Forget the XRGB.... get the new SLG3000

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
fagin

Forget the XRGB.... get the new SLG3000

Post by fagin »

Ok... slight exaggeration I know.

A new funky "Scanline" device has just been launch for a measley 50 Euros. I have bought one and it should arrive this week sometime.

I images I have seen look the **** on a LCD.

Bang a SCART RGB to VGA scaler before this baby and you will be able to shove anything through to LCD with nice scanlines. :D

I'm really looking forward to getting this device for my 360 / PS3 hook-up to my cabs. Scalined CAVE ports anyone! :D

Full info and ordering information over at system11 -> http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33454"
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Re: Forget the XRGB.... get the new SLG3000

Post by emphatic »

Yeah, I can hardly wait for mine to arrive either. It doesn't even need external power. :awe:
Rossyra
Supermod

Post by Rossyra »

ikaruga007
eBay: dex511
Initials: PJN

Post by ikaruga007 »

Will be great for the 360 shooters that lacks scanlines, i.e. Deathsmiles. Note though that if you'r using it on an LCD, depending on how it handles the scaling from 640x480 to its native resolution, the nice scanlines may be ruined.

The XRGB isn't even able to add scanlines to a VGA signal so really looking forward to using this between the 360 and 31khz Nanao 2932 in my cab.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

And the fact that you can choose to have it draw scanlines on even or odd lines is great, as it can "fix" upscaled interlaced signals as well. I got mine to add scanlines to Ketsui and DOJ BL Extra on my 24kHz NANAO screen, but I still don't know if the lines will work well on the 640x384 resolution my Ultracade UVC outputs. :think: I can always use it for my LCD or Plasma though. :awe:
fagin

Post by fagin »

I will be interested, of course, to see how it performs with a LCD but to be honest I have bought it for my CRT's. As already said it will be good to see it perform on the 360, ps3, xbox, gamecube and ps2 etc.
joeblade
You're looking good Tim

Post by joeblade »

Ordered mine last week!! :awe:
Looking foward to some xbox 360 cave/scanline shizzle soon!! :D
For gods sake, its a carton box - not the holy grail!
Animaitor
Please Continue...
eBay: aitortxo
Initials: AGR

Post by Animaitor »

Same here. I already own one XRGB-3 and Emotia but the SLG3000 is much simpler (plug and play). Can't wait to compare the results. If I ever get a cab, it'll also be helpful.
fagin wrote:I will be interested, of course, to see how it performs with a LCD but to be honest I have bought it for my CRT's. As already said it will be good to see it perform on the 360, ps3, xbox, gamecube and ps2 etc.
I don't see how the SLG3000 will help on a PS3... the output resolution must be no higher than 640X480 or the scanline effect might be too thin to be noticeable :problem:
ikaruga007
eBay: dex511
Initials: PJN

Post by ikaruga007 »

Got my SLG3000 today :)

Just tested it briefly with Deathsmiles on the 360. Extremely simple, just plug the 360 in one end and the monitor into the other. Then adjust the desired strength of the scanlines on the knob.

So far, I prefer Deathsmiles 360 version with only faint scanlines. Snapped a quick image with full scanlines on the cab, 640x480 on a Nanao 2932 monitor.
Deathsmiles_Scanlines.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

ikaruga007 wrote:Got my SLG3000 today :)

Just tested it briefly with Deathsmiles on the 360. Extremely simple, just plug the 360 in one end and the monitor into the other. Then adjust the desired strength of the scanlines on the knob.

So far, I prefer Deathsmiles 360 version with only faint scanlines. Snapped a quick image with full scanlines on the cab, 640x480 on a Nanao 2932 monitor.
Excuse me, I've just come.

Seems like a decent result!

Can anyone recommend a good SCART RGB to VGA adapter to work with this? Specifically, I'm looking for something for connecting a SNES, Mega Drive, etc. to an LCD TV via an SLG3000.
ImageImageImageImage
fagin

Post by fagin »

Animaitor,
The scanline level can be altered. I have seen a couple of screenshots from a PS3 through this and it looks the ****! :mrgreen:

Ikaruga007,
That looks very nice...... can't wait for this to turn up now! 8-)
fagin

Post by fagin »

idc wrote:
ikaruga007 wrote:Got my SLG3000 today :)

Excuse me, I've just come.

Seems like a decent result!

Can anyone recommend a good SCART RGB to VGA adapter to work with this? Specifically, I'm looking for something for connecting a SNES, Mega Drive, etc. to an LCD TV via an SLG3000.
Apparantly the CGA to VGA convertors on ebay work well.

You can also use the syncblaster sold by Maplins.
Animaitor
Please Continue...
eBay: aitortxo
Initials: AGR

Post by Animaitor »

fagin wrote:Animaitor,
The scanline level can be altered. I have seen a couple of screenshots from a PS3 through this and it looks the ****! :mrgreen:
Then I'll give it a try with the PS3 as well. Thanks fagin.
idc
Ralf Little impersonator
eBay: iancourt
Initials: IAN

Post by idc »

fagin wrote:Apparantly the CGA to VGA convertors on ebay work well.

You can also use the syncblaster sold by Maplins.
Nice one, two worthy options there, thanks. :)
ImageImageImageImage
ckong
Please Continue...

Post by ckong »

I did see a prototype version of the SLG 3000 in action last November on a CRT monitor and it looked awesome, really awesome. I highly recommend this device to every scanline junk and I can't wait until my units arive.
supergoose
Please Continue...

Post by supergoose »

mine should arrive later this week.
Wanted: SNK Candy 18 spares. Mainly looking for a marquee holder & the "video games" sign.
xlr8d
Please Continue...

Post by xlr8d »

slg3000 get your unit now ! ;)

its a aweseom device. got mine last week :shock: wow!
some pics of the prototype test run > http://picasaweb.google.com/vomitus.rec ... 0PROTOTYP1#"
niconiconico
Please Continue...
Initials: AAA

Post by niconiconico »

What about the brightness guys? Do you have some darkening about display?
xlr8d
Please Continue...

Post by xlr8d »

niconiconico wrote:What about the brightness guys? Do you have some darkening about display?
sure tone down every second line of the image will end in slighty darker picture but it looks absolutely authentic. just what happend if scanlines appearing. first line regular brightness, next line dimmed,...aso. intensity of the scanlines is infinitely adjustable via poti.
slg3000 works fine on hires crt screens :D i test it with noami & blast city. cave´s console conversion e.g. for xbox360, ps2 via scaler looking quite good with vga scanlines
Last edited by xlr8d on January 25th, 2011, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supergoose
Please Continue...

Post by supergoose »

xlr8d wrote:
niconiconico wrote:What about the brightness guys? Do you have some darkening about display?
sure tone down every second line of the image will end in slighty darker picture but it looks absolutely authentic.
that's exactly what i want to happen. imo a darker picture is easier on the eyes.
Wanted: SNK Candy 18 spares. Mainly looking for a marquee holder & the "video games" sign.