Hard Corps Uprising

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Hard Corps Uprising

Post by SuperPang »

This is the ****. Uber hard like it should be and the prettiest side scroller I've seen in a long while. Feels like Contra but with Arc Systems unmistakable character design and rawk music.
Bingo83
Please Continue...
Initials: KRS

Re: Hard Corps Uprising

Post by Bingo83 »

I am downloading it now, hope its as good as most reviews have suggested.
Check out my SoundCloud and my profile at House-Mixes for my latest DJ Mixes
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

SuperPang wrote: Feels like Contra
Does NOT feel like Contra. :think:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned.
SuperPang wrote: Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

I only played it a bit last night, felt like a soul-less Metal Slug to me :think:
wonderbanana
You can't polish a turd, but I can

Post by wonderbanana »

Tried the demo - don't like it :yawn:
markedkiller78 wrote:that's probably my best contribution to the forum to date "I am pluralising fanny"
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

skykid wrote:
SuperPang wrote: Feels like Contra
Does NOT feel like Contra. :think:
Well OK, I guess not, the dashing changes things somewhat. Feels like a fantastic reinvention of the franchise though.
majors

Post by majors »

Sounds like it's just too much of a challenge for you Euro-folks. I've been loving it- double jump, (air)dash, bullet deflect, weapon power-up and the art...it's Beautiful!

<Ok, not being able to change direction while crouching is annoying, but it's in the game>
Majors -=- Wedoca '18
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

majors wrote:Sounds like it's just too much of a boring bore, Zzzzzz....
Fixed :awe:
wombat
Initials: WBT

Post by wombat »

I only played one level atm; my main point of concern...the character walks to slow! Does anyone know if the gameplay speeds up when you progress?
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

wombat wrote:I only played one level atm; my main point of concern...the character walks to slow! Does anyone know if the gameplay speeds up when you progress?
I got gripes with this game. The character speed is one of them, and there are plenty of others. Arcade mode is bust for me, while Rising takes the edge off slightly but makes you feel like a pussy for playing it.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

kernow wrote:Five stars!
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

Surely you can't still be mad hype for this Pang, haven't the annoyances started setting in yet? :awe:
FrancoB
J+ member of the year finalist!
eBay: francosquashking
Initials: FRN

Post by FrancoB »

Managed to have 5 minutes on this this morning before work at 5am :awe:

I only managed to play part fo the first level but it seemed quite fun. The character speed was pretty annoying at first until I found the dash, I think it works quite nicely.

My only gripe with it in the whole 5 minutes I got to play it was not being able to turn around when crouched as previously mentioned.
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

skykid wrote:Surely you can't still be mad hype for this Pang, haven't the annoyances started setting in yet? :awe:
With frustration comes great satisfaction Skykid :awe: I love it. Yes, there are control decisions that seem sluggish but much like BC Rearmed, the game is designed around that, plus the game is expecting you to unlock the special moves that largely solve these problems in Rising mode. Arcade mode is more of an old school challenge for players who like to learn every inch of a level and every hidden power up. There's an awful lot of value for money here and the presentation is beyond sexy. More of this sort of thing please.
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

SuperPang wrote:
skykid wrote:Surely you can't still be mad hype for this Pang, haven't the annoyances started setting in yet? :awe:
With frustration comes great satisfaction Skykid :awe: I love it. Yes, there are control decisions that seem sluggish but much like BC Rearmed, the game is designed around that, plus the game is expecting you to unlock the special moves that largely solve these problems in Rising mode.
I agree, but I do feel Rising mode is a concessionary element. It's fun, but makes me feel guilty for not attacking Arcade mode simply cos it's the default. Also, after you accrue enough lives and health and power in Rising, it's not really enjoyable to die your way through a level just because you can.

Bold souls are the guys that tackle arcade mode by rote. That's a tough call for anyone. ;)

(I don't particularly enjoy Arcade mode BTW. Underpowered weaponry isn't what I consider fun.)
SuperPang
Master or universe

Post by SuperPang »

Underpowered weaponry isn't what I consider fun
It's harsh, but Contra always was. I like how the weapons don't run out of ammo and you can "hide" them when coming up to a hard bit. The way you level them up but lose them when you die is very shmup-esque.
Also, after you accrue enough lives and health and power in Rising, it's not really enjoyable to die your way through a level just because you can.
Still beats unlimited credits.
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Post by Akuma »

Tested it and liking it - will likely get it whenever it is for sale for cheap as a promotional offer :awe:
George
Please Continue...
Initials: GEO

Post by George »

Well ive just played the demo through like 4 times now back to back, i love contra from nes to present day, for me it does have it's annoynaces but they are the same annoyances you had back in the day say the snes version for example the same with a one kill hit etch, right pain in the **** but try again it will get better.

I find the more you play it the more you start to get better and the further you get, this is what most of the decent games were like back in the day, i remember finshing games like the snes ghouls and ghosts, really tough to start off but once your in the zone its all good :) i finished snes pilotwings aswell :awe:

8/10

I think the review given here is a fair one.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/revie ... rps/710917"
Up a bit stop, down a bit stop, left a bit stop FIRE Oh you hopeless bast. Thank you my names Bob monkhouse and this has been the Golden Shot.
skykid
1-ALL DOJ doesn't count.

Post by skykid »

SuperPang wrote:
Underpowered weaponry isn't what I consider fun
It's harsh, but Contra always was. I like how the weapons don't run out of ammo and you can "hide" them when coming up to a hard bit. The way you level them up but lose them when you die is very shmup-esque.
Also, after you accrue enough lives and health and power in Rising, it's not really enjoyable to die your way through a level just because you can.
Still beats unlimited credits.
Call me a traditionalist, but I prefer credit restarts than a 30 life maximum. :)

First thing I thought about the weapon loss was Gradius, except losing one here seems even more frustrating. It's a taste thing I suppose, but I've never played a Contra thats so initially confusing and deliberate in its goals to frustrate. Shattered Solider is hard, but it plays a totally different game to this.

Well ive just played the demo through like 4 times now back to back, i love contra from nes to present day, for me it does have it's annoynaces but they are the same annoyances you had back in the day say the snes version for example the same with a one kill hit etch, right pain in the **** but try again it will get better.

I find the more you play it the more you start to get better and the further you get, this is what most of the decent games were like back in the day, i remember finshing games like the snes ghouls and ghosts, really tough to start off but once your in the zone its all good i finished snes pilotwings aswell

8/10
Is that your score for the demo George? You might change your mind when you get to stage 2. ;)
Bingo83
Please Continue...
Initials: KRS

Post by Bingo83 »

SuperPang wrote:
skykid wrote: More of this sort of thing please.
There will only be more if people vote with their wallets and purchase it, I think if it gets to 800pts in the next few months people will jump on it.
Check out my SoundCloud and my profile at House-Mixes for my latest DJ Mixes