Best. Console. Ever

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.

Which holds the best memories for you?

NES/Famicom
8%
Master System
2%
PC Engine
5%
Mega Drive/Genesis
5%
Super NES/SFC
30%
Neo Geo
11%
Sega Saturn
10%
Sony Playstation
8%
Nintendo 64
2%
Sega Dreamcast
16%
Nintendo GameCube
No votes
Sony PlayStation 2
3%
Microsoft Xbox
No votes
Atari Jaguar
No votes
Other (CDI/3DO/etc)
2%

Total votes: 63
nem
Needs a custom rank

Re: Best. Console. Ever

Post by nem »

It's a tie between the Super Famicom and the Dreamcast

Five years ago I would have scoffed if someone placed the SFC over the Megadrive. Since then I've been slowly amassing a JPN cart collection and I'm always finding more titles to add to it. Long story short, my SFC collection is a lot more loved than my MD one.

Dreamcast I bought soon after it came out. Sega really hit their stride at that point. Great games one after another. A lot of them have now been ported but still many are best experienced in their original outings.

Again thinking back, five years ago I would have probably put the Saturn at the top, but I don't know, after getting a cab, the Saturn lost a lot of it's charm.
NeoStuey
Please Continue...
Location: Leaving the galactic system and taking a long journey to Iscandar, uchuu senkan Yamato!

Post by NeoStuey »

I voted for the Mega Drive as it was the first console I started to import games for back in the day with the Saturn following on from that, and then the Dreamcast, I had a whole lot of Sega love.

I would have voted for the PC-Engine but I've only owned my briefcase set up for just around 3 years, I wish I has owned one back then, it's fantastic with a vast array of titles. It's my current retro console of choice along with the Super Famicom I am enjoying a whole host of games I missed the first time around. :)
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher
eBay: N/A

Post by Lordstar »

im down the middle on snes or megadrive. I am going to vote MD becuase i owned one though.
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.karoshidrop.com its a work in progress
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

wow lots of saturn love. its not suprising since it is home to some of the best home ports of great arcade titles. but I doubt on any other forum you would see such love for the SS.
New ketsui tee avaliable for sale here http://tinyurl.com/5t8yrjr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John James Pacinelli
Loving SSFIV

Post by John James Pacinelli »

Lordstar wrote:but I doubt on any other forum you would see such love for the SS.
Aaaand that's why I love this forum Image
Vagina
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

I opend my hotmail to see this article today

http://tech.uk.msn.com/features/gallery ... geindex=10"

it was about technological breakthroughs which never quite made it. Along with the Sinclair C5 and the laser disc sits the sega saturn. Still they had the Mini disc up there too which i disagree is a failaure as it was rocking for a good few years and a while in to the existance of the Mp3 players current reign too.
HAWKXP
Please Continue...

Post by HAWKXP »

the sega satun for me too.

in comparison to the **** gray plastic thing that the ps1 was, the saturn looked sexy and still does, the saturn did everything and for its time it WAS well advanced for a console, it played VCD, CD AUDIO, PHOTO CD ....... ETC ....... where as the rival only played games and audio cds, what can i say, but a simple console for simple people.

best console everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 8-)
Checen Rebel
Please Continue...

Post by Checen Rebel »

The PSX and Sat both needed addon cards to play VCD. They both played pretty much the same formats - just the saturn had loads of amazing games whilst the psx only had a few.
dj_johnnyg
Loves CAVE

Post by dj_johnnyg »

MD as it was the 1st console I ever owned.

SF2 Champion Edition, and then Virtua Racing - **** superb
Snakes: They're like bits of rope, only angrier.
acidburn7683
Please Continue...

Post by acidburn7683 »

I voted SNES - it's a no-brainer :ugeek:
acidburn(7683)

"and then I replied, i'm not gonna kiss you now u've done that!"
almighty
Please Continue...

Post by almighty »

definitly snes 8-) (Super Metroid, Mario and Zelda)
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Gotta be the Saturn, more quality games than any other...sheer volume to quality ratio of games is incredible...start thinking of the best games PAL or NTSC you'll never stop... Burning rangers...nights...Panzer Dragoon saga...RS.......infinite almost.
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
thechop
Not as old as Ralph

Post by thechop »

Here's just a few Saturn shmups to be going on with... enjoy..

Arcade Gears: Gun Frontier Xing
Batsugun
Batsugun Banpresto (Toaplan original) The original manic shmup? Some seriously HUGE firepower and incredibly difficult gameplay...
Battle Garegga Raizing/Eighting 1988, fantastic superdetailed WWII shootie, cunningly crafted gameplay
Blastwind Tecnosoft Rare vertscroller with some split path gameplay. very manic and typical Technosoft...
Bokan To Ippatsu Doronboo Kanpekiban Banpresto
Capcom Generation 1: 194X Capcom Slightly measly pack of the WW2 shootemup series... where's 1941 and 19XX I want to know!!
Capcom Generation 3 Capcom
Detana! Twinbee - Yahoo Deluxe Pack Konami Pack of the Twinbees and Twinbee Yahoo, the hard to find arcade game...
Donpachi Atlus Fantastic manic vert scroller by Cave. Three hundred bullets a second!
Dodonpachi Atlus Excellent sequel to the above, even more manic than the first!
Game Paradise Jaleco 1997, very clever tour-de-force shooter set in an arcade
Gekirindan Taito Timetravel based vert scroller. Quite decent for a rainy day...
Guardian Force Success Very nifty tank shooter with weapons utilising the rotating turret
Gunbird Psikyo Very good semi-cute em up, lots of gameplay and top difficulty
Kingdom Grandprix, aka Shippu Mahou Daisakusen Raizing/Eighting 1994, brilliant little racing - shmup crossbreed!
Kyukyoku Tiger 2 Plus Naxat Soft Excellent early helicopter based Raiden em up
Rayforce
Rayforce Taito Best out of the trilogy, excellent manic vert scroller. (aka Galactic Attack & Layer Section)
Layer Section II, aka Raystorm Taito Slightly poorer [but still great] sequel to the above, done in polygons.
Planet Joker Naxat Soft
Radiant Silvergun Treasure The most AWESOME vert scroller ever created. A work of genius, and a must have!
Shienryu Warashi Typical vertscoller, not too bad but not too good either...
Skull Fang Data East 1997, unofficial sequel to Vapor Trail
Sonic Wings Special Mediaquest 1996
Soukyugerentai, aka Terra Diver Electronic Arts (developed by Eighting/Raizing ) The second best shmup on the Saturn. unfeasibly hard, excellent weapon system, and now so hard to find it's not funny.
Space Invaders Taito No introductions needed for this one.
Steam Hearts TGL "Slightly watered down in sexuality" version of the very rare hentai shooter on PCE CD...
Strikers 1945 Atlus (developed by Psikyo) World War 2 based shmup with lots of mecha (okay...)
Strikers 1945 II Atlus (developed by Psikyo) Sequel to the above, with more mecha and better gameplay...
Terra Cresta 3D Nichibutsu 1997, bleurgh
Twinkle Star Sprites ADK Brill puzzle inspired shmup. Attack you opponent by wasting chains of baddies!

Horizontal Scrolling
GAME TITLE COMPANY INFORMATION
Arcade Gears: 3 Wonders Xing
Cho Aniki Kyukyoku Otokonogyakushu (errr... just Choaniki) NCS/MASAYA Butchbloke shooter, carried on from the PCE CD series. Ack...
Cotton 2 Success Sequel of the SNES Cotton, still starring that really cute witch
Cotton Boomerang Success
Darius II Taito 1996, a sequel to Darius, not really worth it unless you're a big fan or a collector
Darius Gaiden Taito 1995, super cheap Darius, but has pretty graphics
Fantasy Zone Sega The original super cute horizontal scroller
Gokujyou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack Konami Twinpack of Paro and Ultimate Paro, very rare now, and highly recommended...
Gradius Deluxe Konami 1996, nice two pack of Gradius and Gradius 2 Gofer
Hyper Duel Technosoft Technosoft's second arcade game, improved Macross mechanics with classic Thunderforce gameplay
Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius Konami Much imporoved version of the third in the series, original on SNES
Kaitei Daisensou (aka In The Hunt) Imagineer (Irem original) Saturn version of the arcade original
Macross: Do You Remember Love? Bandai A shmup made off the famous anime series...
Metal Black Ving, original by Taito 1996, apparent sequel to Gun Frontier, even though they have nothing in common...
Sengoku Blade Psikyo Sequel to the arcade Sengoku Ace, horizontal scrolling
Sexy Parodius (psx review) Konami Fourth in the series, very cute cartoon women abundant here. Also PSX version...
Sol Divide Psikyo Shmup where you're a human character, quite poor game
Super Dimension Fortress Macross Bandai Visual Another shmup made from the famous anime...
Thunderforce Gold Pack 1 Technosoft Stuffed to the brim with Thunderforce 2 and Thunderforce 3. Worth hunting down!
Thunderforce Gold Pack 2 Technosoft Jam packed with Thunderforce AC and Thunderforce 4 - the best out of the two, and rare as hell!
Thunderforce V Technosoft Fifth in the series, made a trip into 3D and kicks lots of ****! Also on PSX as Thunderforce 5 Perfect System, the poorer cousin...

Other Shmups
GAME TITLE COMPANY INFORMATION
Arcade Gears: Image Fight and X-Multiply Xing Really sought after duo pack of Irem arcade games X-Multiply and Image Fight
Dezaemon 2 Athena Awesome create-a-shmup game! REQUIRES a Saturn backup cartridge.
Konami Antiques MSX Collection Ultra Pack Konami Huge pack of classic Konami MSX shooties
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus Konami Salamander, Salamander 2 and Lifeforce in one. Worth having for Sala 2 alone!
Tempest 2000 Atari (?) Super trippy vector shootie
kernow wrote:
Cmon chop I wanna see your manly bricklayer arms.
hitorkori
Please Continue...
eBay: hitorkori
Initials: fiz

Post by hitorkori »

R2-2D wrote:There has got to be more love for the Neo Geo, am i the only one who votes for the daddy of all consoles ?
i voted neo as played so much ss2 & kof series
ps3 gamertag hitorkorif1z

I'm not locked in here with you, YOU'RE locked in here with ME
[http://live.xbox.com/member/HITORKORIF1Z
matt
Please Continue...
eBay: msephton

Post by matt »

Close between the DC and SNES, DC just pipped it as it was the console that reignited my passion for games
neofrank

Post by neofrank »

Voted Neo, cause that was the one I could never have when I was younger and always wanted (you know your parents woulda slapped you for thinking about spending $600 on a video game system)

Also I am surprised no love for the PC Engine so far.
Lordstar
Vinyl Pusher

Post by Lordstar »

I do see the appeal of the dreamcast i just cant belive how popular it is over greats like the MD and SNES.
Alec
Please Continue...

Post by Alec »

voted for super nintendo. also really love regular nintendo.
rtyper
Please Continue...

Post by rtyper »

Hi, New kid on the block,
Voted PC Engine on the basis that of all the consoles that I owned (and still have) its games consistantly impressed. If not blew me away with their graphics and playability. Purely as a shooters machine nothing compared at the time. Started out with the basic white unit and CDrom. These are now complemented by a SuperGraphx, PC Engine GT, PC Engine DuoR and I still buy the games (although the prices are looking a bit scary for some titles). A real gamers machine.
pubjoe
Fosters Political Ambitions

Post by pubjoe »

Neo Geo is surely the Best. Console. Ever. But the question above the poll is "which console holds the best memories for you" and that's got to be snes/MD for most people here.

Hard to decide what to vote for, but in the end, I have to go for the predictable Snes vote for best memories. Imported snes with Mario IV, Zelda and Street Fighter 2!!! ...My God I had never seen anything that could touch those games on a home console ever before - they are still probably my all-time 3 favorites.