Why Shaturn Grail?

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Re: Why Shaturn Grail?

Post by NoAffinity »

ChuChuFlamingo wrote:Re-bending goes a long way, but one thing you need to keep in mind is that a lot of these action replays edge connectors are thicker iirc than standard carts. Add this on top of **** metal connectors, which wear down easily and you get this situation.

Another problem i've seen people mention is cracked solder joints...

Pretty cool you fixed it that way.
Yeah, I wondering if some of the solder joints weren't failed. I visually inspected them along with re-bending the pins, and reflowed a couple, but they are so small it's hard to tell.

At any rate, the mod is complete. The Saturn is re-assembled with the AR cart (flashed with Pseduo Saturn Kai Lite) tucked securely inside the case.

https://youtu.be/PEIukQ53hkg
Last edited by NoAffinity on November 12th, 2017, 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

That's pretty hardcore. I would have probably tried to find a flat ribbon cable that had the same spacing as the cart pins. The console side would still have been a PITA though.
NoAffinity
eBay: noaffinity
Initials: CSG

Post by NoAffinity »

nem wrote:That's pretty hardcore. I would have probably tried to find a flat ribbon cable that had the same spacing as the cart pins. The console side would still have been a PITA though.
I considered a ide cable but i think it would have to be one of those "bundled" type that is not flat, like the below. Real estate is at a premium inside the case, as it was i had to spend a fair amount of time routing the wires so they wouldn't conflict with the cd drive operation and wouldn't prevent the drive lid from closing. There also is not a lot of flexibility in having longer wires than needed because again there just isn't room to coil up all those wires...it has to be a straight run with little to no slack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

I did not want to open a brand new thread so thought this was the best place.

I dusted off my saturn and im working on some bits to play and such. I am missing pads. I have a nice one coming from JP for about £6.00 but I did see this Retro-Bit Saturn one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H3Q5XKL/ ... _lig_dp_it <----- Amazon link.

Anyone had any exprience with these? Rate them ?
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress
Dache

Post by Dache »

Yeah, I got a Saturn-plug and a USB one. They seem very close to the originals AFAICT. The shoulder buttons may be slightly less clicky? Part of the problem is that it's hard to compare a brand-new pad to one that's seen 25 years of use, unless someone can find a NOS Saturn pad to do a more direct comparison. Still the best non-analogue gamepad you can buy.
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

Cheers. Yeah i was bidding on a Saturn pad which had a similar colour way (OG) But lots it. I have a few pennies in amazon vouchers burning a hole in my pocket so will likely pick one up there. How much and where is the USB to SS converter ?
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress
Dache

Post by Dache »

Lordstar wrote: February 4th, 2020, 10:46 am Cheers. Yeah i was bidding on a Saturn pad which had a similar colour way (OG) But lots it. I have a few pennies in amazon vouchers burning a hole in my pocket so will likely pick one up there. How much and where is the USB to SS converter ?
There's no converter. There are two separate pad SKUs. One is USB, the other is Saturn. I think there's all colours in both types.
OBryan
eBay: bdb786
Initials: OBY

Post by OBryan »

I got one including the USB for switch / saturn wireless. Which is awesome because it’s one of the best controllers (fight pads) ever. Feels like an original, tested it back to back with my wired white JPN controller.