Anyone stroking themselves over the PS4 launch announcement?

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
Neo'nate
eBay: fleebay
Initials: NJP

Re: Anyone stroking themselves over the PS4 launch announcem

Post by Neo'nate »

I mentioned this before but I have friends who work at Sony's London base, and in a recent conversation with someone higher up the ladder there, he told me that universally (across all Sony offices and chains of command who work on Playstation) Sony have been working really hard to address and fully understand the issues with the PS3 to ensure everyone in the company knows about mistakes made, so that for the PS4 the company is more united in its direction to aim to please/meet the needs of the user. But also, what I really liked in the conversation was that the words "hardcore gamer" were mentioned frequently. I think that there is lots of promise with the PS4 for sure.
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

i can only devote my time to one console this Christmas and before the announcement, I was looking more towards the PS4 but now, I am 100% onboard with it.

And I think its looks good.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

Neo'nate wrote:I mentioned this before but I have friends who work at Sony's London base, and in a recent conversation with someone higher up the ladder there, he told me that universally (across all Sony offices and chains of command who work on Playstation) Sony have been working really hard to address and fully understand the issues with the PS3 to ensure everyone in the company knows about mistakes made, so that for the PS4 the company is more united in its direction to aim to please/meet the needs of the user. But also, what I really liked in the conversation was that the words "hardcore gamer" were mentioned frequently. I think that there is lots of promise with the PS4 for sure.
this^
being from Liverpool I know a few people from a few levels of Sony (a few of them are over in LA now) and this is pretty much their mantra right now.
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Can either of you give an example of such changes?
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Post by skykappah »

Even if Microsoft abandon all their negative elements, I'm still going PS4 only. They tried to screw their customers. There is no going back to that.
Loving robots since the 80's.
tetsujin
Hello, I say
eBay: kukki_86
Initials: AC.

Post by tetsujin »

skykappah wrote:Even if Microsoft abandon all their negative elements, I'm still going PS4 only. They tried to screw their customers. There is no going back to that.

Exactly! Its like being punched in the face and then told 'sorry' by the person who has done it, as if thats gonna make you forget! :D

**** you microsoft and your stupid **** green game boxes.
LOL Cats... stupid cats
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

pubjoe wrote:Can either of you give an example of such changes?
not that I can talk about on an open forum no. :P

the operating system for one was a huge step for them since PS2/3 has never been an easy platform to develop for. That scares away a lot of the smaller niche studios. Sony are very proud of this fact.
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cRacKh0rN
Custom rank pending return
eBay: thecrunchieone
Initials: DAB

Post by cRacKh0rN »

skykappah wrote:Even if Microsoft abandon all their negative elements, I'm still going PS4 only. They tried to screw their customers. There is no going back to that.
Although I am really not happy with their decisions and will boycott the Xbox One myself, I can see that there is an element of helping the developers in regards to the game fees. The smaller studios will benefit greatly from the extra profits and it may help keep them afloat. Alas, this will also allow the EA's of the world to continue to rape us.
Let us not forget that Steam implemented similar DRM for PC users many years ago and doesn't even allow game transfers.

Still, the privacy concerns with Kinect 2, the always on connection and the 24 hour authentication are simply absurd and I think they may back track a little after Sony's news.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Neo'nate wrote:I mentioned this before but I have friends who work at Sony's London base, and in a recent conversation with someone higher up the ladder there, he told me that universally (across all Sony offices and chains of command who work on Playstation) Sony have been working really hard to address and fully understand the issues with the PS3 to ensure everyone in the company knows about mistakes made, so that for the PS4 the company is more united in its direction to aim to please/meet the needs of the user. But also, what I really liked in the conversation was that the words "hardcore gamer" were mentioned frequently. I think that there is lots of promise with the PS4 for sure.
lets hope that hardcore gamer will have nothing to do with fifa type games and get back to decent different type games ,also no more call of duties either :problem:
ms = aimed at a general audience to control the sitting room why not use a different device ,i cant see none gamers being too interested at that price
ps =price seems good and the talk so far is all good and it seems to be a games machine :awe: :thumbsup:

wii u= will probably drop price closer to the time of the release of these and regain some market .....i still want one for the maybe 1/2 games ..

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

cRacKh0rN wrote:
Although I am really not happy with their decisions and will boycott the Xbox One myself, I can see that there is an element of helping the developers in regards to the game fees. The smaller studios will benefit greatly from the extra profits and it may help keep them afloat. Alas, this will also allow the EA's of the world to continue to rape us.
Let us not forget that Steam implemented similar DRM for PC users many years ago and doesn't even allow game transfers.

Still, the privacy concerns with Kinect 2, the always on connection and the 24 hour authentication are simply absurd and I think they may back track a little after Sony's news.
Yeah it's all moving to user rights on account instead of disk. That goes for all media. Sony are just taking their free punch by moving to it slower. Who can blame them? It's like Google hyping Flash as an Android selling point after Apple scrapped it.

Eventually it won't seem so bad when it does. It's worked pretty well (eventually) elsewhere.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

geotrig wrote:
lets hope that hardcore gamer will have nothing to do with fifa type games and get back to decent different type games ,also no more call of duties either :problem:
ms = aimed at a general audience to control the sitting room why not use a different device ,i cant see none gamers being too interested at that price
ps =price seems good and the talk so far is all good and it seems to be a games machine :awe: :thumbsup:

wii u= will probably drop price closer to the time of the release of these and regain some market .....i still want one for the maybe 1/2 games ..
"Hardcore gamer" is meaningless nonsense. What does it mean? You've played all the COD and GTA games to death? That's why I'm interested in what Sony actually intends to change because statements like "do more for the hardcore gamer" just sound like marketing drivel.

Developer accessibility is a big one. Entry needs to be about a hundred times cheaper for starters.

The only "big" games I have even a passing interest in are from Nintendo. You know, that videogame company.
skykappah
One of dese bad boys

Post by skykappah »

cRacKh0rN wrote:

I understand. I am cheering for the freedom more than saving money. I buy new 99% of the time anyway. But at the end of day, I'd like my purchases to be worth something in the end.
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

pubjoe wrote: The only "big" games I have even a passing interest in are from Nintendo. The videogame company.
^ this :awe: i only want to play 3 games at the mometn and 2 are on the wii u,its not a mind blowing machine but it does what it does nicely pity teh games are few and far between but for the price i could nearly live with it.....ibought the gamecube for 2 /3 games as well

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

I'm genuinely pleased that a lot of you feel the same way about the large franchises such as COD and Battlefield.
I was starting to think my disdain for them was due to my age :) Let's hope that we get some great indie titles on Sony's new box.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

Nintendo well, Shigeru Miyamoto, made an incredible number of AAA+ characters & titles, Halo (based on the popularity of the franchise) is the only thing that's come close in the last 10 years to a AAA+ character.

Sony have never managed to come close.

I think that Sony are ahead this time around and that PS+ was a game changer for them add to that, they are saying all the right things (which is easy, wait to see what idiocy the MS court come out with & go in the opposite direction). PS4 is cheaper & there are more positives, but FFS there are no interesting games yet.

Both Sony & MS wan't more than a video game share of your money. I have no issue with that per say, but I've never been a fan of their ludicrous DL content pricing.

Retail game £20, DL £30 :palm:
skykappah
One of dese bad boys

Post by skykappah »

cRacKh0rN wrote:I'm genuinely pleased that a lot of you feel the same way about the large franchises such as COD and Battlefield.
I was starting to think my disdain for them was due to my age :) Let's hope that we get some great indie titles on Sony's new box.
You are not alone! Sick of innovation killing games like COD. Just like how I hold WOW and Sims partially responsible for killin PC gaming.
fagin

Post by fagin »

TBH though I suspect we all realise that technology advances are only part of the end game. I can still pick up a current crop 360 or PS3 game and think "it looks very nice" and then pick up a current crop PC game, utilising a 30" 2.5k resolution, powered by an i7 CPU, gigs of RAM and xfire HD7970 GFX cards. Sure it looks better than the console equivalent, but it hardly makes me cream my pants..... although I've personally started to move back (more so than previous) to PC gaming.

I think we've reached a plateaux on what benefits tech can give us... it always been about the games though, rather than the hardware in reality.

It's quite interesting that MS put quite a bit of effort into standing by the current 360 moving forward, so it does beg the question, what's the point in the next gen at the moment.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Exactly. Better graphics aren't a killer feature anymore.
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

pubjoe wrote: "Hardcore gamer" is meaningless nonsense. What does it mean? You've played all the COD and GTA games to death? That's why I'm interested in what Sony actually intends to change because statements like "do more for the hardcore gamer" just sound like marketing drivel.
not shoving the wand or kinect down peoples throats is one thing that relates to 'the hardcore gamer'

honestly never been a big fan of sony and if I had to say pick a side I would of been xbox since I have always had one. But the Xbone is just retarded. I use joypad and sticks I dont want anything to do with wavey hand at all.
cRacKh0rN

Post by cRacKh0rN »

pubjoe wrote:Exactly. Better graphics aren't a killer feature anymore.
Although I would be lying if I didn't admit to getting a bit of a horn on for the tree and leaf detail on the Battlefield trailer :D