The Last of Us

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: The Last of Us

Post by SuperPang »

markedkiller78 wrote: Blood Dragon uses the FC3 engine, that's where the similarity stops
I played most of the trial. Tutorial was hilarious but gameplay wasn't great and the colours, blergh.
Far Cry 3 is where it's at.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

BR is my kind of game. Much like FC3, it doesn't open up until you get out onto the island (I'm guess the demo would end before that?) By the time you free 5/13 of the garrisons, you are powered up something awful.

It's more like vanquish, in that you are a 1 man killing machine. You can take out 50-100 guys no problem. I liked it because it was cheap, pretty, fun, entertaining and short (7/8h)

A lot of these other games, The Last of us, FC3, Tomb raider etc don't have the fun element imo. I read books & watch films, games are something different for me. If they are not fun then what's the point? I used to get sucked into RPG & levelling up / grinding for that all important virtual sword (or whatever you chase) but now I intentionally avoid it.

I guess I've finally realised that my time is finite & games need to be fun for me to extract the most enjoyment out of them. Either that or really short (arcade games). To each their own. I may well come back to this thread in 3 / 4 months & hail TLOU as the greatest game ever made.
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

markedkiller78 wrote: Either that or really short (arcade games)
I completely agree with this. I hate the phrase " only 12 - 15 hours gaming" I don't have 15 mins free these days, never mind 15 hours.
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

kernow wrote:The graphics, especially the outdoors parts (which were great on uncharted too) are ridiculous on this.

Not digging it as much as I thought though, usual swearing and suchlike, but then I thought U3 was a bit of a letdown after 2.
Your a bit of a letdown.

Like, Mark, will pick this up when its in the bargain bin. I don't play my games as much as I do in the winter and after just getting a Wii U and a few of the good games and signed up for PS+ I have enough stuff to keep me going just now. :)
LOL Cats... stupid cats
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

tetsujin wrote:
Your grammar is a bit of a letdown.
So, not a 10/10 review from Kern?
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!
eBay: gargoyle1967

Post by gargoyle67 »

Great graphics\atmosphere vs **** gameplay imho
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Sounds like a 10/10 tech demo but a stretch to call it a game.

I had been secretly thinking at the back of my mind, 'okay those scores are especially impressive, maybe this will be a title that proves me wrong about cinemups'. :roll:
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

markedkiller78 wrote:
tetsujin wrote:
Your grammar is a bit of a letdown.
So, not a 10/10 review from Kern?

Oh ****! I forgot Kernow was working for the grammar police :cry: .

I will not let it happen again on you're :problem: patch. I'm going to give you a grammar uppercut when I see you on Saturday! :awe:
Last edited by tetsujin on June 21st, 2013, 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

:wtf:
Emulation's nice when done well
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

kernow wrote:stunning what they can get out of the PS3.

Maybe this is what they ment when they talked about the emotion engine in the PS3.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
tetsujin
Hello, I say

Post by tetsujin »

kernow wrote:That was the ps2 :awe:
:( :( :cry:

I'm in a last generation haze over here! :awe:
LOL Cats... stupid cats
Cadpipe
Please Continue...

Post by Cadpipe »

gargoyle67 wrote:Great graphics\atmosphere vs **** gameplay imho
Just like the metal gear series that everyone loves :eh:
It's all in the reflexes!
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!
eBay: gargoyle1967

Post by gargoyle67 »

That's another series I couldn't get into.
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
LoRez

Post by LoRez »

tetsujin wrote:
kernow wrote:stunning what they can get out of the PS3.

Maybe this is what they ment when they talked about the emotion engine in the PS3.
Grammar,and now spelling :awe: ;)
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

77% done. I don't want this to end :(
Ex_Mosquito
Please Continue...
Initials: MPS

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

I'm still waiting for my mate to finish this so I can borrow his PS3 and a copy of the game. Pretty interested to play this now, even though I'm pretty sure I won't like it. I'm gonna give it a good go, though.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CPS2
Street Fighter

Post by CPS2 »

I've finished it. :awe:
Leaves it nicely open for a sequel on PS4? :think:
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Finished it. Loved every second. To be honest the game doesn't do anything particularly new, (it has as much in common with MGS as it does Uncharted) but it does two things exceptionally well: 1. The environments are vast and ridiculously detailed, you can practically smell them, you're with the characters every step of their journey and 2. The game boasts one of the most compelling and mature narratives I've ever seen in a video game. I really came to care for Ellie, unlike Elizabeth from Bioshock for example. It's also one of the best sounding games I've ever played. These things combined make it utterly engrossing, a first class piece of cinematic entertainment. If you demand old school gameplay depth and puzzles it might not be your thing but it sets the bar for 21st century gaming. My only gripe is I was expecting it to be scary and it's not at all, perhaps deliberately so but still, I like games that make me jump and the infected only make up about 1/4 of the enemies you face. Hard to argue with anyone who thinks this is a 10 though, purely for the experience.

Bring on the sequel.
Cadpipe
Please Continue...

Post by Cadpipe »

SuperPang wrote:Finished it. Loved every second. To be honest the game doesn't do anything particularly new, (it has as much in common with MGS as it does Uncharted) but it does two things exceptionally well: 1. The environments are vast and ridiculously detailed, you can practically smell them, you're with the characters every step of their journey and 2. The game boasts one of the most compelling and mature narratives I've ever seen in a video game. I really came to care for Ellie, unlike Elizabeth from Bioshock for example. It's also one of the best sounding games I've ever played. These things combined make it utterly engrossing, a first class piece of cinematic entertainment. If you demand old school gameplay depth and puzzles it might not be your thing but it sets the bar for 21st century gaming. My only gripe is I was expecting it to be scary and it's not at all, perhaps deliberately so but still, I like games that make me jump and the infected only make up about 1/4 of the enemies you face. Hard to argue with anyone who thinks this is a 10 though, purely for the experience.

Bring on the sequel.
+1
It's all in the reflexes!
George
Please Continue...
Initials: GEO

Post by George »

I am gagging to play this but i have a boat load of console-steam-ps3 guff to get through fisrt arghhh! :lolno:
Up a bit stop, down a bit stop, left a bit stop FIRE Oh you hopeless bast. Thank you my names Bob monkhouse and this has been the Golden Shot.