Super Nintardbros!

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions
Re: Super Nintardbros!

Post by pubjoe »

I completely agree on the soundtrack, and I like having 'immersion breaking' reward moments where I can save and quit all chuffed. It doesn't have to be a rule I suppose, I've enjoyed playing Minecraft with my kids. But I was stupidly hoping the next game might try to mix the style with more traditional music and dungeons.

Most people love this direction for Zelda. And honestly, I've not played enough to say I don't. What harm could music do though? :(

I get very intimidated by ventures that feel too big. :whoopsie:
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

I think its the lack of a soundtrack that did a lot for me. I played through Skyward Sword not long ago and by the end of it was wishing the music would shut up. I've had the same experience with OoT and various other entries.

For me, the best traditional Zelda games are the Oracles.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Post by SuperPang »

The soundtrack worked well with BOTW and its Studio Ghibli vibe, but it's a bit understated and nondescript isn't it. Most games hit you in the feels with some nostalgic melodies. The most you get here is link whistling during the seemingly endless cooking.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken
eBay: ⸨◺_◿⸩

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

SuperPang wrote: July 5th, 2023, 10:43 pm Nintendo
SuperPang wrote: July 5th, 2023, 10:43 pm is
SuperPang wrote: July 5th, 2023, 10:43 pm depressing.
Emulation's nice when done well
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

I’ve still not quite finished BOTW and was just bored when I stopped playing. I tried really hard to like it but the uninspiring dungeons, glass weapons and cooking killed it for me. It could’ve been reskinned and I’d never have guessed it’s a Zelda game.

I’ve no interest in playing TOTK at all. Playing massive sandbox games is about as appealing to me as watching endless seasons of US dramas like the Walking Dead.

LTTP, Link’s Awakening and Oracles (as one game) would be my top 3 Zelda and LBW my favourite modern(ish) Zelda. I’ve a soft spot for Switch Link’s Awakening too.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

An exemplary selection. :clap:
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

crunchywasp wrote: July 6th, 2023, 9:42 pmLTTP, Link’s Awakening and Oracles (as one game) would be my top 3 Zelda and LBW my favourite modern(ish) Zelda. I’ve a soft spot for Switch Link’s Awakening too.
Sales according to VGCharts:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 4.61 million
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening / DX - 3.83 million / 2.22 million
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Ages - 3.99 million
Total - 14.65 million

+ The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 4.24 million
Total - 18.89 million

+ The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch - 6.08 million
Combined Total with bonus additions - 24.97 million

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31.51 million

We're done for :(
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Post by crunchywasp »

Wow :(
cools
Armed Police Buttrider
eBay: hordarian
Initials: CLS

Post by cools »

Whatever it was, they nailed it. I know a fair few people who have a Switch in the house for their kids to use, where the adults had deliberately and exclusively played BOTW and are now onto TOTK.

I'm the one with gaming equipment strewn about the place and not much time to actually play, and they've sunk hundreds of hours into Zelda.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

crunchywasp wrote: July 7th, 2023, 8:56 amWow :(
M1K is koming to the Switch. :whoopsie:
MrSandman
eBay: Not yet, not trading yet
Initials: NOR

Post by MrSandman »

SuperPang wrote: July 5th, 2023, 10:43 pm Apparently Nintendo aren’t considering a new F-Zero due to the success of MK8.
That's a shame. Loved GX on the GC as well as WaveRace.
SuperPang wrote: July 5th, 2023, 10:43 pm In fact they’re not even looking at MK9 because people are still buying and playing what is essentially a Wii U game. Perfect business sense, but it’s bloody depressing.
The Wii U debacle seemes to have taught them a lesson they take too serious.
While the N64 wasn't a success either, I feel it had some strong titles: Turok, Starfox, Perfekt Dark, Banjo Kazooie. It's all Mario nowadays. Innovation seems to be taking place somewhere else.
"Hans, I've just noticed something."
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

You forgot Wave Race, 1080, Mario Kart, F zero and the amazing Excitebike, the N64 has my favourite racing games which I don’t have been bettered.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

N64 was a success. Nintendo sold tons of them.
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

A family member had an N64 on Christmas day, I never owned one but got to play all the greats by proxy. Was a good system with a **** controller imo. Those things always sanded themselves down at the analog stick and would always break from grinding plastic. I remember the graphics were good but always blurry compared to my Sega Saturn. After a couple years I noticed there were just no games besides Nintendo stuff, Killer Instinct Gold was probably the game I played the most, but yet again the N64 controller was **** so it was a slog. But I swear normies love N64 so much it's like a cult movie now, Nintendo could rerelease that system with like 10 of the best carts and sell millions instantly
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

NASguy wrote: July 10th, 2023, 2:55 am A family member had an N64 on Christmas day, I never owned one but got to play all the greats by proxy. Was a good system with a **** controller imo. Those things always sanded themselves down at the analog stick and would always break from grinding plastic. I remember the graphics were good but always blurry compared to my Sega Saturn. After a couple years I noticed there were just no games besides Nintendo stuff, Killer Instinct Gold was probably the game I played the most, but yet again the N64 controller was **** so it was a slog. But I swear normies love N64 so much it's like a cult movie now, Nintendo could rerelease that system with like 10 of the best carts and sell millions instantly
I absolutely hate the N64 pad, always have. It's continually ruined the whole experience for me as the n64 does have some brilliant games, just the pad is an absolute roadblock.

Have you ever seen the 3rd party mini pad Hori released years ago? I picked one up a while back and it's absolutely transformative. The controller the console should have had from the getgo.
hori.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

I'm far from a normie, and love the system. I also don't mind the controller. Had one of those compact Hori's but sold it. The sticks in my original controllers are all still in great condition as I don't play Mario Party or let anyone else touch them. :awe:

The best MK is on the N64. :whoopsie:
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

I think i hate everything about the N64. **** framerate, absymal viewdistances, blurry textures.
o1s1n
eBay: astro_oisin

Post by o1s1n »

arcnl wrote: July 10th, 2023, 1:22 pm I think i hate everything about the N64. **** framerate, absymal viewdistances, blurry textures.
It does have Starfox 64 and Sin & Punishment so there are redeeming qualities there somewhere under all that Vaseline blur!

You can actually get a nice deblur mod fitted to it too. Actually funny story, I bought a modded n64 a few years back and I didn't realise it actually had a deblur mod switch on the bottom.

Was connecting up a DD system underneath and couldn't figure out why it was so difficult to attach. Eventually got it attached but heard a popping sound. Took the DD back off again saw that I'd broken the deblur switch that I didn't even know was there :lol:
NASguy

Post by NASguy »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote: July 10th, 2023, 1:08 pmThe best MK is on the N64. :whoopsie:
My favorite MK is the Dreamcast port, I think it's based on MK4. If you're talking about MK Trilogy, every version after the PSX one was a port of the PSX one (or the PC one). I can't remember much about those games but I wonder which one ran best, I think the PC version was actually the best. The N64 version had cut characters.

KI Gold is swag as ****, it's like owning a KI2 PCB. I always had dreams of bulding a couple custom arcade sticks for that back in the day but it was way too much trouble for one game. Funny I bet there are controller converters now than do that easily.

That Hori pad looks great, shame about the d-pad though seems unusable in that position.
LEGENOARYNINLIA
Kameo-ken

NASguy wrote: July 10th, 2023, 11:48 pm If you're talking about MK Trilogy, every version after the PSX one was a port of the PSX one (or the PC one).
Nope. The N64 version is its own beast with reworked mechanics, which makes it play vastly different to the others. For example both crouching kicks were buffed, so they have more uses as pokes in different situations to stop run jab rushdowns and neutral jump kicks. It's also faster than any version of UMK3 or PS1/SS/PC Trilogy. It's a wild game in 3vs3 mode. Makes the other versions look tame and boring.
I can't remember much about those games but I wonder which one ran best, I think the PC version was actually the best. The N64 version had cut characters.
The klassik kharakters that were kut are all pretty much broken in PS1/SS/PC Trilogy. I'm glad they're not in the N64 version.
KI Gold is swag as ****, it's like owning a KI2 PCB. I always had dreams of bulding a couple custom arcade sticks for that back in the day but it was way too much trouble for one game. Funny I bet there are controller converters now than do that easily.
KI Gold has terrible slowdown. But it was fun back in the day. I have a custom stick for the N64 with a Korean lever. Mainly for MKT, but I've played some KI Gold with it. There are no proper wired converters for the N64, as the market for N64-controller-whiners demands wireless analog support and nothing else. Even Brook backed out from making one some years ago.