Oculus Rift DK2

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
Johnnychaos
eBay: Keyamon

Oculus Rift DK2

Post by Johnnychaos »

My Dk2 arrived this week and I'm loving it.

After playing on some of the HD prototypes and the resolution on my dk1 was bit of a disappointment. So it's great to get the upgrade :)

Best thing I've played so far has to be Elite: Dangerous. it's simply amazing. :awe:

Anyone else pick one up?

Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Re: Oculus Rift DK2

Post by Pete »

How much do they cost ?
Johnnychaos

Post by Johnnychaos »

Worked out about £280 delivered. Sent from a UK hub so no extra tax charges either.

I needed to build a much better pc though so guess it cost me quite a bit more than that really. But im using it to develop a VR game.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

:lol:

Beware of Sid 6.7 too :whoa:
Neo'nate
eBay: fleebay
Initials: NJP

Post by Neo'nate »

Finally played one at EGX, it was awesome. Played the new Alien game/demo, which, when I got caught and munched by the Alien made me jump like a little kid! The assistant knew instantly that I died!! Ha ha..

Trouble is I fall into the '1 in 5' category where you get severe motion sickness. I knew it'd happen as I played on a Gundam pod arcade machine in HK and nearly threw up when immersed in that. The assistants said the company are working on it as we speak but I get/got it bad, makes me think I might well not be able to work with an Oculus...
fagin

Post by fagin »

I'll get one when they upgrade the screens past Nintendo GBA quality. ;)

I played my mates DK2 last week and was quite underwhelmed tbh. It was good..... but it wasn't awesome (which is what I was expecting).
Johnnychaos

Post by Johnnychaos »

Neo'nate wrote:Finally played one at EGX, it was awesome. Played the new Alien game/demo, which, when I got caught and munched by the Alien made me jump like a little kid! The assistant knew instantly that I died!! Ha ha..

Trouble is I fall into the '1 in 5' category where you get severe motion sickness. I knew it'd happen as I played on a Gundam pod arcade machine in HK and nearly threw up when immersed in that. The assistants said the company are working on it as we speak but I get/got it bad, makes me think I might well not be able to work with an Oculus...
I bet you'd be fine in a cockpit view game.

I get bad simulator sickness on a lot of games.. started with DOOM on the SNES!!!
thankfully I can play the rift as long as it's not a walking game.
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

CROTCHULUS WHIFF.

Post by skykappah »

I oculus rifted last night... ;) DK2 to be exact... First time ever. While it is a taste of things to come, can I just say.... "Underwhelmed much?" For one thing.... What's with "nes" quality resolution? So my eyes right next to two screen and that means the pixels are fat... Yo momma fat. As it is it's not fit for gaming or anything else other than a 30 minute wowerz.
I know backers and oculus gayerz will say it's not meant for the consumer, as it also says on its website. But still... Can't get over the fat pixels. HD right up in your face ain't "HD"...
Secondly... Tracking is juddersome.

On a plus point.. It is very immersive and can't wait to play Sexy Beach Zero.
I think it's gonna need to be 4k and over for Crotchulus Whiff to be consumer ready. So we aren't far off maybe?
Loving robots since the 80's.
Johnnychaos

Post by Johnnychaos »

The pixels aren't as evident on certain games for some reason. Its a shame that you had a lot of judder, that really kills the enjoyment. Doesn't sound like the system you were trying it on was quite up to it. Or maybe it was just the demo?
With everything being demos on beta software sometimes the most.powerful pc have issues when some lesser ones work fine.

The demos they've been showcasing recently on crystal cove (a step further to consumer rift) has no pixeling but is apparently not done with a higher rez screen (last I heard)
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Post by skykappah »

Johnnychaos wrote:The pixels aren't as evident on certain games for some reason. Its a shame that you had a lot of judder, that really kills the enjoyment. Doesn't sound like the system you were trying it on was quite up to it. Or maybe it was just the demo?
With everything being demos on beta software sometimes the most.powerful pc have issues when some lesser ones work fine.

The demos they've been showcasing recently on crystal cove (a step further to consumer rift) has no pixeling but is apparently not done with a higher rez screen (last I heard)
There was nothing wrong with the pc (maybe?). It's a quite a beefy that was top of the range about 6 months ago.
I played the demos and the new Aliens game. Are there certain calibrations I need to get the pixels to be not as evident?
Loving robots since the 80's.
Johnnychaos

Post by Johnnychaos »

skykappah wrote:There was nothing wrong with the pc (maybe?). It's a quite a beefy that was top of the range about 6 months ago.
I played the demos and the new Aliens game. Are there certain calibrations I need to get the pixels to be not as evident?
like I say it seems to be more down to the demo.. although if you don't have your IPD setup correctly it can make things look worse and you sometimes need to double check in the game settings that it's honouring your oculus config settings.

I mainly just play Elite on an i5 4690K, GTX770 and 16GB ram and the tracking is perfect. You can see the pixels, but they seem a lot less evident than most of the demos on Oculus share.

I have heard some people having lag issues with higher spec rigs though. seems a bit pot luck at the moment.
philbee
Please Continue...

Post by philbee »

playing eurotruck simulator 2 on mine at the moment and i love it, great feeling of immersion. I'd never normally play that game but im hooked now. Highly recommended.
A word of warning though, it can be a little juddery but when you're driving and watching those rear view mirrors out the side of the cab you'll be too busy to notice.
Also enjoy star wars the battle of endor.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

So with all the new VR initiatives i see like the Samsung glasses or the HTC/Valve ones, what does Oculus do better than those that warrants a 2 billion investment? In other words: why would i want an Oculus and not an HTC/Valve one?
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn »

they got Carmack.
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
Johnnychaos

Post by Johnnychaos »

I think the valve one sounds impressive.
I wonder if the pc based systems will all work with the same games
slugflyer

Post by slugflyer »

This is the single video that will make me say in the words of the late, late SNK: "The Future Is Now".

How cool it is that a community has made these things work with GTA V. 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDF06Dje550"

8-) 8-) 8-)
Here to represent new style VEWLIX arcade fans. Both of you.
OlDirty

Oculus Rift preorder starts in 47 hrs

Post by OlDirty »

Finally the BIIIIG day is here :-o . Really can't wait to press the preorder button. This will be absolute EPIC (as everybody says, f word). :P

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/oculu ... -on-jan-6/
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!
eBay: gargoyle1967

Post by gargoyle67 »

Got my pc upgraded over xmas for this :awe: I bet the servers crash with the ponding they will get on Wed's, Whats this hub that you use to buy imported stuff ?
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
OlDirty

Post by OlDirty »

I'm also anxious that everything crashes on Wednesday, but also about the rats which maybe buy 10 kits just for reselling purpose. :sick: I hope it's limited to 1-2 kits per person.
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!
eBay: gargoyle1967

Post by gargoyle67 »

25 minuets to go !
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?