Super Nintardbros!

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Re: Super Nintardbros!

Post by thegreathopper »

SuperPang wrote: December 18th, 2019, 5:35 pm ESP Ra De Psi is out on the Japanese e-shop.

Nice, hoping to pickup a boxed one from HK.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

The New 3DS circle pad really isn't good, is it? I remember the original 3DS one was alright. Just get angry trying to use this, it's far too slippery. Pushes the dpad into awkward position too.
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

Yo Guys,

Really want to play Snes Zelda this year, but I would like a handheld solution for playing it.

I initially wanted to get a SupaBoy, especially when they fixed the 16:9 only issue with the newest model (SupaBoy SFC).

I do like the idea of playing my own cart, not really bothered that it looks a bit clunky.

However, the screen is not great, plus they are like £120 (maybe a bit less).

For not much more I could get a Switch Lite - where I have also only found out that there are Snes games with the online subscription, including Zelda! Also as a big Animal Crossing fan, there is a new version of that out in a couple of months, and also there is Katamari.

Let''s not forget STG's, and here is my question. For the normal Switch, you have that special adapter that allows you to play in TATE, so whilst I can't get that for the Lite, do any of you guys play STG's on the Lite, if so how -- do you like prop it up and use another controller, or is it possible even to use the left d pad and buttons (that would be really unwieldy right)?

This is doable on the Wonderswan just fine.

[Wonderswan doth Roketh!]
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

We chatted about this since your post, but I’d recommend either the VC version on your 3DS or the GBA version on your micro.

I’m not sure how the GBA version’s “improvements” and cropping effect the original LTTP, so mentioning it here for anyone else to comment.
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

I received a Dragon Injector over the weekend:

There's a few more pictures in the spoiler below:

The Dragon Injector is a project by a Canadian guy 'MatinatorX' who's pretty much developed and produced the whole thing single handedly along with a little software help by some of the guys in the community. It's been in development approx 18 months and has gone through a series of design iterations. This is pretty much the first public release and it's version 19!

The Dragon Injector is a payload injector to enable running custom firmware. Payload injectors are nothing new and have been around since late 2018. Payloads can also be injected via a PC or android phone. The beauty of the DI is that it fits in the game card slot and so you don't need to carry additional dongles around and/or a USB cable. It also has a RCM jig which clips into the cap and saves carrying one of those around with you too.

I've been following the project on GBATemp] and on discord and I've really enjoyed following along with the progress. There's been a few challenges along the way but I can't fault how MatinatorX has approached or handled any of it. The 'game cart' cases were 3D printed by MatinatorX from resin. Its the first 3D resin printed object I've seen in the flesh and the quality of the printing is amazing. There has been some issues with some of the retaining clip breaking on some of the V19 shells so MatinatorX is working on a revised design to ship out to those affected. For V20 he's looking to get the cases injection moulded. The dies for these will cost thousands but he's willing to stump up the cash to make the best product possible. He's truly a man after my own heart :hinthint:

Along with that, he's also working on a project called [DragonMMC].

This started as a project called Dragon Kicker to replace the OEM Switch kickstand with a replacement that could hold three MicroSD cards.

This then evolved to adding a PCB to the kickstand so that multiple MicroSD cards could be used and switched between. This has now evolved into DragonMMC:

Description from the GBATemp thread linked above:
What the heck is it? Well, DragonMMC is an internal modchip that replaces the stock MicroSD and NAND boards, snapping in place and adding a little slide switch that lets you choose between up to 3 MicroSD cards and/or NAND modules. This slide switch protrudes slightly from the original MicroSD card slot, while a replacement kickstand (formerly known as DragonKicker) houses the MicroSD cards themselves. Installation does not require any soldering or modification to the shell of the console, but does requires some disassembly, and as of right now removing the heat shield is needed for everything to fit nicely. The kickstand is still thin enough that using the standard dock poses no problems. Prototype PCBs are being made right now, and I hope to have some proper photos and proof of concept videos in the coming weeks!

Now, while the primary purpose of DragonMMC is to easily switch between NAND modules and MicroSD cards, it can also be used to inject payloads! To that end, I've made a USB interface board that, through the magic of 3M 9703 conductive tape, sticks to the USB test points and allows payload injection with zero soldering required. Please not though, that at this time this hasn't been tested, so keep your expectations in check, at least for now! As with the DragonInjector, payloads are chainloaded from your MicroSD card(s).

NAND chips can get pretty pricey though, and not everyone needs 3 of them, nor do they necessarily need a whole 256GB to work with. To that end, DragonMMC was created to be modular, with 3 universal NAND module slots available. An adapter module for the OEM NAND makes it easy to use, while extra NAND modules of 64GB and 256GB are being developed right now. The modules are snap-in and also do not require any soldering. As of now, the only caveat to using the OEM NAND is that it's so big it needs to be relocated!
Basically, it will allow you to have add two extra NANDS to the original NAND (three in total) and have a MicroSD card attached to each. All three NANDs/MicroSDs will be isolated from each other. This will allow you to run three installs, for example NAND 1 = Official Firmware, NAND 2 = Custom Firmware, NAND 3 = Android or Linux etc.

The whole project is really interesting and I love the potential use of 3M 9703 conductive 'Z axis' tape for the solderless install of the proposed additional injection functionality, that's something I've never seen before.

I'm really looking forward to following this project further and watching it come into fruition :awe:
bloodhokuto
eBay: coryoon

Post by bloodhokuto »

Seems like there won't be a Animal Crossing Switch special edition, so Lite owners might want to get these beauties:

Lite Pouch:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B083931F8J

Lite Case Cover:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B083935DLZ

My Fave, a Lite Shoulder Bag:
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B08392W5MS
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

FrancoB

Post by FrancoB »

1996 called, they want their styling back :awe:

I wanted a clear back shell for the DragonMMC install so I bought one by ExtremeRate. I had wanted some joycon shells that had a Dpad for a while too so I picked up some clear ones to match. The Dpad is quite concave but it's actually quite nice to use and a great improvement over the single buttons on the left joycon.

The heat shield needs removing to install the DragonMMC. It appears that it's not particularly effective/required as temps have only shown to have increaded by 2°C under heavy load. I would still like to use it though so I'm going to modify a spare heat shield to give some clearance and laser etch it.
:problem:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Apart from the transparent controls that looks good.
FrancoB

Post by FrancoB »

Yeah I'm not overly keen on the buttons/Dpad. I've contacted ExtremeRate to see if they sell coloured Dpads separately. If they do offer them I'll change out the Dpad and buttons.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

pubjoe wrote: January 5th, 2020, 5:36 pm We chatted about this since your post, but I’d recommend either the VC version on your 3DS or the GBA version on your micro.

I’m not sure how the GBA version’s “improvements” and cropping effect the original LTTP, so mentioning it here for anyone else to comment.
It was a long time ago but I did replay LTTP on the GBA, having spent a fair chunk of time on my mates SNES version as a teenager. Didn't know there were any changes, didn't notice extra cropping :lol:
bloodhokuto wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 10:57 pm Let''s not forget STG's, and here is my question. For the normal Switch, you have that special adapter that allows you to play in TATE, so whilst I can't get that for the Lite, do any of you guys play STG's on the Lite, if so how -- do you like prop it up and use another controller, or is it possible even to use the left d pad and buttons (that would be really unwieldy right)?

This is doable on the Wonderswan just fine.

[Wonderswan doth Roketh!]
Every single tated handheld bar the WS has been dreadful with its built in controls. Novelty factor, not worth using. Use a separate controller.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Fantasy Zone is out now if you didn't get it from the Japanese e-shop already. Shinobi also.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker
eBay: markedkiller78
Initials: MAL

Post by markedkiller78 »

I’m m addicted to cuphead. I played the first island on xbone at release, but never turn the Xbox or PS4 on any more.
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Battle Princess Madelyn just arrived from Limited Run Games. With no customs as it was shipped from a UK location! If thats standard now it makes them far more attractive buys.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

My Garegga box did too. Shipping wasn't expensive either ($28 for quite a heavy box).
geotrig
Potato!
eBay: ._.

Post by geotrig »

Interesting , although with UK leaving the eu I'll probably be in the same boat still :problem:

<trk>:I remember catching a big fat one and my friend said "throw it back in, that one already tastes like wood"
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

SuperPang wrote: January 25th, 2020, 1:33 pm My Garegga box did too. Shipping wasn't expensive either ($28 for quite a heavy box).
Garegga box :eh:
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

markedkiller78 wrote: January 25th, 2020, 4:17 pm Garegga box :eh:
For the PS4 release. Obvs it's sitting on a shelf unused.
markedkiller78
Pony fucker

Post by markedkiller78 »

That vinyl looks nice. I didn’t realise this got a physical release :palm:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider

Post by cools »

Get yourself on all the small run publisher mailing lists.