GCW Zero

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!
eBay: gargoyle1967

Re: GCW Zero

Post by gargoyle67 »

Wouldn't have minded seeing mame comparison with some of the more processor demanding games, Good idea about installing into a cab for a turn key solution provided the video can be hacked to rgb easily, Would have made my Bartop a lot more hassle free to build :problem:
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

cools wrote:Has my backing now too.

This'll get some :rolleyes: but the specifications mean that you could install this in a cab with very little trouble. If you wanted to. And it'd beat the pants off any of the Chinese multigame boards.
I wonder how you'd do that though, hacking the video feed to the screen to JAMMA? It does look like a nice little machine though.
opt2not
eBay: n/a
Initials: OPT

Post by opt2not »

emphatic wrote:I wonder how you'd do that though, hacking the video feed to the screen to JAMMA? It does look like a nice little machine though.
The unit has an HDMI (mini port) out, so getting it to run on a JAMMA cabinet would be the same as any console -- via converter like a UVC. The trick will be the controls. Being that it's open-sourced, there could be a homebrew scene to support the various "multi" interfaces. Perhaps the KADE guys, akishop PS360+, or cthulu boards, could update support for it? :think:

Also looks like there's a "TV out" via mini-jack, which I'm assuming is s-video quality?
http://www.gcw-zero.com/images/photos/top.png
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

Would be cool with a breakout cable kit for it. :awe: I've been looking hard for a console that can run emulation flawless that has VGA out, but only J-Tagged 360 seem to do this. :(
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

opt2not wrote:
emphatic wrote:I wonder how you'd do that though, hacking the video feed to the screen to JAMMA? It does look like a nice little machine though.
The unit has an HDMI (mini port) out, so getting it to run on a JAMMA cabinet would be the same as any console -- via converter like a UVC. The trick will be the controls. Being that it's open-sourced, there could be a homebrew scene to support the various "multi" interfaces. Perhaps the KADE guys, akishop PS360+, or cthulu boards, could update support for it? :think:

Also looks like there's a "TV out" via mini-jack, which I'm assuming is s-video quality?
http://www.gcw-zero.com/images/photos/top.png
It's the other way around - it has USB-OTG so it's a matter of getting the GCW to work with the interface, not the interface working with the GCW.

As for video the UVC is one way, but I was actually thinking a HDMI>VGA cable but running in 15k... May be possible, may not be.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

cools wrote:It's the other way around - it has USB-OTG so it's a matter of getting the GCW to work with the interface, not the interface working with the GCW.

As for video the UVC is one way, but I was actually thinking a HDMI>VGA cable but running in 15k... May be possible, may not be.
[/quote]
Durp, you're right!
Most of those control interfaces have PC (windows, and sometimes OSX - like the ps360+) support, so if there is a possibility of getting drivers for this linux-based device to recognize them, then we're set!

Same goes with VGA -> 15khz display...as long as someone builds a Soft-15khz equivalent, then you wouldn't need another converter device. It depends on the GPU in this thing, and whether it'd be able to produce a 15khz output. I know that some modern GPUs on some PC graphics cards can't...
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

In an ideal world all you'd need is a USB J-PAC and a couple of cables. And an audio amp. Why on earth that's still not been added to the J-PAC I don't know.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

When is my card charged?
If this project is successfully funded, your card will be charged on Monday Jan 28, 7:30pm EST, along with all the other backers of this project.
I hesitated at this point.

This might sound stupid but I'm bound to forget about the order by that date - or at least forgotten to update the payment with new card details.

I don't even like that online orders or pre-orders only charge on delivery, let alone when it's a year away.

[edit] Ah ****. Backed. :awe:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

2013 is this year! :palm:
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

:clap:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

:lol: :palm:

Two Months seems like an ambitious turnaround time. I just looked on the open pandora forums and some people say they are still waiting on pre-orders made in 2009. I'm glad I cancelled that one.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Indeed. The Pandora was nice as a concept but I really feel they tried to squeeze too much in and none of it really came out as well as it could've been if it'd been kept simple. It turned out massively ugly as well.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

I'm not too familiar with the Pandora, did they have a successful prototype phase before trying to go mass?
This might sound noobish, but one of the things I like about the Zero is that they are able to show actual working production units (the SE versions), and have testimonies from those early adopters of it being a great unit.
I really hope this is enough to persuade people to jump on the kickstarter so it goes through to fruition.
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!

Post by gargoyle67 »

I thought the Pandora was a great little machine the only thing it suffered from was the small screen syndrome, Processor could have been a little quicker too, Which is why they did a faster special ed one.
"Yeah lets all get ponys instead, wait no lol trendy cabs" Err I think you meant Ponies didn't you ?
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

The emulation does look ace on this. Just about every other emulation device I have had one problem or another but this really does look great.

One day in and 10% of the target has been reached, I really hope they get the full amount.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Great in concept and I love clamshell designs for pocketability, but it never looked like a finished product :problem: I preordered it in the first round and eventually cancelled after the two dozen release delays...

The most appealling part for me was Amiga emulation, but it seems that only now that the emulator developers are making things fire-and-forget with regards to compatibility. A bsnes approach for a bog standard A500 as a start would be amazing.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

11% :awe:

First time I've used kickstarter. I like how the page refreshes automatically in the background :awe:
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

12% :awe:

Okay, I'm not going to post on every percentage rise but it's nice to see it moving :D

Yeah, the auto refresh is pretty cool. I keep flicking back to the tab every now and then and seeing the total rise 8-)
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

12.355% :awe:

Wants to move up a bit quicker doesn't it? :think:

Someone buy the $5000 package.
gargoyle67
The movie topic guy!

Post by gargoyle67 »

18 Days to go and they need $114,000 odd can't see this being green lit tbh :eh: