Favourite and/or most disappointing home arcade ports

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'
eBay: crunchywasp
Initials: MAK

Re: Favourite and/or most disappointing home arcade ports

Post by crunchywasp »

I agree - Up for jump is awkward as hell. C64 Bubble Bobble was ace though
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Best Amiga joystick:

pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

All those (non Snes) Street Fighter ports were terrible. Those were the days where we were used to having to put up with crappy ports like that.

Rainbow Islands, New Zealand Story, Shadow of the Beast, Megademos and Deluxe Paint had me sold me on the Amiga. **** expensive it was too. Looking back, I feel guilty that my Mum bought it.

This is completely based off biased memory, but I seem to remember the Spectrum being higher res than the C64, even though it had a lot less colours. C64 always seemed blockier.
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Speccy rules ok.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

crunchywasp wrote:Image
I still have a couple of those.
crunchywasp wrote:I really liked some stick with a green body, pink stick :oops: , and yellow buttons.
You mean this:
I have one of those too. :awe:
crunchywasp wrote:Everyone I knew had a QuickShot of some description :think:
I always favoured these, which I used mostly on the Amiga:

I wore quite a few of those out playing SWOS. I still have four left, if I remember correctly. They're "archived" away at my previous abode.
ImageImageImageImage
pubjoe

Post by pubjoe »

Yeah I had that quickshot for the spectrum, and I believe my first EVER joystick was this one...

Squeaky things weren't they?

At one point I used a master system pad on the Amiga. Using scissors and Sellotape, I managed to hack the 2nd button to send an 'up' command (for jumping).
ikaruga007
eBay: dex511
Initials: PJN

Post by ikaruga007 »

pubjoe wrote:This is completely based off biased memory, but I seem to remember the Spectrum being higher res than the C64, even though it had a lot less colours. C64 always seemed blockier.
Man, you've unleashed the old demo coder in me :)

The C64 had a similar hi res mode with fewer colours (320x200, two colours per 8x8 pixel tiles, 16 colour palette). Fortunately without the spectrum signature bleed between bg and sprites.

But the multicolor mode was used more often for games since that allowed four colours per tile. In this mode, the horizontal resolution was halved (160x200) since two pixels were needed to represent a multicolour pixel.

Other "unofficial" modes can be achieved through clever manipulation of the VIC-chip (oh the lovely $d011 register), that allowed for even more colours (FLI etc) even in hi res (IFLI, SHI etc). But those are practically useless for games because they require critical timing with the raster every line.
Hewitson
Please Continue...
Initials: BJA

Post by Hewitson »

instant_classic wrote:I remember r-type always being decent on both c64 and amiga
The Amiga version is almost perfect. The C64 version would be great if it wasn't so buggy, more often than not it crashes during the game.
IDCHAPPY wrote:I never owned a c64
You've GOT to get yourself one!
instant_classic wrote:Now.... What was everyone's joystick of choice during the commodore era?
Wico Boss.
crunchywasp wrote:Everyone I knew had a QuickShot of some description
I used to joke that they were called QuickShot because the joystick broke before you'd finished your shot at the game.
pubjoe wrote:All those (non Snes) Street Fighter ports were terrible.
The megadrive version wasn't bad. The 6 button controller was certainly more suitable than the SNES controller.
crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

Hewitson wrote:
instant_classic wrote:I remember r-type always being decent on both c64 and amiga
The Amiga version is almost perfect. The C64 version would be great if it wasn't so buggy, more often than not it crashes during the game.
I've still a soft spot for the GameBoy version :awe:
Hewitson wrote:
The megadrive version wasn't bad. The 6 button controller was certainly more suitable than the SNES controller.
Despite the washed out colours and rubbish speech I really liked SCE & Super on the MD and played it more often than the SNES ones purely because of the controller. As far as pads go the 6 button MD pad was awesome for SF, second only to the Saturn pad IMO.
instant_classic
Actually Loves Take That
Initials: DAF

Post by instant_classic »

crunchywasp wrote:
Hewitson wrote:
I've still a soft spot for the GameBoy version :awe:
Hewitson wrote:
Despite the washed out colours and rubbish speech I really liked SCE & Super on the MD and played it more often than the SNES ones purely because of the controller. As far as pads go the 6 button MD pad was awesome for SF, second only to the Saturn pad.
I agree about the md port of sf2' the sound was garbage but the gameplay was ace. I must have owned nearly every port of sf2 when it was originally released and I'm still crap ap at it today.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

ikaruga007 wrote:
pubjoe wrote:This is completely based off biased memory, but I seem to remember the Spectrum being higher res than the C64, even though it had a lot less colours. C64 always seemed blockier.
Man, you've unleashed the old demo coder in me :)

The C64 had a similar hi res mode with fewer colours (320x200, two colours per 8x8 pixel tiles, 16 colour palette). Fortunately without the spectrum signature bleed between bg and sprites.

But the multicolor mode was used more often for games since that allowed four colours per tile. In this mode, the horizontal resolution was halved (160x200) since two pixels were needed to represent a multicolour pixel.

Other "unofficial" modes can be achieved through clever manipulation of the VIC-chip (oh the lovely $d011 register), that allowed for even more colours (FLI etc) even in hi res (IFLI, SHI etc). But those are practically useless for games because they require critical timing with the raster every line.
If ever there was a definitive answer^^ :awe:
Hewitson
Please Continue...
Initials: BJA

Post by Hewitson »

I forgot how funny the speech sounded on the Megadrive. This is **** hilarious! :lol:

crunchywasp wrote:During your visit you could reverse his evil honey trap and tell him you're a bit uncertain about spending an hour inside his box
instant_classic
Actually Loves Take That

:lol: the md speech was diabolical, but that 6 button pad was ace, the d-pad was soooooooo nice.
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

:lol: Never before or since has 'Hadoken, Hadoken, Hadoken' sounded so grating than it did on the MD

Did anyone ever have a 3DO with SSF2T? I always longed for a 3DO for that alone (there's nowt much else) but never had one.
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Post by IDCHAPPY »

crunchywasp wrote::lol: Never before or since has 'Hadoken, Hadoken, Hadoken' sounded so grating than it did on the MD

Did anyone ever have a 3DO with SSF2T? I always longed for a 3DO for that alone (there's nowt much else) but never had one.
I did, was a good version, shame most of the 3DO pads were horrendous :(
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

I've never even held one but they looked pretty 'orrible.

I like that they had a controller port in them so you could link a bunch together rather than have 4 ports or whatever on the console. Having never owned one I'm not sure whether or not that would just've been a tangly pain in the **** though?

I still think the original Panasonic (FZ-1 or something?) console itself looks fantastic
instant_classic
Actually Loves Take That

I remember playing road rash on a 3DO in dixons, it looked awesome at the time because of all the fmv etc..

Another game that I remember being a good port was Ivan iron man Stewart's: super off road challenge on the Amiga, now I freakin loved that game and the soundtrack was :awe:
IDCHAPPY
c***3
eBay: Arcadedreams2013
Initials: IDC

Post by IDCHAPPY »

RR on the 3DO was awesome, great music,action and some funny fmv scenes :)
mendo
Please Continue...

Post by mendo »

Haha sf2 on any 3 button control sucks, I remember back in the day you were the man if you could do a combo with a punch AND a kick,had to mash start to swap the buttons good times
crunchywasp
stompin' an' jumpin'

Post by crunchywasp »

instant_classic wrote: Ivan iron man Stewart's: super off road challenge on the Amiga :awe:
'twas **** awesome :awe: