Future Classics

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
gundarN
Officially Special
Initials: guN

Re: Future Classics

Post by gundarN »

Angry Birds makes normal people feel like gamers.
Gaming is cool now doncha know (all the hip kids are doing it), although I do all I can to keep it nerdy. Damn you Apple.
chubsta
I'm getting too old for this shit...
eBay: chubsta

Post by chubsta »

Regarding 'future classics' - well, i have a ps3, 360, wii, dsi/3ds, iPhone, iPad - i have the lot, and yet the only system i have played for any length of time recently is my Vectrex, there hasn't been a game in the last few years that has really 'grabbed' me, the last ones i have played all the way through being Beyond Good and Evil and WindWaker on the GC.

As the industry has grown more corporate and 'safe' then all the heart and soul has gone out of gaming, with only a few small developers making stuff i like - Super Meat Boy on XBL being one of the few shining stars. Until recently i subscribed to 'Games tm' magazine, but realised that every month was the same round of 'exclusives' about upcoming FPS and driving games, with a few 'moves as games' thrown in, in the end i wasn't even opening the issues, just putting them to one side.

Gaming is dead now i think....
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

The last Games tm I remember reading had a review of Farcry. Most of the review was a wet dream about a theoretical "perfect game" having hairline detail, unlimited drawing distance and interactive everything. IE: Pong would be a 0 out of 10 game and Farcry would be 8 or 9ish by comparison. What a load of ****.

I don't think gaming is dead whatsoever though. It's now evolved like music and film has. The most popular stuff is normally ****; the best stuff is usually too personal to be widely considered classic; and just like music and film, there are still after all these years, some absolute gems to your taste if you dig just a little.
gundarN
Officially Special
Initials: guN

Post by gundarN »

There needs to be a better ****-filter.
I gave up subscribing to Edge just before Christmas after reading it since issue 1 in 1993; their latest relaunch/restyle was atrocious. The magazine was turning into a "lifestyle" mag, whereas I just wanted to know about interesting games. I don't have a cool gaming lifestyle: I've got kids and a job. I did feel sad about stopping one of my gaming constants for so long, but I was just wasting money on it.

I need a reliable source to filter out all the frankly abysmal corporate crap and inform me about the sort of games I would like. This isn't one particular genre, as I like all kinds of games.

At the moment, I think Retro Gamer is the only magazine that I'm informed by (and even that's pushing it).

The analogy to games and music is fairly accurate, but I can listed to the radio and watch TV [almost] for free, so I can choose what to watch or listen to with very little financial or time expense.

I daresay there will be a website somewhere that has the information I'm looking for, I just don't realise where yet.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

You're so right about the **** filter and I can't think of an all round source of **** free news either. I'm quite a fan of Terry Cavanagh and VVVVVV, so I sometimes visit his blog. He often rounds up some of his favourite games of the past few Months and I like reading things like that. They're usually small experimental games, sometimes a bit farty, but it's one of many blog style sources where you can read about one person's opinions.

I've often thought wouldn't it be good to make a webzine which is all about playability - ignoring everything else as much as possible. But then I think more about it and realise it'd be a lot of effort for just another website about "some of my favourite things" that no one would ever read. Then I'd quickly lose heart and stop updating after 3 games, if that. I'd also need to find and play a lot of games - a lot - which would be another hitch.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

I surprised you stuck with Edge that long, I think the last one I bought was around 1999, it was disappearing up its own **** then
Ultron
Please Continue...

Post by Ultron »

I stopped buying Edge* cause I could find out stuff on the internet instead, not cause of a decrease in quality of the magazine. They have failed to keep up with the times by offering nothing that the internet can't.

*(years ago)
retrojc
Please Continue...
Initials: JSC

Post by retrojc »

In regards to future classics, you've got to take into account what games that from 20 years ago are still counted as classics within todays youth.With every game graphics are the first and most crucial part, if it looks **** now, then it's certainly going to be **** in years to come.

Of this generation the only future classic I can be certain of is Fallout 3 (opinion). Atlast in 10 years time, I know I'll wish to replay it. And that, I think is what a future classic comes down too. In regards to a agreeable census of games that defined a era... well that's not soo hard, theyre also the biggest selling games, well mostly.

Pong
Donkey Kong
Asteroids
Mario
Sonic 1
Goldeneye
Final Fantasy 7
Halo
Grand Theft Auto 3/Vice City/San Andreas all depending on age.

Games such as Halo 2/3/4/56/, Gears of War, Bioshock be classified much like what we now classify Tomb Raider(123) and Resident Evil's (123xxx) have done this generation. They are, and were great games but genre defining? No. Look great now? Not so much etc. Looking back to old games, very few will stand the test of time, as very few look good on a modern tv, almost all 3D ps1 era game slook horrid, same applied for PS2/DC etc.
thegreathopper
Geese's Bodyguard
eBay: thegreathopper
Initials: STV

Post by thegreathopper »

I am also going to cancel my Edge sub, It doesn't help that most new games are crap so I think they have run out of things to write about.

who plays all those 1st person war games, Are they not all the same?
Devil Soundwave
Doesn't go to eleven
eBay: DevilSoundwave

Post by Devil Soundwave »

I cancelled Edge last year as I think they have finally disappeared right up their own ****.
Neo Gold
eBay: neo$gold
Initials: N$G

Post by Neo Gold »

I stopped buying edge a long time ago..for similar reasons as above, also the mag got really expensive!!..
Hey, i still have my old issues & issue number one!..issue 3 was a decent read with 'Tech view' & the Supergun & pcb feature..great days back then..
I once remember being in 'Console Concepts' & listening to Colin selling a Gun set & Original Streetfighter 2 pcb to these guys, wow!! the pcb was around £350~400 they spoke & were working a special deal :)
WANTED! .. Any Tatty old candy cab!.
skykappah
One of dese bad boys
eBay: Skykappa

Post by skykappah »

Glad to see the Edge hate. I disliked it in it's first year. Different for the sake of being different. Pompous prima donnas.
Everybody scored you high? Well I'll score you low. Fancy reading the last quarter of the mag about courses and jobs? (Handy but still...)
It's like walking into an art museum where all you can do is read... and what you read was pretentious drivel along with compulsory bowler hat and man sock suspenders. Bored and spiteful? THEN READ EDGE!! BLOODY CILLIT BANG!!! KICK IN A KITTEN!!
Loving robots since the 80's.
backfield22
eBay: nosetackle99
Initials: MAT

Post by backfield22 »

retrojc wrote:Games such as Halo 2/3/4/56/, Gears of War, Bioshock be classified much like what we now classify Tomb Raider(123) and Resident Evil's (123xxx) have done this generation. They are, and were great games but genre defining? No. Look great now? Not so much etc. Looking back to old games, very few will stand the test of time, as very few look good on a modern tv, almost all 3D ps1 era game slook horrid, same applied for PS2/DC etc.
i've thought about this a lot over the last few years.

obviously, mainstream games are no longer what they used to be. the story-telling aspect of games has evolved immeasurably, but it's hard to know what will stand the test of time. what you say about PS1 3D games rings absolutely true and in 10 years time we will be clearly saying the same about current generation FPSs.

i have been emotionally hooked by many titles over the past few years. max payne 1 & 2, i think, are good examples for me. i loved the story behind those games, but the gameplay mechanics have been copied and bettered in the years since their release and the graphics just look plain shoddy now. i think i'm less willing to suspend disbelief. it's just not the same experience. i think many of our current generation games will suffer the same fate.

but for the time being, i'm looking forward to the third installment of mass effect with a rare sense of anticipation and excitement. much like people would anticipate the next harry potter book, i guess. gaming is far from dead. but it's definitely changing.
lost tiree, lost dutch.
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

i have been emotionally hooked by many titles over the past few years. max payne 1 & 2, i think, are good examples for me. i loved the story behind those games
Recently been playing through max payne 1 & 2 and XIII....still really love these games...they have stood the test of time, for me at least....

I actually think angry birds is a superbly simple, addictive game....from a generation of cinematically "over indulgent" 1st person shooters I think it's quite refreshing to see games like this...just my opinion...
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
Pete
Retired
eBay: arcave

Post by Pete »

Got home today to a new gamesTM on my doormat time to cancel that sub !

And clearout every issue since the start.