Scud Race Emulation

Console, handheld and computer games, retro and modern.
gundarN
Officially Special
Initials: guN

Scud Race Emulation

Post by gundarN »

My stance on using emulators has softened over the past year. I have to face it, there's loads of games I know I'll never own where emulation is the only viable option.
It started with a PC-98 emulator as I know I'll never own the hardware, and, well, one thing led to another and before I knew it, I was playing Outrunners with my steering wheel.
I moved on to Model 2 emulation (http://nebula.emulatronia.com/) which seems to work pretty well with analogue controls, and on a whim, I decided to try a Model 3 emulator (https://www.supermodel3.com/).

Only Scud Race and Daytona USA 2 run almost perfectly and took very little effort to get running with my wheel and pedals (considering it has no front-end); but even if there is no further progress with the emulator, it still runs a couple of awesome games with no conversions available (besides the tracks unlockable in OutRun 2).
I'm sure I had read back in the day (probably Edge magazine) that Scud Race was fairly mediocre. That was ****. Scud Race is possibly the most Sega driving game they've ever made and [sort of] upscaling to 1080P it looks and plays amazingly.

While I like Daytona USA, I've always preferred Sega Rally, and it seems that on Model 3 I prefer Scud to Daytona. That said, I had thought the track with the swinging pirate ship was in Scud Race, when it's actually in Daytona USA 2 on a track that seems more Scud Race than Daytona )of which I approve).
Hopefully they'll get Sega Rally 2 running properly at some point.

If you've not tried Supermodel, you should give it a shot. I like to think I'm saving a pound every game I play.
I also **** hate the DAYTONAAAAAAAA soundtrack, and seem to be in the minority there.

At least you can chose who's singing you want in Daytona USA 2; but it's still a bit ****.
SuperPang
Master or universe
eBay: *_*
Initials: JOE

Re: Scud Race Emulation

Post by SuperPang »

Scud Race looked absolutely mind blowing for the time and has aged pretty damn well. I've been waiting for a port since '96. I really wish SEGA would let M2 do a Model 3 AGES. That would be special.

Mac user here so I decided not to waste my time trying to get Super Model running well.
gundarN
Officially Special

Post by gundarN »

Is it wrong that I like the exotic looking Short Course all waterfalls and birds in Daytona USA 2: Battle on the Edge, more than the more traditional replacement in Power Edition? It's more in keeping with the following medium course with the ship and castles.
It's not very realistic; but Sega.
arcnl

Post by arcnl »

I've had it up and running for a while but playing with a wheel on a desk is not really my thing. I had expected that the 32" lcd racing cabs would get more abundant and cheap on local auction sites but that never happened. Before that i don't think i will get back into it.
nem
Needs a custom rank

Post by nem »

gundarN wrote: April 29th, 2021, 11:05 pmIs it wrong that I like the exotic looking Short Course all waterfalls and birds in Daytona USA 2: Battle on the Edge, more than the more traditional replacement in Power Edition?
Wrong? You couldn't be more right!

The biodome is gorgeous. I love it. Meanwhile the short course in PE is the most boring thing ever. I hate playing it.

Too bad there's not a definitive version of this game. BotE has the better short course and the hidden Hornet has adjustable stats. Meanwhile PE has the Challenge course.
outrun2
eBay: thefonzzz
Initials: GAZ

Post by outrun2 »

Couldn't agree more nem, BOTE is in my twin 95% of the time. If only it had the mix course :think:

On the subject of Scud Race, it is a stunner and runs well in a Daytona 2 cab with no modification. The drive board ROM for D2 seems fine with Scud, or am I missing something by not using the Scud drive board ROM?

I should figure out an easy way to switch the D2 DSB2 for the Scud DSB1 though to get that ingame music.
Wanted:
Sega Model 3 Emergency Call Ambulance ROM board or complete Step 2 boardset.
CTN
eBay: ctn2005
Initials: CTN

Post by CTN »

Still holding on hope for legit ports of all the Model 3 games. Especially the drivers. After the Sega Rally 2 port, which made me buy the Dreamcast I'm still waiting for Scud and Daytona 2.

These games are the essence of Sega
gundarN
Officially Special

Post by gundarN »

With racing games: How wrong is it to use other cars when cornering?

I've played racing games for a while, more enthusiasm following Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2. I don't recall using opponents cars as a driving aid then; but certainly from the original Gran Turismo onwards.

I sadly own a Ridge Racer cabinet with a knackered monitor, mostly used for racing to Rotterdam Nation, if I'm being honest. My ricochet tactics saw me through the whole series till I lost interest after the 3DS one. Are they still making Ridge Racer games?

My habit of using other cars to my advantage and to allow me to drive more aggressively than the game expects a reasonable driver would, means that I always avoid online racing (other than some Daytona USA on the PS3 a while back). I wouldn't enjoy racing against me, particularly.

Back to the thread: Scud Race is excellent for power-sliding into opponents to gain an advantage when cornering. Is this cheating?
And with all my dirty tactics, you might think I'd be good at racing games. I'm not.
Less Michael Schumacher, more Dick Dastardly.