Anyone tried hacking a PSP -> JAMMA?

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Anyone tried hacking a PSP -> JAMMA?

Post by emphatic »

Is it possible to hack the controls? Because the slim at least has a component output that can be used in a high res cabinet or with a UVC without problems. I know there is a way that you can use a plugin for the PSP to send controls to a Blutooth adapter, but I would prefer just adding a JAMMA fingerboard to a PSP. If the Ghost n' Goblins port isn't worth it, the emulators will be, as I understand CPS2 games at least runs quite effortlessly on it?
Akuma
Can't stay away from students
eBay: Akuma.from.the.Arcade

Re: Anyone tried hacking a PSP -> JAMMA?

Post by Akuma »

Erm... Street Fighter Zero 3 Double Upper isn't THAT good... ;)
emphatic
Breastfeeds when required
eBay: jorgen_sjolander
Initials: JOR

Post by emphatic »

spmbx wrote:I personally think the tv-out looks **** on a tv with tv-out, crappy res over component looks ****. I imagine hacking the controls would be the same as modding any other joypad with the difference that its a bit more expensive to **** it up than a joypad.
I thought the PSP could be set to output 480p over Component? Surely that must look good?
pogfanatic
Please Continue...
Initials: SIK

Post by pogfanatic »

If you Can find a psp on a cheap I would imagine it maybe possible to use an rgb upscan with vga/jamma adapter and just wire up the psp to jamma. Would be sweet for metal slug xx, ghouls n ghost, space invaders extreme, and other arcade hits on the psp.
wombat
Initials: WBT

Post by wombat »

Won't the aspect ratio of regular PSP releases make it look sh#t on a arcade monitor? Even tough it sounds awesome to play Space Invaders Extreme on a cab; 16:9 on 4:3 makes the coolness go away. Unfortuatly the PSP video-out option doesn't output full screen video; the 16:9 image is surrounded by allot of black borders on all sides.
pogfanatic
Please Continue...
Initials: SIK

Post by pogfanatic »

there is no arcade equivalent to space invaders extreme is there? I wish there was one. Maybe 360 in the vewlix time.
Aypok
Please Continue...
eBay: aypok
Initials: AYP

Post by Aypok »

pogfanatic wrote:there is no arcade equivalent to space invaders extreme is there? I wish there was one.
Seconded. I've spent countless hours playing this on my DS, but it really knackers my thumbs... I'd love to play that with proper controls (and a proper display, for that matter). Such a good game.
Violator and subject to severe penalties and will be prosecutedt to the full extent of the jam

<kernow> I am indeed a happy mother ****