I'm currently playing:

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
Forum rules
ArcadeOtaku forum introduction & rules
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Re: I'm currently playing:

Post by pubjoe » July 25th, 2018, 11:04 am

Yeah it is generous with combo timings but let’s face it, it’s a better multiplayer game because of that.

I remember from the practice mode it still had some REALLY tricky combos though.

I think you’d like EX2 but I’ve never played EX3 and don’t know how similarly they play.

geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig » July 25th, 2018, 11:24 am

markedkiller78 wrote:I’ve been playing enter the gungeon a lot. I’m actually gettting better (still ****) it’s £2 or summit on the switch, absolute bargain
FrancoB wrote:Great isn't it. Gets hard as nails but so much fun. I'm not normally a fan of random/procedurally generated games but it really works for this game. Some of the weapons are > :lol: < There's loads of secrets/paths etc too. I've not played it for ages (have it on PC) but I think I got to about the fifth floor, I think most of that was luck though :awe: The weapons you pick up early on have a massive impact on the success of your run. Dodge roll ftw.
dl'd it last night and went from this is very very meh to oh its a good bit of fun ! It took me way to long to figure out how to leave the lobby/breach area :lol: :oops: :facepalm: like you mark I'm **** at it so far and probably wont improve ,Aiming with right stick while running/moving is not my forte

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"

geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig » July 25th, 2018, 11:26 am

pubjoe wrote:Yeah it is generous with combo timings but let’s face it, it’s a better multiplayer game because of that.

I remember from the practice mode it still had some REALLY tricky combos though.

I think you’d like EX2 but I’ve never played EX3 and don’t know how similarly they play.
while it sounds appealing as a game for the most part the thoughts of learning combos :problem: :yawn:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » July 25th, 2018, 2:13 pm

That’s it’s strong point. By ‘generous with combo timings’ I mean you don’t need to learn combos. You can get away with trying **** and a lot of the time it works. Freestyle yo.

There’s depth and some difficulty there, as I remember from the practice mode, but it’s not essential to do well by any means.

It’s what made it so good for playing with random mt8s.

SuperPang
Master or Universe

Post by SuperPang » July 28th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Tempest 4000 is the ****.

FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB » July 29th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Dead Cells on Switch = :awe: :awe: :awe:

It#s another procedurally generated game but it works really, really well. I've been playing it pretty much non stop today. Currently stuck on the Black Bridge. Need to get a good weapons loadout to get past it.

landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama » July 30th, 2018, 7:54 am

Bayonetta 1 on Switch.
I love the game so much that I finished it on Xbox 360, PS3, PC and now I play it again on Switch. However, after finishing the PC version with high resolution graphics, it's quite hard to return to 720p.

cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools » July 30th, 2018, 9:43 am

cools wrote:
pubjoe wrote:
cools wrote:Thimbleweed Park on Switch, and Mole Mania on GameBoy
How are you finding Thimbleweed Park? I’d forgotten about that. And I’d forgotten about Mole Mania too. I’ve completed the first 4 levels iirc. They’re a nice length to do one per session.
Thimbleweed Park is great. The writing is some of Ron Gilbert's best. I've not completed it yet - I think I'm on the last/last but one chapter - and I've whittled away about 14 hours. Some evenings I've even stayed up way past my bedtime playing it.
And last night I completed it. Final save clocked in at 19h14m.

Ending wasn't to my taste but it's done well enough. I stand by my earlier criticism where you're finding a needle in a haystack on occasion. Played on a PC, close to the screen, this would be reduced a lot - it's home territory rather than a handheld console.

My only real gripe is the number of semi-red herrings. There are times where you are presented with half a dozen options, only one being an actual completable puzzle. I don't know if this is to justify the hint system's existence or another reason, but it's irritating to find you're running down a whole bunch of blind alleys...

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Still pantless?
eBay: ~~~

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA » July 30th, 2018, 1:43 pm

World Heroes Perfect and Culdcept Revolt, while waiting for La Mulana 2.

FrancoB

Post by FrancoB » August 7th, 2018, 7:40 pm

FrancoB wrote:
July 29th, 2018, 4:10 MP
Dead Cells on Switch = :awe: :awe: :awe:

It's another procedurally generated game but it works really, really well. I've been playing it pretty much non stop today. Currently stuck on the Black Bridge. Need to get a good weapons loadout to get past it.
**** me this game is incredible :-o I'm about 45 runs in now and each run now lasts a good hour or so. There's so much to upgrade/unlock and keep you interested. I don't think I've played a game this solidly in ages!

I've got all four runes now which helps. Black Bridge is a piece of cake now. I had just unlocked the Throne Room (final boss) via High Peak Castle and I was just going round trying to get any last cells and I got stuck in corner with a load of enemies and died :palm:

The risk/reward is great. Do you try and collect all cells and risk losing them along with any blueprints? Do you use a valuable energy potion or try and hang onto it and gain some health via the Necromancy munition? Do you open cursed chests or leave them alone. Do you face Elite guards/enemies or leave them to it? It often changes game to game depending on your loadout/weapons. There are multiple paths to take depending on what you want to do and there are loads of secrets.

What really surprised me ia how good the generated levels are. Every run though feels as if the level had been designed rather than generated.

I had better stop gushing before I need to change my Tena Lady :whoopsie:

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe » August 7th, 2018, 10:38 pm

FrancoB wrote:Dead Cells
It sounds quite awesome

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » August 7th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Doesn't it have massive frame rate issues on the Switch?

FrancoB

Post by FrancoB » August 8th, 2018, 6:14 am

There are a few frame rate drops here and there,I wouldn't call them massive though and certainly not enough for it not to be hugely enjoyable in my opinion. Motion Twin are looking to optimise the game further though

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Still pantless?

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA » August 18th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Tobal No 1.

It's 2018 and this is still one of the best looking, best sounding and most comfortable to control fighting games ever. Virtual moat fighting perfection! Rather unfortunate that it took me over 20 years since its release to get how to play this, but it's now easily the #1 game on the PS1. Zero Divide 2 and Goiken Muyou II had to make way for the new king. :awe:

Don't play the PAL version, it's too slow. And pad beats stick. Tobal 2 usually gets all the attention but the juggling completely ruins it for me.

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Still pantless?

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA » August 28th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Still trying to beat the last 30 floor dungeon in the quest mode of Tobal No 1. It's hard but fun!

LEGENOARYNINLIA
Still pantless?

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA » September 1st, 2018, 7:03 pm

Still can't beat that dungeon. Mixing it up with Fighting Vipers 2 on the DC now.

landisama
eBay: cameliacomicfan
Initials: AND

Post by landisama » September 3rd, 2018, 9:09 am

Now playing Shenmue 1 and 2 HD. I finished them 3 times before on Dreamcast, but this rerelease demanded a new playthrough. The Japanese audio in Shenmue 1 makes a big difference!!!

AxBattler
Initials: MS

Post by AxBattler » September 4th, 2018, 9:46 pm

Sniper Elite 3

Missile5
eBay: buzz939

Post by Missile5 » September 5th, 2018, 5:43 pm

I'm playing Zarch (Archimedes), Outfoxies (Arcade) and Drop7 on Android. If anyone has Drop7 please message and add me, because I want to get better and need some competition. I've been trying to beat my friend's score on Blitz mode for over a year. I've now got half of what he scored...

cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools » September 6th, 2018, 3:23 pm

I played Drop 7 for a while but uninstalled it when I realised it had random impossible situations, put me right off. Don't mind a game punishing me for making mistakes. Do mind getting handed something unavoidable.

Back to Bayonetta 2. Think I'm getting near the end. It's definitely prettier and with wilder design than Bayo 1. Although the button configuration is easier to handle, combat seems mashier and less precise in the sequel. Glad that the insta-death QTEs are gone.