sorely tempted and have one reserved for collection on Monday, but I might hold off. I have a really **** internet connection here so the first download will be torturous.

I got rid of my Xbone early on and have missed all the good games. I’m desperate to play Halo, Gears & Forza on my non 4K screen :palm:
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

We're on 6.2mbps here so so can see the problem. At least you can leave it to download updates in standby but the 30GB day one download to play Forza 7 properly was ridiculous.

PS4 Pro is much better. When I got that I just connected an ethernet cable between the two and the transfer was seamless. Most games you can play straight off the disc and the updates are smaller. I was always managing the HDD space on Xbone and Xbonex will be no different. PS4 Pro is great except for the loud fan and pathetic controller battery life.

It's actually the backwards compatibility that's forcing me to stick with Xbox. Lots of my favourite XBLA stuff on there now. It's a real shame SEGA gave up on that.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

15k > 4k
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

markedkiller78 wrote:15k Grails > 4k pretenders
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

15k grails soon to be £4k
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Not X related as such but I've been 2 days now trying to install/ update mafia 3 , **** hell I'm getting more **** of with these consoles by the day, santa would want to start updating all his Coles now if kids want to play a game this year.

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"