Arcade vs Console-ports that were considerably different...

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
Coorda
Please Continue...

Arcade vs Console-ports that were considerably different...

Post by Coorda »

I hope you understand what i am getting at. I wanna discuss the differences in preferences when it comes to Arcade games that have been ported to home systems, but Only those games that were considerably different from their original arcade counterparts.

I can start with Rygar as a prime example. Everybody that knows Rygar should know that the FC/NES release was considerably different from the Arcade original. For me, i like the more in-depht of the FC/NES port, and i also like the fact that the game has some early RPG influences etc.

Kung Fu is another game where i think the arcade original is much better than the FC/NES port of the game. Overall i feel it has tighter controls but also shares a lot of more nostalgia to me personally, so this might be why i prefer this one.

Seishun Scandal...i think its called My Hero for you westerners. Anyway, it was released on Mark III/Master System and Arcades. I really really like the Mark III/SMS version, but since it only contains one level of the original Arcade release, i must say that it is a pretty lame port when it comes to the fact in what they ported of the gameplay itself. But i do must admit that the console port is really good for being released on a card and that it is one of my favourite games for that console.

So anyway. Do you other guys have some other interesting opinions about games like this? I find it interesting since many times i feel that games that have been tried to be ported as close to arcade perfect as possible might fail due to the fact of hardware limitations of the console, and that it was not until PSX era the games really could be considered pixel perfect in my opinion. So for many of the games, i think that the uniqueness of the port, like in Rygar, was a real benefit because if we compare the Nintendo version vs the Sega version of the released game, i think the nintendo version is far much more a better game than the Mark III one.

Anyway, shoot! :crazy: ... please
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Re: Arcade vs Console-ports that were considerably different

Post by Pete »

Initial D home ports ?
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

I'm not sure why it's the first one that pops to mind but Virtua Fighter 2 on the Mega Drive was pretty disgraceful. Why they even bothered I don't know :roll:

I enjoyed some really shonky ports as a kid and was easily pleased but I'm trying to think of which ones were the most disappointing at the time... :think:

I used to hate it when games were hyped as arcade perfect when they clearly were not :problem:
mendo
Please Continue...

Post by mendo »

Street fighter the movie.

the console port was kinda cool, similar to ST
Last edited by mendo on June 22nd, 2013, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

I cant decide if I like the arcade version or the Mega Drive port of Crude Buster better. I love how the arcade original is so colourful, but the cleaner look of the port is also very nice. But in the end it all comes down to the controls, which feel a lot more refined on the console, except for the jumping attack mechanics that set the difficulty in the two versions apart. I'll go with the (easier) console version just because it has been one of my favourite games since I was 10 years old.

Bonus information no one cares about: scoring a jamma version of this game on Ebay got me into buying a supergun and joining this place.
Emulation's nice when done well
Ghegs
Please Continue...
eBay: ghegs
Initials: GHE

Post by Ghegs »

I'd think the Contra games would be the poster child for something like this. They're kind of clunky and a tad too short on the arcade (and the screen orientation doesn't quite work), but much smoother and fully fleshed out on the NES/FC.
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum
Switchblade
Please Continue...
eBay: Topcat256
Initials: SPF

Post by Switchblade »

Robocop - arcade sucks, yet the home versions were actually pretty good. So say my Amstrad CPC464 and Commodore 64 ;-)
system11

Post by system11 »

Switchblade wrote:Robocop - arcade sucks, yet the home versions were actually pretty good. So say my Amstrad CPC464 and Commodore 64 ;-)
:wtf:
Random blog of stuff:
http://blog.system11.org
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Switchblade wrote:Robocop - arcade sucks, yet the home versions were actually pretty good. So say my Amstrad CPC464 and Commodore 64 ;-)
May the Data East Gods smite you.
Emulation's nice when done well
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn »

TROJAN.

The NES-Port is fantastic. Given the hardware's limitations, it got some new zones and powerups, that the arcade port is missing. Seen people that prefer the port over the arcade original, and I can understand why. Still love both versions.

NINJA GAIDEN:

What a crappy Arcade Original, that spawned such a nice NES game. :awe:
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
ninn
TheRedKnight's Lover
eBay: 8bitbitch

Post by ninn »

Castlevania / Haunted castle:

Arcade port very clunkey - starting with the guy's walk - , nes version is a lot smoother and fleshed out.
Randy and Candy.
currently lazy. must not buy games!
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

Did you have a different C64 port to me? The arcade version is :awe:
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

First level was :awe: then it got a bit boring iirc. I was contemplating Robocop too. I had a feeling the home releases were totally different, but I'm not sure why. I think they all share the same first level but I can't remember after that.

I remember that feeling of "this isn't the game I wanted! ...but actually...". I'll have to jog my brain a bit for some good examples.

There were lots like Wonderboy and Paperboy that were simplified versions with a repetitive landscape due to memory constraints.
baddy
Please Continue...
eBay: irishfrog89
Initials: CHI

Post by baddy »

Enduro Racer, a hang on copy in the Arcades, a brilliant and simple isometric racer on the SMS :)
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Punchout ffs!
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Wonderboy in Monster Land. The SMS version looked better despite the limited colour palette (full screen!), sounded better despite the restricted audio chip, and the official translation stomped all over the bootleg ones.
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

Super Hangon.
To me, the Amiga version is a far superior game than it's arcade counterpart. The music was great too.
Coorda
Please Continue...

Post by Coorda »

Great additions to the thread!

When you mention Amiga and such old computers, i cannot stop thinking of Parodius for the MSX. Although its not ported from arcade, since it was released before the arcade release, i think that this game is considerably more fun to play than the Arcade version, which in most aspects is a totally separate game, but still maintains heavy influence from the MSX original...but maybe that is a bit off the topic since its not a direct port in any way. :cry:

Then we of course have the infamous GnG port for the FC/NES. This game is like "Lets take away all the good parts about the arcade game and make the rest of it, ten times worse". I have to admit though that it is really a challenge of a game, and i have spent too many hours trying to beat level 1, hehe, just kidding.
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

The Megadrive conversions of Shadow Dancer and E-swat I though were wwaayy better than their arcade versions. I found the arcade Shadow Dancer a bit of mess, the enemy placements and flow of the game didn't feel right. The Megadrive version felt alot more faithful to the original game and alot more creative with the level design. The arcade version felt too zoomed in and clostophobic to me.

Same goes for E-Swat. It was alot more creative in the level design, different weapons when in the suit, harder difficulty, better music, the game just flowed alot nicer and felt like a more complete game.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gundarN
Officially Special
Initials: guN

Post by gundarN »

I keep telling myself the PC Engine version of Rainbow Islands is better (I have the PC Engine and the arcade version is really expensive).
It has the advantage of being able save your game, and other than that, I think it's pretty close.